The Davinci Code Film - Bust or Bling?

pi

Is this movie going to be good or crappy?  

38 members have voted

1. 1.

• good
    • bad

Just was reading that the Vatican has declared a boycott on the film. The book was good sure but i have to admit this film looks really sh%tty from the trailers i have seen. At least it is creating a lot of stir - a ton of people are definately going to see the movie though!

PS hanks is bad casting

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say this. The subject matter has a good chance of being made into a cool movie, but the book is written horribly, and didn't make for a good read. I was intrigued by what it was trying to be, just not by the execution.

Tim

funny I think the movie looks very good, and the book was not very good.

The book was quite good. Slightly better written than the first part in the trilogy (which doesn't mean too much), but vastly inferior to that in terms of content and excitement. Still, it could make for a good film, and the casting decisions (especially as reflected in the trailer - e.g. Hanks' long hair) certainly show quite a bit of potential.

The Vatican's boycott is either a publicity stunt (on the Vatican's part) or paranoia, as far as I'm concerned.

Marian - afraid it still reduces the chances of an A&D movie though.

I think it will gross over a $100 million with the potential of $200. It's probably going to end up somewhere in between.

Im not sure how it will be, but it will make millions because right now I think its sort of a trendy thing. Im not sure it will have the impact that Passion or Private Ryan has had on people. I think that perhaps it will be forgotten by next year.

By the way, I saw the 9/11 film yesterday and it was absolutley magnificent.

I think I'm one of about five people in the world that hasn't read the book, but I'll probably go see the movie just to check it out. Tom Hanks is a favorite, mullet or not.

John- who has no prediction on the movie's quality

I think I'm one of about five people in the world that hasn't read the book

I guess I'm the other one. :|

wow, lol, so there are only two people not on here that haven't read the bock, LOL

Hanks just looks different.

And sounds different.....I don't see it. Of course, some might say that one should not judge according to the trailer....but no reason to bring logic into a perfectly good discussion, is there?

I have never complained about that. All I'm saying is, he looks neither interested or interesting in the trailer. Some of my favorite performances from movie stars are for different roles. I am not becoming William here, I am merely saying, I did not like Tom Hanks in this trailer.

I actually was not drawn in untill at least 70-80 pages in. I loved the historical stuff (a lot of which I understand was total mumbo jumbo), but I hated the main plot, didn't like the characters in particular, thought it was rather sloppy, and the end was just a total dud in every way.

I honestly think the DaVinci code will make 40 to 50 plus million on its opening day.

I guess I'm the other one. :devil:

wow, lol, so there are only two people not on here that haven't read the bock, LOL

:P

I think I'm one of about five people in the world that hasn't read the book,

I'm #4. :devil:

My wife has read the book.

I think I'm one of about five people in the world that hasn't read the book,

I'm #4. :P

Well, then I guess we're the only two Texans. :)

John- who has no plans to read it anytime soon

Then I'm definitely #5 LOL

I thought the trailer looked really cool. I'm not really into this thing, but any movie with ominous religious elements inrigues me. That's why I think ToD is only the third best of the Indy trilogy :)

I'm a Christian too, but I am smart enough to know its FICTION, and if your beliefs are corrupted by this book then your faith is the problem, not the book.

I'm also a Catholic and I don't have a problem at all with this sort of conspiracy theories, as they do form the basis for interesting fiction.

But I don't think it is particularly positive either when it seems to have become fashionable to put under the spotlight every single theory that may contradict the Bible in some way. All sorts of historical investigations are perfectly legitimate as long as they are intelectually responsible. When it becomes trendy to study this sort of thing, a lot of pseudo-science is going to get lots of attention.

BUt anyway, I do want to see this movie. I've never read the book, but it does seem to be an interesting thriller, and the locations should be captivating.

this book/film don't attack Catholocism as hard as Angel's and Demon's does, which is an outright assault.

While I don't particularly think he is a good writer, I am interested in seeing what form his next book takes.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book now. I don't think it's amazingly well-written, but it's a good story. I don't see why so many people are taking it so seriously though (like the people who are boycotting every movie directed by Ron Howard or starring Tom Hanks from now on... :roll:).

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the book now. I don't think it's amazingly well-written, but it's a good story. I don't see why so many people are taking it so seriously though (like the people who are boycotting every movie directed by Ron Howard or starring Tom Hanks from now on... :roll:).

The guy stinks at the actual writing part - but his plot is good. Mind you its the same plot he uses in every one of his stories, angels and demons is pretty mucht the exact same story with some small plot drifts. Hes just lucky its a subject that like everyone in the whole world is interested in.

The film looks like it could be good. It surely has a very interesting cast.

The book started off well, but turned into rubbish when Brown goes to great lengths to try and convince his readers of his theory. Starting with the big exposition passages, it all goes downhill.

Angels and Demons was far better (while not really a masterpiece of writing either).

• 2 weeks later...

This should be interesting this movie, its literally got the whole world talking. I mean when is the last time the Vatican mentioned a movie?? Passion? Its all the rage on the news.

6 reviews so far on Rottentomatos. The film so far scored a very impressive 0% on the tomatometer. It is apparantly 'Overblown', 'Melodramatic', 'Overlong', 'Occaisionaly boring', 'Opressively talky', 'Unweildy and bloated', 'Lifeless adaptation', 'Not satisfying on any level' and 'Vastly dissapointing' sticking out of the snippets offered.....So far, it seems like my initial instincts were correct, but we'll see this weekend.

Apparently it wasn't received too well at Cannes.

But then that's probably the hardest audience to please.

Reviews not looking good. I still got it see it anyway, out of respect.

Apparently it wasn't received too well at Cannes.

On the other hand, some of the comments I've read don't make much sense. Apparently, one critic said he liked it nearly as little as the book... well what did he expect?

Marian - who'll just have to see for himself.