Stargate: The Deluxe Edition

BigMacGyver

As expected, Varese took the opportunity to re-issue David Arnold's masterful sci-fi score as a remastered, expanded deluxe edition! From the website:

"When a mysterious woman makes Professor Daniel Jackson (James Spader) an offer he can't refuse, he ends up in a secret Air Force military base. His mission: to decode an ancient Egyptian artifact known as the Stargate.

The mission leader, Colonel Jack O'Neil (Kurt Russell), a tough military man with nerves of steel, commands their trip through the Stargate to an ancient civilization on the other side of the universe. But once there, they must battle the astoundingly powerful Sun God, Ra (Jaye Davidson), before they can find their way back home.

The original film that spawned not one but two TV series receives The Deluxe Edition treatment in this newly mastered and expanded special soundtrack release. For Stargate, composer David Arnold delivered the score that garnered him the international acclaim that ultimately led to projects like Independence Day and the latest three installments of the James Bond franchise (Die Another Day, The World Is Not Enough and Tomorrow Never Dies). Stargate is an enormous score using huge orchestral forces to recapture the spirit and adventure of the great action films of the past.

This is the Stargate CD everyone has been waiting for!"

I am really curious about what new features exactly will make this "the Stargate CD everyone has been waiting for" and the milan CD obsolete.

I can think of a number of good cues that were left off the milan CD and the sound mix of that original album wasn't all that convincing either. Well, fingers crossed that this release is an indication for a possible upcoming club release of Godzilla.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can think of a number of good cues that were left off the milan CD and the sound mix of that original album wasn't all that convincing either.

What cues? I always knew it was a brilliant selection because it barely missed out anything...all I can remember is the part where Daniel is being forehead-fryed by Ra. :) I don't think this will warrant a new purchase on my part.

Wow! This is really good news, I'll definitely be buying me a copy of this that's for sure. IF they can do this with David Arnold's Stargate score then surely they can do this with Independence Day too!

With it being a deluxe edition chances are it will have every cue from the film and maybe the full film version cue for "Battle At The Pyramid".

Edit: As BigMac said there were quite a lot of cues left off the OST.

I really wonder how they'll handle this.

Here is a little selection of cues missing from the milan CD:

Rah's Arrival (Sandstorm)

The Brave Boy (Rah Montage)

End Credits (only available as a special gift maxi-CD sold with the VHS)

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind but there are more. A dvd rip bootleg exists which spans 2 CDs but since this is only expanded, there will still be some cues missing.

The running time of the milan CD was 64 minutes. If it is only one disc and we add the end credits, the running time should come down to about 70 minutes which leaves less than 10 minutes room for further additional cues.

I am really curious about what new features exactly will make this "the Stargate CD everyone has been waiting for" and the milan CD obsolete.

I can think of a number of good cues that were left off the milan CD and the sound mix of that original album wasn't all that convincing either.

So am I - I got the original Milan CD last September used for £5, and it's got a lot of music on it, so it would have to be either vastly improved sound and/or a complete 2-disc release (with everything) for me to buy this.

How long's the complete score anyway?

Not convinced that I should order this. I have the original Milan version. I used to listen to it quite a lot a few years ago - but now, not so much.

I like the sound quality of the Milan OST, it's a terrific CD. What I'm after is the film mix of "Ra, The Sun God", there's even more "RA!" chanting in that version. A complete official release of Independence Day is not far off, it seems.

Interesting, don't really remember too much music missing from the original CD. It runs about 65 mins so I wonder how much they'll add to it.

Interesting, don't really remember too much music missing from the original CD. It runs about 65 mins so I wonder how much they'll add to it.

There isn't much missing at all, but pretty much all of the cues that were left off are still worth a listen.

The film is actually a decent effort from D&E but it does drag thru a really boring middle section.

Granted it doesn't have to be non stop action but it could use a little push.

The film is actually a decent effort from D&E but it does drag thru a really boring middle section.  

