Powell's X3 score

Anyone get this yet? I noticed the Williams Superman rhythmic ostinato in the main theme. Since it's so overt, I kind of like it. Personally I think Powell hit this one out of the park. Lots of great tracks, themes, material.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it. I was so anxious to hear it, and since I hadn't pre-ordered it online, I went to a store and bought it. Needless to say, two stores, two salespeople, a trip to "the back," one last copy, and 16 bucks later, I was reminded why I order everything online. But anyway...

I got it, and I'm really enjoying it. But being the anti-spoiler nut that I am, I purposely ripped the CD without track titles. So I can't really name a favorite cue at the moment...but I do really love the last two minutes or so of the last track.

And it's funny that you mention Superman. When I was playing that theme for a couple of friends, they thought it sounded like Elfman's Batman.

Hopefully about 23 hours from now, I'll be sitting in a theater, hearing the score in the film! ;)

Ok, saw the film and gotta say... not impressed.

There were many a scene where I felt the music was forced and the emotions milked but with rough, calased hands.

There were many emotional scenes where the music soared... but not in the good way... the kinda clumbsy way...

The fight music was moving... but I can't say there was a single memorable theme...

And there were some moments where I just had to hold the puke in my mouth...

I've heard worse scores, don't get me wrong... I enjoyed the movie... but I definately feel the music could have been done a little more... appropriately.

I've not heard the score alone but as far as how it worked in the film... I felt it was very jagged edged....

THere was one moment I remember, where the music sored and then just cut off... not like a Star Wars poorly edited cut off... but a cut off as in we were brought emotionally high and then left there.

There were moments where the horns sounded almost... mariachi in their emotion...

I'ts not a horrible score...it's not a bad score... but it's not a great score...

on a scale of 1 to 10...

1 being Ice Age 2

10 being Episode I

It would be a 4

it plays better on cd than it works in the film IMHO.

27 tracks, most of the 1 to 2 min. variety.

it plays better on cd than it works in the film IMHO.

27 tracks, most of the 1 to 2 min. variety.

I've seen the film and Joe is right. I'm not sure if Ratner tracked the music poorly or Powell was overwriting to compensate but the score works very well on the disc. I like the cross-fading of the tracks to make the entire score seamless.

The on line examples don't really give away the great writing that Powell did on this but he definitely aced this one IMO.

I haven't listened to the album yet, but after seeing the film, I can't wait. I was really happy with the score, more than Ottman's (which I liked a lot) and a lot more than Kamen's. Excellent themes, particularly Angel's, which was absoultely breathtaking in the film. The score was too busy at times, a couple of times to the point of distraction, and a few rough points where music comes in, but overall, I was very impressed with it in the film. Happy to hear that it's even better on the album.

I like Angel's theme too. Powell is the only Media Ventures composer that I admire a lot. His harmonic language is far more original and inspired that most out there these days (save for Williams who still has the richest harmonic sense of anyone writing today).

I'd actually have to agree with a lot people are sayig here...

I didn't mean my comment to come off as so... blah lol... you stay up all day to see a midnight showing and post your comments at 4 in the morning and see how well you express yourself :-p

The part where Angel flys for the first time was definately breathtaking... I did get chills I remember... though it seemed a little...drawn out in the film... the moment seemed to have passed but yet we kept seeing more and hearing more... and I was a little overdone by that point.

I think it was the track before that that died abbruptly..

Also, the music for Gene was scary...I did think that worked... except at the end... there's a moment where the camera is off looking over the whole shot of the island and the choir is singing... the choir killed it for me... If the choir had been downplayed... maybe not so loud in the mix... I think it would have been ok.

And I do agree that the score was a little busy at times... to point of distraction...

I've not heard the music by itself and I'm sure by itself it's enjoyable... but in the film I was distracted...

Like... there are two moments where two mutants lives are changed for good--trying not to give too much away... and it's a sad moment... so this solo violin is there playing... sounds nice in theory... but it was almost...predictable... and didn't pull me in.

Saw the film and thought it was alright. As for the score, the Jean Grey theme was really, really good.

