Goldenthal's "Grendel" premiere at LA Opera

ChrisAfonso

In case somebody wondered what's become of Elliot goldenthal in the last three years ("SWAT" being his last score I think), here is the answer:

http://www.laopera.com/production/index.as...roductionid=197

After doing several theater plays and "Juan Darien - A Carnival Mass" with Julie Taymor (not to speak of "Titus" and "Frida"), the ballet "Othello" and "Fire Water Paper - A Vietnam Oratorio" for the ballet and concert stage, he's now teamed up with Taymor again to bring his first opera to life, based on the "Beowulf" mythos.

I find the video/sound clips from piano rehearsals on the page already very promising, vintage Goldenthal style, and am dying to hear (and see!) the complete piece, which unfortunately will take some time (I guess until a CD/DVD is released... and hopefully sometime the opera will come here too).

I'd strongly urge anyone who has the possibility to attend the LA performances in June to do so, something like this doesn't come often... a major Goldenthal live :)

-Chris,

:mrgreen: Wagner - Die Walküre

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heartily endorse the thematic material of this Opera.

Would rip an arm off to see this if I could too.

I have tickets for the June 8 performance. It looks to be a very interesting production, and indeed promising.

I'm very excited about this! Elliot is a gifted composer (albeit not exactly a very eloquent one, judging from the interview sequence), and I like his concert works quite a bit.

Good for him, and good for us, I suppose. I wish I could attend...

Denyce Graves... what a lovely and excellent mezzo.

Hope this production ever comes to Europe. If not, I hope the DVD gets released.

scissorhands, a big fan of contemporary opera and Elliot Goldenthal :mrgreen:

Yeah, "The Ghost of Versailles". Have seen part of it (not entirely yet). But I highly recommend this opera, it's one of the best I've seen :mrgreen:

The problem is that it came out only on VHS, and it's not available anymore. You can check, anyway, his rearrangement for orchestra (and also for cello and piano duet) named "Phantasmagoria".

Yeah, I have Phantasmagoria on CD, very enjoyable :) Though the pieces of his I like most are the Red Violin Chaconne (well, as a violinist I'm somewhat biased ;)) and the first symphony.

Various problems have delayed the opening of Grendel. Apparently now I have tickets to the premiere. :spiny:

LA Times article about the production and delays here: http://www.calendarlive.com/stage/la-et-gr...top-blurb-right

Sad to hear that Mr. Goldenthal suffered a serious head injury last December :(

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to agree with the LA Times reviewer. It was visually sumptuous, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the music. It merely existed - it tended to neither help nor hurt the production. Disappointing, because music is a central element of any opera. I also didn't like some of the stupid "comic relief" moments (Grendel at one point sings, "What a sh*t-a** scene". Seriously.)

Denyce Graves's dragon scene was absolutely fantastic, however. Mr. Goldenthal did make an appearance at the curtain call. I enjoyed my experience overall, but the production could use a bit of tweaking.

Goldenthal should get back to filmscoring .

We could use someone who can bring some depth into his music....

I totally agree. I have been listening to Titus and it completely kicks a$$.