Amazing Stories! Yay!

sulky

Mark, what the fuck are you complaining about.

At last this wonderfull music will be released (something you have wanted for years) and you are still bitching and moaning!

You are a dentist, you people make shitloads of money by digging into peoples gums.

I've got no regrets about buying all three volumes - to me the non-Williams music looks just as interesting as the Williams music.

By the way, is The Mission dfeinitely going to be on volume 2 - the only article I saw said that it would be either on no. 2 or no. 3.

You're not thinking fourth dimensionally.

Yeah I have a real problem with that :mrgreen: Now there's a Universal release that is long overdue - damn that huge orchestra!

The Amazing Stories episodes as a rule featured small ensembles so hence the reason why this release is possible, I presume anyway.

I'm really looking forward to The Mission, as much as I love the RSNO rendition Williams' own interpretation is much sharper and on that occasion the concert hall sound didn't suit Amazing Stories IMO.

- Tim.

If I am not mistaken, Hook was a Columbia / Amblin production, right? So it must now somehow be connected to the sony catalogue. If the force behind the Amazing Stories release was Amblin, then maybe a complete (or at least expanded) Hook would be the next logical step since sony is apparently fully open towards labels. Pure speculation on my part.

Does someone know for sure if the original Hook album is still in-print?

Ordered it. Don't like everything on this anthology. But, there's enough there for me to buy it. Looking forward to the release of The Mission.

It's shamefull. Still I might get it for the Goldsmith stuff.

Anthology One doesn't will have any music by Goldsmith...

Well it still has Horner music, I suppose that will have to do.

Maybe Broughton's music could also be interesting...well, we will see :)

I got a message saying the order had been fulfilled... maybe it means they are out of stock for the moment? are a lot of people getting that messagE?

It doesn't say Out of Stock on the main product page...

Doesn't fullfilled mean that your order is being processed?

Probably, but it says pending fulfillment. I'm probably panicking about nothing, but I don't want to miss this set.

Pending fullfillment means your order will soon be prepared while order has been fullfilled means that it is on the way. Although it can also happen that you receive your fullfilled-mail when the order arrived already, yes they can be so fast.

BTW, so far I have only had one problem with intrada when they send me the wrong discs but they quickly dealt with the problem. I am sure most people will have their discs before next weekend.

It's shamefull. Still I might get it for the Goldsmith stuff.

You mean the Horner stuff, right???

Relax people you'll get your orders. I very seriously doubt all 3000 will be sold this week.

If your order has been fulfilled it probably means it's been shipped and enroute to you.

hmmm..

"By the way, we found something cool while mixing. Williams recorded a special Christmas version of his Amblin logo. We're talking twinkling bells, xylophones, celeste, woodwinds and triangle galore! It should make for a terrific little fanfare after Thomas Newman's "Santa '85"!"

I hope they don't get delayed because of too many orders.I hope to listen to it this week.

K.M.

This is certainly an exciting series of releases. Not only do we get one of the last unreleased Williams scores with "Ghost Train" and the original recording of his fantastic "The Mission," but pieces from numerous other a-list film composers as well. Unfortunately, I'm not in much of a position to purchase much music at this point, but I'm looking forward to hearing this stuff eventually.

Ray Barnsbury

I had to pull out my Varese re-recording when this set was announced. The Mission, especially the last 11 minutes, is fantastic and Delerue's Dorothy and Ben is so touching and moving.

I know The Mission will be on the third set and hopefully Dorothy and Ben will be on one of the next two.

They already said that if these sets are doing well, there could be even more volumes beyond the 3 that are certainly coming out. They own the rights for every single episode score of the show, so its up to the album sales if there will be further volume.

Got mine today 8O

Tim

How's Ghost Train

K.M.

Very Good. The first two Ghost Train tracks are short (33 and 80 secs, respectively), but the other 4 tracks have a little more wiggle room, a bit more in which to grow. There is one main theme that is kinda pastoral in nature and much time is devoted to it throughout. It's played on flute or clarinet a bit, and there are a few variations in style (mysterious, joyful, gentle, etc...). It's fairly typical of what Williams was producing at the time, and some sections remind me of the softer parts Witches of Eastwick. Williams doesn't disappoint with this one.

Tim

Nope,but since you posted about it,it becomes fair game for a question.I'm just curious why you buy multiple copies of each new c.d.'s that come out.

K.M.

Good enough,although I don't think most of these club c.d's will be worth all that much...maybe some of them,but who knows which ones.The future of physical c.d's is also uncertain.I think in 2-3 years it will not matter to anyone to own an official copy,because hard drives willl be big enough to put entire c.d. collections in uncompressed formats.

K.M.Who thinks they should start selling music on 1GB flash cards

I got the c.d. today

Listening to it:

Ohpa's Tales incorporates a gorgeous version of the Main Titles theme

The Amblin Logo is another reminder of the genius of JW.So short,yet there so much into it.

K.M.

The Train Arrives is really soaring and beautiful,I assume it's the finale.But this score is so short it really leaves you wanting more.The Mission has much more of a sense of satisfaction and completion to it(I already think The Mission is the pinnacle of all Williams scoring ,the moment he was at his ultimate best,where everything he developped in Raiders,E.T.,Olympic Fanfare, and Temple of Doom came converging in a piece of music.)

Still,the single best moment of music in Ghost Train is the quote of the Amazing Stories Main Theme in Ohpa's Tales that's played so beautifully.Unfortunately he only uses it once.

But it was nice to hear at long last.

k.M.

Still,the single best moment  of music in Ghost Train is the quote of the Amazing Stories Main Theme in Ohpa's Tales that's played so beautifully.Unfortunately he only uses it once.

But it was nice to hear at long last.

k.M.

I agree, I'd forgotten that he quoted it in the score.

A great release all the way thru. Horner and Elfman's scores are fun and energetic and Delerue's contributions are great as well.

This is a great release. Many worthwhile scores in this release. I was very pleasantly surprised by Ghost Train. I kinda like all these short scores. It's like travelling through a lot of different concepts and styles in 2 hours. Great release.