That theme/motive for Angel is actually moreover a general statement used in various guises and parts throughout the film. Its most ominous yet somber variation was the aftermath at Jean's house (people who have seen the film will know what I'm talking about). I think that the theme's presentation is haunting and the way it was played on horns in the distance was perfect- it encompassed the actors' performances beautifully. A moment crystalized in pure emotion. When I first heard that track on the CD, I knew it was for a monumental moment too. Powell really nailed it.

The score is alright. It had some underdeveloped themes, and I felt the theme for Angel was a little overkill. I only recall it appearing three times in the film, and only when Angel was in sight.

The film however, is awesome. On par with X2, but I'm not sure if it's better.

The score is alright.  It had some underdeveloped themes, and I felt the theme for Angel was a little overkill.  I only recall it appearing three times in the film, and only when Angel was in sight.

The film however, is awesome.  On par with X2, but I'm not sure if it's better.

listen again my friend. That ascending/descending line in the low strings with the horn line on top appears many many times throughout the score. It might be slowed down and orchestrated differently but the meter and intervalic relationships in this melody are the same between Angel's Cure and the re-capitulation of the theme after the confrontation between Professor X and Dark Phoenix. It's amazing too.

There's also development of Jean's theme, the Main X-Theme (remember the John Barry string music in Funeral? Same theme, different tempo and slight change in harmonization).

I agree that this film has a lot going for it. I wonder why the critics didn't like it? It's a lot deeper in its implications than the other two films. Just a little too short. With this much meat in the storyline, they could have added another 20 minutes and the film would have been further fleshed out. But Powell's score is great and plays even better on CD.

Did anyone notice the different Title music? It's not quite the same theme that ended up on the CD. Weird!

My brother saw it yesterday, and got a big dissapointment. We expected Beast to have Frasier voice (dubbed), as in the trailer. It is not in the movie.

That voice was perfect. I hate dubbing now ;), and im not sure i want to pay hispano foxfilm for that movie...

Heck its FOX, they used the same dubber for Sideshow Bob! fools...

Heck its FOX, they used the same dubber for Sideshow Bob! fools...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

with that i meant bob has the same voice as frasier, just in case.

But yes it sadly hylarious either way ;)

There is only one cinema that plays original versions.

And thats is for artsy films like european ones and middle east etc...

They may toos one or two very big movies there, but i dont think x3 is.

I agree that this film has a lot going for it.  I wonder why the critics didn't like it?  It's a lot deeper in its implications than the other two films.  Just a little too short.  With this much meat in the storyline, they could have added another 20 minutes and the film would have been further fleshed out.  

They needed to add another 20 minutes, and they could have easily added another 45 minutes or more. This film has so much going for it, but it could have been so much better. As I said in my review, it seems like they forcefully are trying to kill this wonderful series for no discernable reason. No character save Magneto gets adequate screen time. Jean Grey's perdicament is terribley under developed. You've got Wolverine uttering these terrible cliched lines he wouldn't be caught dead with in the previous film. His love story with Jean is terribley under-developed. I don't understand that thought that goes into these decisions....at last, we've got a situation where studio wishes and terrific film should mesh perfectly, and the studio forcefully kills it off!

And about it's implications- they are shortchanged by the under-developed quality of the film. I think the main concept, of Magneto's way vs. Xavier's way in the issue of 'the cure' is dynamite, but you lose site of it with all the tumult that happens to the characters, and the fact that (spoiler, highlight to read) both Magneto and Xavier are neutralized by the end of the film.

(spoiler' date=' highlight to read) both Magneto and Xavier are neutralized by the end of the film

Did you stay til after the credits?

I agree with Morlock. I felt upon my first viewing that it was a pretty anti-climactic way of ending the series. It could've really been a terrific culmination, but they neglected to really focus on anything very significantly at all, even things that were wonderfully set up and hinted at in the previous installments; it seemed almost like just a collage of ideas and events instead. As enjoyable as it was, I'm pretty disappointed with it in comparison to the first two, which I've always thought were excellent.

Ray Barnsbury - who thought the score was pretty good and needs to hear it again

(spoiler' date=' highlight to read) both Magneto and Xavier are neutralized by the end of the film

Nope. What did I miss?

(spoiler' date=' highlight to read) [/color']

Nope. What did I miss?

