Original Star Wars trilogy on DVD this fall

Seth

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's look at it this way:

If it looks good, as far as I'm concerned, all will be forgiven!

If it doesn't, we'll have fresh reasons to engage in one of our favorite past-times: bashing Lucasfilm.

So it's really a win-win situation, isn't it?

- Marc, who, after being overjoyed earlier, will now wait and see.

If it doesn't, we'll have fresh reasons to engage in one of our favorite past-times: bashing Lucasfilm.

So it's really a win-win situation, isn't it?

Hell Yeah!!!!!!! :wave:

Well, I'd like to counter Neil's unnamed sources with one that's definitely come through in the past:

We all remember Darth First, correct? That's the username of the person who essentially leaked any and all details about the 2004 set in August of that year, long before anyone knew what was really going on. Darth First pretty obviously has some kind of position inside the DVD industry as he got his copies around that August.

Darth First has stated they are NOT using the D2 masters, and are sourcing from film elements to make this DVD

Take from that what you will. He does say that's what he's heard from his people, but First has proved pretty reliable at this. He COULD be misled by these "sources" however, just as Neil's sources could be RIGHT. But still, thought I'd throw that out there, if only to muddy the waters even more :wave:

But now there's a proven source of DVD news stating that these DVD's are being sourced from film elements, not Laserdisc masters.

And to think there were actually "LD vs. DVD" picture quality debates when DVD first came about.

Well, to be fair, DVD picture quality back in '97 wasn't actually all that great, from what I remember. It has obviously improved, due to the potential of the format, and with TV technology, but I have early examples of some horrible transfers that I've since replaced with newer and better ones that came with updated editions.

Tim

And to think there were actually "LD vs. DVD" picture quality debates when DVD first came about.

Well, to be fair, DVD picture quality back in '97 wasn't actually all that great, from what I remember. It has obviously improved, due to the potential of the format, and with TV technology, but I have early examples of some horrible transfers that I've since replaced with newer and better ones that came with updated editions.

True, Blade Runner was one of the first DVDs and the transfer is horrible.

Why they releasing another Original Star Wars Trilogy on DVD, considering i got the Original Star Wars Trilogy on DVD?

Tim

I heard this debate as late as 2000. And even then, many DVDs I owned had exceptional picture quality, such as The Mummy, Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters II, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me and many others.

However, I was always suspicious about my Independence Day DVD that appeared so soft, it looked as if they got it from an LD master.

However, I was always suspicious about my Independence Day DVD that appeared so soft, it looked as if they got it from an LD master.

Not sure if it is, but I did notice a whole lot of ghosting on that. Not a really good transfer, actually, although it apparently got a new transfer when they released the extended cut without the theatrical version.

The commentary is taken straight from the LaserDisc, though.

Not sure if it is, but I did notice a whole lot of ghosting on that. Not a really good transfer, actually, although it apparently got a new transfer when they released the extended cut without the theatrical version.

The commentary is taken straight from the LaserDisc, though.

I'll wait for HD before buying this one again.

wtf? Hasn't there been a "Han shot first" T-shirt for ages? Available through originaltrilogy.com or some other OOT fansite?

I'd wear my Superman t-shirt first before I'd resort to desperate measures.

wtf? Hasn't there been a "Han shot first" T-shirt for ages? Available through originaltrilogy.com or some other OOT fansite?

ah, but this is official :)ROTFLMAO:sigh:

True, Blade Runner was one of the first DVDs and the transfer is horrible.

Speaking of which, when is the two-disc special edition being released? I know it's been rumored for time, but it's really starting to bother me. It's the best-looking and most atmospheric movie I think I've ever seen; I would like a good transfer and director's commentary! Oh, and I want the original cut on there too, which I still have yet to see.

Ted

I believe they're trying to get it ready for a 25th Anniversary release in 2007. No word on a specific release date yet, though.

I believe they're trying to get it ready for a 25th Anniversary release in 2007. No word on a specific release date yet, though.

They're still dealing with legal issues.

OK-

So I've been holding out to purchase the classic trilogy on DVD. With the September release of the classic in unaltered form, and the dig. remastered versions coming out, my question is:

I assume the special editions from the classic films are the DVDs currently avalible on the market? And that the ones coming in September are NOT the SEs, just the re-released ones that came out on VHS back in the late 1990s?

What I am looking for are the SEs on DVD and the original unaltered ones. Does this mean I'd have to purchase the box set out there now AND the one in September to make this work?

Thanks!

The September release will feature both the 2004 versions and the original theatrical editions.

The SEs from 1997 will not be available.

So if I remember, every edition of ROTJ pre-1995 THX, was slightly higher on the TV to make room for more subtitles at the bottom.

Does anybody remember that?

That can't be the case here, Can It????? Not in 2006!!!!

it seems that I wasted my money on the previous Orignal DVD Trilogy box set and now this newer version with even better quality and much more sharper video image comes along. unless I buy both DVD version?

is the video of better quality?

Transferred from the original Betamax tapes with high definition mono sound.

I won't be surprised if the first disc will be identical to the 2004 release. Inverted music and off-color shots and all.

I wish they would have used the original poster art. There's no nostalgia in crappy PhotoShop art.

- Marc, who thinks the Vader pose on ESB looks like something out of a RotS promotion still.

That's pretty sad, they use a Han Solo shot from Star Wars on the Empire DVD. What a half ass job.

I'm gonna be a fanboy for a moment and say with exception of Star Wars those covers suck.

In fact - with the danger of this slowly turning into a bitchfest about DVD covers - isn't it the exact same pose as the one on the Star Wars cover, but from a different angle?

Are those covers official? I certainly like them much more than the meh 2004 covers. But on amazon.de, they have different covers: simply the 2004 covers with a "Special Edition" banner at the top.

As for all the bitchin', people need to lay off. In the 1997 poster for Empire, there's clearly a Return of the Jedi Palpatine included, despite Ian not appearing in the 1997 Special Edition. And these posters were painted by Drew Struzan.

Personally, I think the new DVD covers look MUCH better than the 2004 covers, both in terms of overall composition and color mix (not to mention not making me fall asleep), but also in that Lucasfilm atleast made a concious effort to mimic the original theatrical poster campaigns.

And these posters were painted by Drew Struzan.

I never thought the Palpatine thing mattered. Faces might be just a little bit off in his posters at times, but he usually does a stellar job. I'd love for painted posters to become popular again.

Since these are the original films it would have been nice for the overs to have the original posters.

I'll be honest and say I really don't care about covers, track listings and that whole mess but I figured I'd just join the bitch fest.... :P

Ahh I see what you mean. The DVD covers are live pictures of the artwork. Ok that's pretty neat to a point.

All though I've never seen TESB artwork showing Solo with just a vest. Everyone I've seen has him wearing the jacket.