Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't actively seeking it either, a friend sent along a copy and I figured what the hell.

Your friend sounds like a real bastard.

I also found a leaked copy of Clone Wars. Two or three tracks are kind of fun; the rest, whatever.

I wasn't actively seeking it either, a friend sent along a copy and I figured what the hell.

Your friend sounds like a real bastard.

Yes, I'm thinking of putting together a few PotC cues and sending it to him saying it's The Force Unleashed.

If you guys hate it, I must love it.

See, the weird thing is, is that it sounds like Kiner has some talent, but you go from a weird version of the main theme (not necessarily bad, just so different that doesn't compute as a main title for Star Wars), to somewhat more traditional but still not exactly Star Wars action/intensity underscoring (again, not necessarily bad, SOTE being a precedent, although a much better one), to the outright rock (WRONG!!!!) of "Obi-Wan to the Rescue," and some jazz lounge music in a later sample, and from the few samples I've heard, it's almost starting to sound like a demo disc to show what he can do. If the samples are any real gauge of the album as a whole, it seems to me that it would be a wildly inconsistent listen. It's certainly not making me any more excited for the "movie," that's for sure.

If you guys hate it, I must love it.

See, the weird thing is, is that it sounds like Kiner has some talent, but you go from a weird version of the main theme (not necessarily bad, just so different that doesn't compute as a main title for Star Wars), to somewhat more traditional but still not exactly Star Wars action/intensity underscoring (again, not necessarily bad, SOTE being a precedent, although a much better one), to the outright rock (WRONG!!!!) of "Obi-Wan to the Rescue," and some jazz lounge music in a later sample, and from the few samples I've heard, it's almost starting to sound like a demo disc to show what he can do. If the samples are any real gauge of the album as a whole, it seems to me that it would be a wildly inconsistent listen. It's certainly not making me any more excited for the "movie," that's for sure.

And the leitmotif leaves a lot to be desired. Kiner's new themes are total snoozers. Williams's themes are used sparingly and inconsistently, and it seems like Kiner didn't really care about thematic continuity; that is, you'll hear bits of "Lando's Palace" and "Mos Eisley Spaceport" but no Emperor's theme.

Clemmenson made a good point in his review that the music doesn't feel out of this world, and this is especially apparent in the typical source cues.

Clemmenson made a good point in his review that the music doesn't feel out of this world, and this is especially apparent in the typical source cues.

Wasn't the whole idea of JW's SW scores that it should feel familiar and traditional, despite the bizarre alien worlds?

indy4 - who hasn't heard the score yet aside from samples

Man, you guys are brutal!

I picked up my copy of it today (I did have the "floating" copy, but actually wanted a case with covers) and I have to say, I quite enjoy it. The Battle of Christophsis is pretty cool, great action music with direction. I do like the rock elements to it, granted it's very un-Star Wars like (except that brief guitar in AOTC), but I started my musical career in rock, so I can maybe accept it a bit more easily. Not many composers, unfortunately Williams included, can't combine both genres to make it sound good. Kiner I think did a fine job on that (Debney's Scorpion King and Joel Goldsmith's Kull are other great examples of great combinations of rock meets symphonic).

The only thing that stood out to me is the cue Courtyard Fight, which sounds like the first part of it came right out of Black Hawk Down. I don't think it's bad, but maybe a bit too obvious on what the temp track was.

Overall, I think it's pretty damn good.

Jamesyboy - getting ready to be blasted...

Recieved from Intrada today...

Shogun - Jarre

Also went to the used CD store in Princeton again today, got the following all for $65...

Instinct - Elfman

The Passion of the Christ - Debney

The Mists of Avalon - Holdridge

The Blue Max - Goldsmith

Pleasantville - Randy Newman

Wolf - Morricone

Legends of the Fall - Horner

Babe - Westlake

The Missing - Horner

First Knight - Goldsmith

The New World - Horner

Bicentennial Man - Horner

The Matrix Revolutions - Davis

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Tan Dun

Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams

John Williams: Greatest Hits arrived.