Highlight

See Moira MacTaggert going to that "mindless" body that they were talking about in the beginning (in regards to transferring the mind to another body). The body moves a bit and says Moira' date=' in Xavier's voice.[/color']

As a final act in a successful franchise, X3 falls short in truly realizing the finality of these characters' development. However, even though it's called The Last Stand, I am to believe that there will be other installments. If not, I hope Ratner comes out with a director's cut DVD that adds 20 extra minutes to the film because it really needed a little more time to dedicate towards the characters.

Powell on the other hand seemed to "get it" and provided a somber, ominous and at times heroic score. The music in the film doesn't work as well as on CD though. But Powell did accurately provide a great musical portrait of the film's narrative.

The score was a mixed bag for me. I felt the Jean/Scott reunion was far too overblown. That was a case of a tender woodwind or piano cue doing the job nicely, no need for strings and horns. I remember having shivers every time Jean went crazy, as the music was appropriately huge, with the choir coing out big. I don't remember the music much, but I do remember liking those parts.

The film was also a mixed bag. Absolutely stunning effects which really captured my imagination. The idea of Jean's power was very cool, though really underdeveloped and coming from practically nowhere (why didn't we hear anything about it before? Surely Magneto would have mentioned something, if Charles didn't?). Several of the characters were out of the game surprisingly early, but excitingly so. There was no sugar coating the war. Or at least one character's part in it. But the plot was a bit convulted and underdeveloped in so many places (even though I despise teen angst in most films, Rogue's problems seemed to come from nowhere and finish before they have time to develop).

All in all, I just wonder what would have happened had Brian stayed on as director.

If Brian Singer was on this project we would have gotten another by-the-numbers Ottman score as opposed to this fantastic Powell effort. While I don't think Ratner was a real good choice for this film, I'm glad he got Powell to do the music.

As for Rogue, if anyone saw the previous films, she was pretty bummed about not being able to touch anyone. This was something that was quite obvious in the other installments.

I really hope Ratner puts out a Directors Cut of this movie, because after reading and listening to everyone I know who's seen it, they all tend to agree the movie is great, just too short. Unfortunately, this could be another Star Trek Nemesis: Too short, and it always will be.

Does Ratner have a history of Director's Cuts?

I don't think he has.

The first one was by many considered to be too short as well, leaving you wanting more, although it's a fine length for the story it's telling.

At one point, the X-Men 1.5 DVD was going to give the film a major overhaul, re-inserting deleted material, and incorperating newly shot scenes that were scrapped at some point during production (on the X2 DVD, it is mentioned that the bathroom Mystique drugs Mr. Laurio in was built for a scene for X-Men 1.5. This would have been part of Cyclops' origin story).

Don't count on a DC for X3.

The original release was a single disc, if I'm not mistaken.

The 1.5 release features a completely new second disc, with a whole bunch of behind-the-scenes material (and an at the time exclusive bts preview of X2).

Film's the same, though.

I actually thought I heard some nods to Goldsmith in the scenes with Wolverine in the woods wearing a white wife beater, jeans, and boots. Especially when he hid and ambushed his prey.

crazy am I? do i hear a small snippet of zorro's horner sprinkled throughout? specifically, the very last track, 4:56-4:59

or at least something that sounds similar to it? not necessarily exactly like it.

I'm really loving the arabian style Powell gave to the Phoenix theme

If you're talking about that rising/falling figure underneath the horn line, you will notice that this theme appears throughout the film for different characters (aside from Phoenix). It's most overt presentation is in Angel's Cure of course. I think Powell called it the Freedom Theme. I think of it as the mutant theme as it underscores most moments of the film where a mutant is either in conflict with themself or against another mutant. I think it's cool that Powell chose to have a general musical theme for the totality of the mutants.

And he did a great job varying it throughout the picture.

I'm a bit confused about the themes....this is the theme used (quite beautifully) in the Skating cue?

I'm really loving the arabian style Powell gave to the Phoenix theme

If you're talking about that rising/falling figure underneath the horn line, you will notice that this theme appears throughout the film for different characters (aside from Phoenix). .

I was actually talking about the Phoenix/Jean Grey theme itself :)

Michael Kamen still wears the crown and holds the throne in this trilogy imo. Ottman couldn't write if his life depended on it imo. Powell has done a LOT better than this.