Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably the only one hanging around here, but I'm a big Coldplay fan, so I just got finished listening to their new album, Viva La Vida.

If you like Coldplay, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't love this album. If you don't like Coldplay, I doubt this will do anything to change your mind.

Also, they sound more like U2 than ever -- no surprise, given that Brian Eno was one of the producers.

Film music hardly makes up the majority of what I listen to.

I agree the new Coldplay album is very good its easily their best.

I think that I still think that A Rush of Blood to the Head is their best album (and maybe their best song, also), but I also think that you can make a pretty solid case for any of the four being the best.

What will the wife say?

I just told her I had some CDs coming, didn't tell her how many.

I've got too many as it is, she'll never notice. :fouetaa:

I listen. I usually don't listen to the music I trade for. Unless it's something I really want. I have Justin Caine Burnett's score to I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer. I don't want to listen to it, I'm sure you don't want to either.

The book was fantastic, IMO.

I Am Legend just arrived. Haven't heard it yet, but it's my 16th JNH CD.

Just finished listening to I Am Legend. A truly beautiful score, JNH was brilliant on this one. "Evacuation" is so touching. And I love the main theme.

Just finished listening to I Am Legend. A truly beautiful score, JNH was brilliant on this one. "Evacuation" is so touching. And I love the main theme.

I find it nothing special. It's all right, has some interesting cues, but Howard has done couple of better scores recently.

I like the main mournful theme. Classic JNH. But there really isn't anything else on the album worth listening to.

I actually posted in the wrong thread, those were meant for the listening thread.

Yes they are. I took a gamble on the Delerue score, it's been on my SAE wish list for over a year. It's from 1968, the sound quality is very good for a mono source. Here are a few soundclips:

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/thibcrusorso.html

The Green Berets - Miklos Rozsa

What'd you think of this one, Mark? it's one of the few FSM Rozsa's that I do not have yet.

It's a good score. Familiar Rozsa sound, heavy on the strings with an oriental mixture. Even the arrangement of the Green Beret ballad is catchy

I actually posted in the wrong thread, those were meant for the listening thread.

Yes they are. I took a gamble on the Delerue score, it's been on my SAE wish list for over a year. It's from 1968, the sound quality is very good for a mono source. Here are a few soundclips:

http://buysoundtrax.stores.yahoo.net/thibcrusorso.html

Thanks Mark for the recommendation, just ordered it too! :lol:

Good, I can't wait to hear it!

I also need to get Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinnochio, and Peter Pan.

If you're a Horner fan, you should pick up An American Tail: Fievel Goes West. That score is simply brilliant.

Then I'm sure you would love Fievel Goes West. It's not discussed often around here, or ever. I saw the movie recently on TV and forgot how good it was. Last time I saw it was probably when I was a child. Very good work from Horner, and I don't think he copied himself for it too.

I got quite a bit of good stuff today.

Shaken and Stirred - David Arnold

Symphonic Star Trek - Erich Kunzel

Star Trek II - James Horner

Angela's Ashes - John Williams

Gone With the Wind (Gerhardt Re-recording) - Max Steiner

btw, who the hell thought that putting the entire story on the booklet of Star Trek II was a good idea?

Wall-E, whatever dippoo designed the CD packaging for this should lashed 100 times.

Took me forever to get the damn CD out of the cardboard sleeve.

Haha, and a question, Koray. I'm coming down to Baltimore tomorrow/Monday becuase my sister's boyfriend's band has a gig down there. Do you know of any good used CD shops in the city that I could hit? I looked up one that seems good, The Sound Garden? I'd be interested in your opinion though.

I can't really help you out there. I do pretty much all of my shopping on Amazon. Besides, I'm down in Bethesda, which is about an hour away from Baltimore, so I don't know the area very well. Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

Just got:

The Prince of Egypt - Hans Zimmer (found it brand new for $5 at Half Price)

The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

-Ben, who has missed posting here for some reason...

Both great Zimmer scores. Unfortunately, the OST of The Prince Of Egypt doesn't include Chariot Race, which is the best score track IMO. I bought Selections From The Prince Of Egypt just to get it.

The Lion King is in dire need on a real score release. Four short cues on the soundtrack doesn't serve it justice.

But the expanded score also reveals some of the score's short-comings. There are some synth based cues in there that really detract from the beauty of the rest of the score.

My SAE order arrived today, finally catching up on the "need to get" list: Alien, Spaceballs, and Farscape Vol. 1. Oh, and I got a fridge magnet. :lol:

But the expanded score also reveals some of the score's short-comings. There are some synth based cues in there that really the beauty of the rest of the score.

The synth use is a hindrance on the score.

I actually didn't think it was so terrible in TLK. There's definitely been worse. And the cue where Rafiki discovers that Simba is alive is well worth an expanded release on its own.