Isn't that too late to buy this one given that - I suppose - you probably have most of that tracks on various albums already?

I bought it something like 6 or 7 years ago when my knowledge of Williams' works was much smaller. Oh, what a glorious moment in life it was, when I went through that album for the first time...

Isn't that too late to buy this one given that - I suppose - you probably have most of that tracks on various albums already?

I bought it something like 6 or 7 years ago when my knowledge of Williams' works was much smaller. Oh, what a glorious moment in life it was, when I went through that album for the first time...

I bought it mostly for cues that have different arrangments/performances, but there are many cues I've never heard before.

I bought it mostly for cues that have different arrangments/performances

None do. There are cues that are different to the soundtracks, but those are just excerpts from the various full-length albums of concert cues & stuff.

I bought it to fullfill my Columbia House thing.

I think some of the cues were taken from some of the CD Williams recorded with the Boston Pops.

I am purchasing the following Compact Discs later today from "Amazon.com", most of which I am embarassed to admit that I have not owned:

"Jaws" (2000 release) - I shall now rectify the error of having never owned a John Williams score from the early 1970's.

"E.T." (Extended Edition) - I can now stop kicking myself for not owning it.

"Hellboy II: The Golden Army" - I have not heard a "traditional" Danny Elfman score for a while.

"Serenada Schizophrana" - I have never heard it before.

"Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith" - I have been waiting for an expanded release for years, but I cannot resist the temptation any longer.

You shouldn't be embarrassed to 'admit' not owning certain scores. Your taste is your taste...

I don't have the full albums for Jaws or E.T. (only Star Wars from your list) and quite a few other classics. Hey, I just like some other composers.

I don't have Close Encounters. It's a gaping hole in my Williams collection. Hopefully it will go back into print.

Me neither, it's the one major hole left in my Williams collection.

I don't have Close Encounters. It's a gaping hole in my Williams collection. Hopefully it will go back into print.

Me neither, it's the one major hole left in my Williams collection.

I got mine at a Barnes & Noble for $17. I went home that day and checked Amazon to see how much cheaper I could have gotten it, and saw it being sold for like $70. Boy was I happy, it was the last copy at the store too.

You can still get the OST for cheap on Amazon. The collector's edition though, that's different.

Yeah. I've been a Broughton fan for a while, but even though I knew I liked the theme and the fact that it was a rich orchestral sci-fi score, it took me longer to really get it. But I was listening to some the other day, it's quite good.

Thank god Intrada released the near complete scored compared to the 30 minute version that was released with all those awful songs and techno re-mix of Williams' theme.

I still see the CE3K collector CD in stores like Borders, Barnes & Noble and Fry's Electronics.

I really can't recall if anything is missing from the score, with the exception of the music for inside the Mother ship and original End Credits.

My Williams collection is like a sponge. My problem is I find it hard to sit down and listen to an album, it's always like a track from here, then there. If a certain moment reminds me of something else I always feel compelled to switch over and listen to it which starts me on yet another adventure.

I recently acquired Journey to the Center of the Earth, and the video game score from Da Vinci Code, which I found, after hearing a clip on Top Gear, can be downloaded free from composer Gary Kibler's website.

Lost in Space is a fine score. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks! At first I was a bit underwhelmed, but I gave it another listen and I gotta say I'm really impressed!

Yeah, I was watching an old episode so it's probably been out for a while. Steef - a little research reveals it's s08e08.

I've been watching a heck of a lot of Top Gear lately and paying close attention to its music. I've discovered quite a lot of new material in the process. In case people don't know, there's a forum at http://forums.finalgear.com/top-gear-episode-songs/ that's dedicated to complete breakdowns of all the music used in every episode.

The TG editors must have access to every soundtrack ever released because the selections are staggeringly varied and include really obscure stuff.

Lost in Space is a fine score. I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks! At first I was a bit underwhelmed, but I gave it another listen and I gotta say I'm really impressed!

Well, Broughton's really a class act. He seems to be a great guy, and I haven't found a score by him I didn't like.