Amazing Stories and Back to the Future

Maestro

Someone please tell me I'm crazy. But I got the Varese Sarabande release of Amazing Stories (with The Mission and Dorothy and Ben on it) within the last month, and upon hearing the Main Titles for the first time...I was immediately reminded of the main theme from Back to the Future.

Now, I will defend Johnny's creativity and ingenuity until my dying breath. I adore and praise the unique and continually self-regenerating nature of his music almost to a fault. But that was the first thing I thought when I heard that theme for the first time: it sounds an awful lot like Back to the Future!

Incidentally, the new Amazing Stories compilation arrived in the mail today and I'm wicked excited. But I just needed to know if ANYONE else has had this same reaction, or if I'm just looney. I'd love to be diagnosed as looney this one time.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The main theme to Amazing Stories(or any of the themes in it) sound nothing like Back to the Future to Me.It's one of the" purest" Williams themes there is,in that it can not be mistaken for any other composer.I knew when I first heard it,long before I got "confirmation" the music was Williams.

K.M.

I think you're just hearing the rhythm they share:

The b section from BttF and the 2nd and 3rd measures from the main part from AS have a similar rhythm. And that's where any similarities end. (at least to me)

Jason

I must admit that I also thought of BTTF when I heard the Amazing Stories theme. It must be one of these strange connections that you draw immediately when you heard an appealing melody and try to put it somewhere.

Would be interesting to know the psychological background of this phenomenon.

I must admit that I also thought of BTTF when I heard the Amazing Stories theme. It must be one of these strange connections that you draw immediately when you heard an appealing melody and try to put it somewhere.

Would be interesting to know the psychological background of this phenomenon.

I also think it's pure Williams but there are indeed four notes (after the first two) that are similar to a segment of BTTF.

But I made the same experience like K.M., I knew after a few seconds that it had to be Williams. And after hearing the end title I was 100% sure ;)

Nemesis

Me neither. Like peking duck tastes different from russian caviar but I love them both.

I never made any connection between the two themes. We were watching it on TV one day and my dad compared it to Jurassic Park. The melodies aren't really all that close at all between JP and AS but the scales are classic Williams so at least he recognized that. But as far as BTTF goes . . . I don't think so. Pure Williams.