X-Men 2 and The Planets

Lurker

I just saw an internet preview for X-Men 2 here and I think it has the best use of music I've ever seen in a theatrical trailer. Holst's "The Planets" is used to incredibly good effect. There is even a section that <shudder> Williams used to great effect in Star Wars.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll watch that preview again.

Neil - who really likes the original X-Men

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your absolutely right Neil, the trailer is incredibly cool and the use of the Planets is awesome.

If I remember correctly 'You have the Power' from Dark City by Trevor Jones was used to similair good effect in the trailers for the first X-Men film. That track is simply astounding and also one of my all-time favorite action cues.

And I too really liked the first X-Men film and can't wait for the second one.

:( Mars, the bringer of war - Herbert von Karajan recording.

Completely agree with the both of you. Xmen's trailer with Dark City's music was AWESOME, I had to find it and it. Very dangerous to drive to, though, I'll tell you that.

X2's trailer is much better, though. It looks simply amazing, honestly, it looks better than the first one, which I loved. The use of the Planets is excellent. Very surprising to hear it.

Although, I honestly think the best use of music in a trailer was Carmina Burana in Cliffhanger's badass trailer.

I swear, you can use "Mars" in any action trailer and it gets you going!!!!

This looks cool, GREAT use of music (I wonder what recording that is?). I haven't seen the first movie, but then I'd never heard of Ian McKellen back then. I'll probably go see this one.

Marian - who'd like to see a trailer use the Coda from the finale of Bruckner's 8th symphony - sounds like the perfect trailer piece to me (for a non-action trailer).

You had never hear of Sir Ian McKellen?????????  WOW!!!

Not before FOTR. I've seen his Richard III in the meantime, but that's about it. :shakehead: Seeing this trailer though, it's amazing how clearly he is Ian McKellen here and in FOTR, yet how absolutely different he is here from his FOTR role.

The question should be....why should they NOT?

Because the trailer works extremely well as it is now.

Marian - wondering if Stefan has watched it?

:sigh: The Great Train Robbery (Jerry Goldsmith)

Nope, no Kamen this time around. John Ottman, Singer's usual choice, will be composing the score, after re-scoring the first for the special edition DVD. I guess Singer wasn't entirely satisfied with the score either.

In Kamen's defense, he was literally a last resort to score the first movie, when Ottman was unavailable. Hardly an ideal working situation, knowing your there only by necessity. It doesn't actually inspire one to put forth their best effort, does it? Singer's post-production time was cut severly short when Fox pushed the release to Summer 2000. He had expected to have another six months, to a year, to finish the film. That's why he's making the special editon DVD, shooting some new footage in conjunction with the second film.

This X2 footage was quickly edited and assembled for the San Diego Comic Con after only three weeks of production. Quite impressive, really for something that wasn't exactly meant to be a theatrical trailer for the general public. I'm sure Ottman had a hand in the putting this footage together, since he is the movie's editor, as well as composer. I wonder if he chose the music, and if so is this style of music we can expect from the score? I hope so, as it would be a vast improvement over Kamen's. And, being the editor, I doubt he is likely to butcher his own score!

About the music itself, unless I'm mistaken, it is from the RPO recording conducted by Previn (my favorite version).

About the music itself, unless I'm mistaken, it is from the RPO recording conducted by Previn (my favorite version).

Hmm, I must try and hear that. I love the Dutoit recording, but this sounds good as well.