Granted it doesn't have to be non stop action but it could use a little push.

I think the film slowly grinds to a half after the scene with the humongous cow!

It doesn't pick up untill the big battle stuff finally starts.

The DVD has an extended version of this film, I can't actually imagine watching a NINE minute longer version of this.

hard to believe this is from the same team that made the wonderfull Independance Day.

************SPOILER ALERT***********************

On the extended cut one of the major scenes is at the beginning I believe it shows what happens to Ra as a kid and how he was abducted.

As expected, Varese took the opportunity to re-issue David Arnold's masterful sci-fi score as a remastered, expanded deluxe edition

"As expected"? By whom?

I'm sure nobody would have bet on this getting the DE treatment, and I sure haven't read any messages asking for it.

And what opportunity?

There's no new Stargate movie nor series, is there?

I love the last half of this score. The first half is forgettable, so I may just borrow this from the library or something, since it'll probably be fairly expensive.

I love the film, though.

I'm really hoping now that we can get a complete, good quality score for Independence Day and Godzilla. Which makes me wonder....why didn't they release a complete Independence Day on July 4th? Why Stargate? ID4 seems like it would sell much better with the tie-in holiday.

As expected"? By whom?

By myself. Simply because it is MGM Carolco and those rights are always easy to get once Milan would loose them. We had a cutthroat island case here. An expanded version was just a matter of time.

While we are at it, Silvestri's Blown Away belongs to this category as well.

And what opportunity?

To remaster and expand the score and offer an even better presentation of it.

Varese does have have a history of re-releasing scores once the rights expire from other labels. That might be what he's talking about about.

I agree though, no one expected this to get a deluxe treatment this fast.

I'm really hoping now that we can get a complete, good quality score for Independence Day and Godzilla.  Which makes me wonder....why didn't they release a complete Independence Day on July 4th? Why Stargate?  ID4 seems like it would sell much better with the tie-in holiday.

Especially considering it's the film's tenth anniversary.

Maybe someone should e-mail Varése and ask them if the Stargate "Deluxe Edition" will be a 2-CD or not.

Ya I've been wondering why they aren't releasing the full score for ID4 on July 4th instead.

All righty I decided to write Varése an e-mail and asked about the Stargate score and also threw in a question if they planned on releasing the full score for ID4. They finally got back to me and here is what they said for both.

Our release of STARGATE: THE DELUXE EDITION will be a single CD, but a very full one.

STARGATE and INDEPENDENCE DAY have nothing to do with each other, beyond being by the same composer.  They are each from different film studios.  The rights to ID4 are controlled by another record company. So we have no plans for this one.

I don't know what they mean by a 'full one'. Perhaps it is a complete score but they were able to fit it all onto one CD. Just like what they did with Predator.

That sucks though that they weren't able to get the rights for the ID4 score. So it doesn't look like we'll be getting a complete one of that any time soon. ROTFLMAO

For Stargate, I still might pick this one up it all depends on when they end up posting track listings for it.

How long is the Stargate score anyway? The version I have runs for about an hour. Judging by the "full CD" comment, does that mean we can count on just under 80 minutes of music?

A full one probably means as much music as they can cram on a single disc.

ID4 was released by RCA Victor so they control the rights as far as I know.

Marc I'm guessing that it will probably be in the 70 + min with about 15 extra min of music at the most for the CD.

Well, that's what I assumed, either just under 74 or just under 80 minutes of music.

But how much would that leave off? I don't know how long the full score is.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the disc has been pushed back to 08/01/06.

click

Probably Varese's revenge for all the bitching about the CD club releases....:mrgreen:

I was actually looking forward to this release, as I am only familiar with his Independence Day score. Shame it had to be pushed back at the last second.

Tim

Well, it's only been pushed back, not canceled. No biggie.

Yeah but I'm sure someone will find fault with Varese. :P

• 1 month later...