Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

I received Desplat's The Luzhin Defence, Rolfe Kent's Sideways, and Shore's A History of Violence.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, no shipment notification either - though I usually don't get one. I ordered within the first minutes of the Bernstein box being announced, so I can't imagine them waiting much longer to send my order out.

Ordered the new FSM Westerns box, today.

Varese gives some people notices and some they don't.

I used to get a shipping notice when they shipped UPS but ever since they switched to USPS I quit getting them but my packages started arriving quicker.

I still show 6 orders over the past 6 years as pending even though I've received them.

Same here. I generally find myself ordering the Varese CDs through SAE. $5 more, but the comfort of being to combine labels and knowing what's the status of my package is generally worth the cost. This time, I only ordered Varese because I wanted to get another CD that SAE did not have available.

I quit getting shipping confirmations from SAE about a year ago.

Yeah, but it's easy to call them, and they're quite helpful.

Me too. Yesterday I opened my mailbox and there was my SAE package, then I open my virtual mailbox and there's my shipping confirmation. :lol:

I quit getting shipping confirmations from SAE about a year ago.

Yeah, but it's easy to call them, and they're quite helpful.

Oh I'm not worried about getting a shipping confirmation. It will arrive when it arrives.

Children Of Dune by Brian Tyler

Hamlet by Patrick Doyle

Henry V by Patrick Doyle

The World Is Not Enough by David Arnold

Plunkett & MacLeane by Craig Armstrong

Elizabeth: The Golden Age by Craig Armstrong

The Painted Veil by Alexandre Desplat

Syriana by Alexandre Desplat

Intrada's Heavy Metal by Elmer Bernstein

Intrada's Baby: Secret Of The Lost Legend by Jerry Goldsmith

The Russia House by Jerry Goldsmith

The Shipping News by Christopher Young

Lake Placid by John Ottman

Van Helsing by Alan Silvestri

Batman Forever by Elliot Goldenthal

Island Of Lost Souls by Jane Cornish

Kuffs by Harold Faltermeyer

The first two are must haves, although Thunderball is a tad bit repetative. The other 3 are ok but nothing truly special.

Diamonds are Forever is the one I listen to most. Extremely varied, and it's all gold.

All the Barry scores are pretty good, but I think my favorite is On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It's a great score, and the first one I ever owned -- on cassette!

Diamonds are Forever is the one I listen to most. Extremely varied, and it's all gold.

All the Barry scores are pretty good, but I think my favorite is On Her Majesty's Secret Service. It's a great score, and the first one I ever owned -- on cassette!

I just bought that one two days ago! Funny that Bond came up, I just recently decided to begin collecting all the scores available.

Got my Elmer Bernstein box from Varese today.

Alien - Goldsmith

Fahrenheit 451 / The Twilight Zone - Herrmann

To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein

Cinderella Liberty - Williams

Star Trek II - Horner

I decided to splurge on classic film composers. TKAM is a damned good score.

Alien - Goldsmith

Fahrenheit 451 / The Twilight Zone - Herrmann

To Kill a Mockingbird - Elmer Bernstein

Cinderella Liberty - Williams

Star Trek II - Horner

I decided to splurge on classic film composers. TKAM is a damned good score.

Indeed. Nice purchase all around, looks like. Alien is one I'm definitely glad I purchased.

Just got:

Selections from The Prince of Egypt - Zimmer/Various (for the non-OST cues)

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration - John Williams

Far and Away - John Williams

Some comments:

1. I love used book/music places, although I'm sometimes leery of the fact that I don't know who had this previously (and almost didn't buy these items at the sudden intrusion of that thought), but the better condition it's in, the less concerned I am, and I am truly glad for the albums I've purchased here.

2. I didn't listen to the first track yet, but maybe Koray can help me with this: the second half of "Chariot Race" sounds in some ways to be the finale, but I know the last segment is DEFINITELY not it, and I don't think it's even in the film. Is this the true ending (with the one in film being tracked from the ending of the opening), an alternate ending, or something else completely different?

3. Though I haven't gotten to finish it, I'm absolutely loving Far and Away. Outstanding music. Also, the more I hear of this and the more I relisten to Hook, the more convinced I am that Williams truly was going for an early 90's sound for KOTCS, in direct chronological descent from LC. Very interesting, and only making my appreciation for the score grow that much more.

4. If the selection on The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration is any decent representation, I don't understand why Always gets such a bad rep. It's quite nice, and I'm really glad I picked up the CD. I really want to get all of the scores on there now--and it feels so great to have the "March from 1941" in my collection.

Perhaps the most important bit on Collaboration is the performance of Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra. It pwns (for lack of a better word) the original soundtrack recording.

I still like both recordings. The Collaboration performance does have a really good kick to it, but I also like the fullness of the soundtrack recording, and I find that long brass note for the flying Nazi to be more satisfying on the soundtrack.

I still like both recordings. The Collaboration performance does have a really good kick to it, but I also like the fullness of the soundtrack recording, and I find that long brass note for the flying Nazi to be more satisfying on the soundtrack.

The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration was one of the first CDs I ever owned, and it's probably one of the ones I own that's been played the most often. It's a great, great CD. I'd love to see a Volume 2 of that puppy to fill in the years since.

2. I didn't listen to the first track yet, but maybe Koray can help me with this: the second half of "Chariot Race" sounds in some ways to be the finale, but I know the last segment is DEFINITELY not it, and I don't think it's even in the film. Is this the true ending (with the one in film being tracked from the ending of the opening), an alternate ending, or something else completely different?

I have no idea. Haven't seen the movie in awhile.

I'll be buying Blood on my Hands, Harvey Two-Face and Watch the World Burn from 7Digital as soon as tomorrow comes in about 1 1/2 hours. The only 3 tracks from the score I appear to like, and damn good they are.

I literally just pre-ordered the re-recording of El Cid for almost $42 US. Not wishing my life away or anything, I can't wait for September. With that album, and Spore and Star Wars: Force Unleashed coming out, it's going to be a hard one on my wallet.

Bought from Barnes and Noble:

The Untouchables - Ennio Morricone

Terrific album. The sequencing is a bit weird; not having seen the film, just the effect of having "Machine Gun Lullaby" be last, "End Credits" be at the start, and "Main Titles" be in the middle is a little loopy. At the same time, there's a neat effect if you start on "The Man With the Matches." It almost feels like it's a prologue leading into the main titles. I'll be resequencing it once my computer is all fixed up.

Anyway, as for the actual music itself: I found this by looking for the music that played on the teaser trailer for The Spirit. It really caught my ear, and when I found it on SoundtrackNet, I listened to the samples, and from then on it just clawed at me. I had to have this thing. And I'm not disappointed. The theme from "The Strength of the Righteous" is really cool, with neat variations throughout--the most prominent one being "On the Rooftops" (nicely transferring the harmonica melody to ragtime piano). The "Untouchables" theme is a fine uplifting theme--I can see it being played triumphantly over the finale of a movie. The softer elements--"Death Theme" and "Ness and His Family"--are very pretty. "Death Theme" is rather striking in its wonderful combination of sadness, reflection, and comfort. Beautiful. And "Ness and His Family" is also very nice.

This is my first Morricone album, and I highly recommend it.

Just received the Cinderella Liberty/Scorpio batch, that Marco Polo compilation and, finally, the first vol. of Man from UNCLE.