King Kong music in King Kong.

To those of you who have seen Peter Jackson's King Kong and have heard Max Steiner's score for King Kong, can you confirm if Howard Shore is conducting music from the original film during the theatre scene?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, but the other common rhumor that it is he who is stepped on by Kong is false...

howard.jpg

poorbastard.jpg

Also, for all those out there who rip music, the Re-recording of FanFare #1 is played at the very very end of the end credits and can be very easily ripped ;-)

Shore is conducting what he originally wrote for the scene. When JNH took over PJ decided he would like to do a tribute to Max Steiner's score so JNH arranged Steiner's cues to fit that scene.

Is he actually conducting it or was the orchestra faking it and the music would be put in post-production?

No, because Shore is conducting what seems to be a string chamber orchestra, whereas the soundtrack music at that point is all brass! It's one of those moments where the sound and image just don't match.

Is he actually conducting it or was the orchestra faking it and the music would be put in post-production?

No, because Shore is conducting what seems to be a string chamber orchestra, whereas the soundtrack music at that point is all brass! It's one of those moments where the sound and image just don't match.

the pit orchestra does have brass and percussion, you can see some cymbals in that picture they posted here

He probably played the viola.

Tim

GRRR!!

I play viola! I find that.. string-sist!

I always wondered why it seemd what they were playing didn't match what I was seeing and hearing.

There are other instruments there... strings, timp, some brass and cymbol... the pit orchestra nearly fits the requirements... most people wouldn't care/notice

What is heard instead is a re-recording of the track "Fanfare Number 1, 2, 3" and then the "Aboriginee Dance Music"

and like I mentioned earlier, the very end of the End Credits has Fanfare #1

Imagine how bad that score must have been to get shore fired??? I mean they won two oscars together and made over a BILLION dollars.

Well that kinda depends why Shore was fired in the first place doesn't it. If it was the studio then yes, maybe they didn't like it, but it must have been something creative for PJ to replace it - I mean he loved Shore's work for LotR.

~ Steef, will you ever stop making jokes about that situation? It's getting tiring.

This has been discussed to death.

The official report is that Shore's music is not what Jackson wanted for this film.

For some reason Shore was apparently unwilling or unable to provice music in the style Jackson was looking for.

So it was decided to discontinue Shore's involvement with the film.

Imagine how bad that score must have been to get shore fired??? I mean they won two oscars together and made  over a BILLION dollars.

You seem dead set on becoming the new Mirko, aren't you?

Your current avatar suits you extremely well.

The official report is that Shore's music is not what Jackson wanted for this film.

For some reason Shore was apparently unwilling or unable to provice music in the style Jackson was looking for.

So it was decided to discontinue Shore's involvement with the film.

Actually, this is NOT the official report. Jackson and Shore cited "creative differences", an ϋber-vague phrase that doesn't really explain anything. Was it Jackson's decision to let Shore go? Was it Shore's choice to leave? Was it mutual? Was the studio involved? Were the "creative differences" even over musical choices? Or was it the budget? Or the schedule? Or the work environment? We don't know. We may NEVER know! In the meantime, the suggestion that Jackson (or the studio suits, for that matter) didn't like the music Shore wrote, or felt it wasn't "right" for the picture, is 100% conjecture. I read comments online all the time referring to this as a "rejected" score, or railing at studio interference, or questioning Peter Jackson's judgment. At this point, it's all speculation.