A little story I would like to share with you all...

Beowulf

So...there I was at my local video rental store. I was just about ready to leave, with 2 titles already in hand, when my eye caught view of a peculiar DVD title. "Superman" the title said. As I stood there, I wondered how in 21 years of my life, I had never seen this movie - a movie that is such a staple of american culture (maybe it was because I was born and raised in England for most of my life). Anyways, another thought entered my mind as I was standing there - all this recent talk on the JWfan.net MB about the movie and the score filtered through my consciousness, and I felt strangely compelled to pick the title up. The case in itself was quite spectacular, the dark cover brandished with the magnificent silver "S" logo of superman. On an impulse, I decided to go ahead and rent it - to see what all the ruckas was about.

Anyways...2 days went by, and I had watched the 2 other titles I rented. In fact, I almost forgot that I even had the "Superman" DVD. Well...I decided to pop it in and have a gander. What happened for the next 2 hours will definitely be engrained in my head for a while to come. There I was, totally transported into the world of Superman. The score was absolutely brilliant - OUTSTANDING to say the least. It matched perfectly with the action and love-story angle of the film. Nearing the end of the film, I finally understood just how great this film and music was...AND how right many of you on this MB were about this spectacular film and score. Besides the score of the film - definitely one of JW's best in my mind now - I was struck by the simplistic innocence of the film. Absent were any of the razz-tazz CGI effects of today, but in it's place was a solid story and outstanding special effects for the time. Combine that with the music and I finally understood why this film from 1978 is held in such high esteem.

In conclusion, I would like to pay homage to this revelation that has been thrust upon me, almost in a serendipitous fashion, by changing my icon to the magnificent "Superman" logo. While "Hook" is still my favorite score of all time, I feel it necessary to express my elation at "finding" superman, and what better way than by the visual representation of my personality.

I don't know what compelled me to pick up the "Superman" DVD that day, but I thank god I did. I will most definitely be getting the movie AND soundtrack very soon (any advice on which "version" is the best is most welcomed).

Thanks for listening.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what compelled me to pick up the "Superman" DVD that day, but I thank god I did. I will most definitely be getting the movie AND soundtrack very soon (any advice on which "version" is the best is most welcomed).  

I think that the 2CD rhino release is the best, but ask more experienced posters here :music:

Beowulf, I know I am not by any reckoning your favorite jwfan poster, but I congratulate you on your discovery. Thank you, on behalf of all the other Old-Timers for viewing it with an open mind. I always suspected that the film, taken on its own terms, would win anyone over. And I agree, what is so winning about it, in large part, is its innocence. The tone is perfect from beginning to end. Thinking about it in retrospect, it's all the more surprising since the decade following the Vietnam War was an era of sanctioned cynicism. We have a lot less to complain about these days (or at least we did until the last presidential election) and yet we are subject to a lot more grit and grime at the movies.

Again, I am happy for you that you found this great film. You have not overrated Williams' score. In fact, if you ever get a chance to see Superman on the big screen, do so. It's even more impressive. I second Luke's recommendation for the 2-CD Rhino set. There is a rival Warners issue on a single disc, but it deletes two tracks from the original LP release. The Varese re-recording was eagerly awaited by fans, but it is no substitute for the Rhino version, which is the most comprehensive to date.

You will pardon me, if just this once, I do not use the qualification "IMHO." This is one of John Williams' greatest scores.

Yes Beowulf, you can borrow my old avatar......for now.

As "Luke" said, go for the 2 disc complete Superman - The Movie score on Rhino Records. It's one of the most comprehensive packages ever released and to me, it's the greatest score of all.

The Varese re-recording is also very good, and I would not hesitate to recommend that either, but be sure to get the Rhino first.

As for the movie itself, yes, the DVD is very nice and you should get that, but keep in mind that it is not the original cut (the DVD runs 8 minutes longer) and the DVD also features a new sound mix, which is not representative of how Superman originally sounded.

I'm glad you were finally able to see this wonderful movie. It's one of my favorite films of all time!

Neil

I actually started reading this thread thinking it was you....

Stefancos- who was surprised that Neil had not yet seen Superman. :(

Me too. I was wondering how it was possible that Neil hadn't seen it. LOL

Ray Barnsbury

Beowulf, I know I am not by any reckoning your favorite jwfan poster...

Oh come now Figo...we are all friends here at these message boards! :(

I may not agree with what you have to say, but your opinion is highly valued (as are all opinions). Heck, that's the beauty of the democratic system. As someone recently said - although we all have firm beliefs and differing opinions, we are still held together by a common bond of our love for music; in this case the spectacular music of John Williams. And Figo, I agree with your view on the film itself wholeheartedly - the simplicity is what attracted me the most.

To all the others that have replied, thanks alot. I'm glad you took the time out to read about my revelation. And don't worry IndySolo, as soon as I feel my homage is over, I will relinquish the avatar. ;)