Original Star Wars trilogy on DVD this fall

Seth

The only problem with that argument is that you have to believe that they were intentionally and artistically using effects differently back then. When in reality, Lucas' mentality hasn't changed. Use as many big effects as possible. It's just that now the technologically is a bit more intrusive.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well now that I've had a chance to really compare the Original Trilogy movies: Original Unaltered (VHS set) versus Special Editions (DVD set) I've finally decided what I don't like about the changes.

ANH: The music, audio, and color correction screw ups being the most obvious thing I hate. Some of the little "funny" stuff in Mos Eisley. The Han and Greedo scene (now that I've really compared the two). The scene with Jabba, they need to seriously work on him or just cut it out all together. The "There's no one here" line by the Storm Trooper after they've searched the Falcon needs to be cut. It seems so out of place. They also need to completely re-rotoscope all the sabers in this film to match the Prequels. Everything else for ANH is fine with me, including the new updated CG for the Battle Of Yavin.

ESB: Really not to much here. All though the biggest obvious thing I hate thate needs to be re-worked would be to cut down on the blueness that we see in the film. Han's line being changed about him building the shelter when he finds Luke doesn't bother me at all. Also the line that they changed for Luke after R-2 was spit out by the swamp creature doesn't bother me. The re-dubbing of Boba Fett's voice doesn't bother me after all Boba is a clone of Jango and he's supposed to be the same age as Jango was in AOTC when ESB rolls around. Also I like how they re-did the Vader and Emperor scene, much better now than before. You can obviously tell Vader is just playing dumb with Palpatine. Again like ANH all sabers need to be re-rotoscoped to match the Prequels. Definitely need to get rid of Vader's arrival on his Star Destroyer all together. That's always bugged me since I saw that in the theaters in 97'. It toally screws up the pacing of the film at that point and ruins the music. Vader's line, "Alert my Star Destroyer to prepare for my arrival" doesn't bother me at all.

ROTJ: Not much here either. Though like before all sabers need to be re-rotoscoped to match the Prequels. As far as "Jedi Rocks"...hmm, I'm kind of on the fence about that one still. It bothers me a bit but for the most part I tend to skip that scene. The beak for the Sarlaac pit I like so that doesn't bother me, infact to me it makes it look more meancing. Maybe add some slashes that the Lightsabers would cause like how we see them in ROTS when Anakin is killing the Seperatist leaders and possibly some limbs falling off. The line they changed for Han when he is about to shoot the tenticale(sp?) of the Sarlaac creature to save Lando doesn't bother me. Naboo at the end when they show all the planetary sequences during the Victory Celebration and Hayden being at the end of the movie doesn't bother me in the least bit.

Even though the changes I listed that I don't like do bother me a bit I tend to for the most part ignore them and just enjoy the films. Also regardless of these small changes that I don't like I still perfer the SE DVD set. I will still be buying the OUT DVD set though to retire my VHS versions and my VCR.

Han's line being changed about him building the shelter when he finds Luke doesn't bother me at all.
The line they changed for Han when he is about to shoot the tenticale(sp?) of the Sarlaac creature to save Lando doesn't bother me.

Huh? I don't remember either of these lines being changed.

Anyway, the other things I agree with you on, except I totally hate the new lines of dialogue between Vader and the Emporer in ESB.

You don't by any chance remember what the changes were?

It's weird because I just watched ESB and ROTJ SE's this weekend and I never noticed those lines were changed.

"On Hoth, when Luke is saying 'Yoda, dagobah', Han's line has been changed a tad. instead of saying 'this might smell bad, kid, but it'll keep you warm til i get the shelter built.' They changed the last word to 'up'."

It's a wonder I missed that. :roll:

If you watch the Originals and compare them to the SE's you'll also notice Lucas has trimmed footage from the films as well.

Neil had posted a thread several years ago showing examples.

Again, about the Asteroid Field: the cockpit scenes really pumped up the excitement. It's not so much what the ship is actually doing, but rather how it feels like inside of it.

He won't be cutting any scenes altogether. He says on the commentaries all the time, "I needed to have a scene that established..." No wonder why his dialogue is often terrible. He's too damn worried about tying up loose ends of a plot that he has overcomplicated.

Ted

Those dialogue changes, along with others like 3PO's mysteriously appearing and disappearing monologue while searching for the tractor beam, Luke's dialogue after R2 was shot out of the swamp, and others...are actually original 70mm dialogue. Apparently the 35mm and 70mm had some different dialogue replacements, and the 35 mm has generally been used for video tape. Its not really a change, per se.