1. 1.

• Williams is better by a huge margain
    • Williams is better by a moderate margain
    • Williams is better by a small margain
    • They are equal
    • Goldsmith is better by a small margain
    • Goldsmith is better by a moderate margain
    • Goldsmith is better by a huge margain

However, goldsmith is less of a conductor for sure.

I totally disagree. Anyone who has seen Jerry conduct in concert (and I have several times) will put that comment to bed pretty fast.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally disagree. Anyone who has seen Jerry conduct in concert (and I have several times) will put that comment to bed pretty fast.

In fact, he's better at conducting than at composing.

Speaking as a lifelong JW fan since the 70's, I have to counter Stefancos in saying 94-99 was a boring period. Put into context with what he'd already written, it was a very adventurous period for Williams music.

I think Williams' music at this time was quite good, but the films for which he was composing weren't the type that required strong musical accompaniment, excluding TLW and TPM of course.

Ted

In fact, he's better at conducting than at composing.

really. well then, someone bettter put a video up on youtube or something. i do want to see this.

While the poll has an interesting idea; I think it is like comparing Picasso to Rembrandt, the acting capabilities of Brando versus DeNiro. These phenomenal artists have different styles. While I have been a fan of both of these tremendous talents since I was around 12, now in my 40’s, I think a debate as to who was better is interesting but I don’t really know if there is a true answer.

True Williams seems to have been able to score a lot of what have been called “blockbusters”, in fact this term was first used around the time of the release of “Jaws”, but Goldsmith also wrote some of the most provocative works such as “Freud”, “Planet Of The Apes” and “The Omen”.

A good example would be comparing many of the “sequel” works the two composers have been involved in. Compare the “Raiders” vs. “Rambo” scores. Both sets of works are creative with the subject matter at hand. Both are based upon very melodic main themes. The subsequent scores in the series elaborate further on the “Main Theme” for the hero and each composer was able to create new material for each film using his own style of writing to enhance the visual experience.

Another example is the “Jaws” vs. “Poltergeist” issue. Interesting that both have the involvement of Steven Spielberg. Both composers wrote music for the first 2 films of each series; a series, in my opinion, that descended in quality as they went on. Both are in the same genre, horror. Both deal with humans encountering and ending the threat of evil forces. One, a natural force, the shark, while the other, supernatural, an undead spirit. Is one score better than the other? Could Goldsmith have written a theme as threatening as the “shark theme”? Listen to “Mephisto Waltz” written before “Jaws”. On the flipside, could Williams have written a lullaby as quaint as “Carol Anne’s Theme”? I guess he came close with his theme for Heidi, but would he have scored the film using the lullaby as the central theme for the film? I think he would have gone the other way and found a theme dealing with the evil of the house or the dread with which the family was dealing with the supernatural loss of their child.

A fine example of this was “The Fury”. I always thought that that film score was the closest Williams came to the “emotional” style of writing as Goldsmith.

As with many things in a person’s life, it is all a matter of taste and perspective.

I have this feeling people say the like Goldsmith better, even though they know Williams is better. Maybe it makes them feel deeply smarter or more intelectual because they can make excuses for Goldsmith's smaller amount of success/recognition then Williams'.