Kingdom of Heaven 4 Disc DC

QMM

The set's out now with the first two discs devoted to the film (with commentary) and the other two devoted to special features. I haven't watched it yet but from what I've heard the additions make it a much, much better film.

Might've even taken out the Goldsmith music

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The director's edition of the film is highly improved over the theatrical release. I watched the movie last night, and I must say, it was fantastic. This version would have made my top 10 list, the theatrical didn't because it felt like things were rushed. The new one takes the time and adds a lot of important scenes. Great movie.

Tim

Where's the Goldsmith and what's it from? First I've heard of this.

My sister got this, I can't wait to see it. I heard that the Goldsmith, Beltrami and Hannibal pieces are still in there. But I don't see any score featurette there....WTF?

I tried watching the threatrical version but it was too slow, preachy and looked like Gladiator remade in a different location and at half speed. I generally don't like overly ambitious movies like this, and particularly one with such a Hollywood-ish name as Kingdom of Heaven.

I liked Gladiator but I'm not really interested in this one, and in terms of the DVD, with an extended cut like this, I wouldn't just expect a music featurette, I would be yearning for an iso (I personally wouldn't care about this specific movie, but speaking generally). Another tragically wasted opportunity.

Got halfway through so far. The film is infinitely better, waayy more characterization, especially for Syblla, and there's a ton more unreleased music. I'm torn between listening to the commentary first after I finish or watching the special features.

i disliked the theatrical. apart from the visuals which scott always excels at, it left me cold. didnt think bloom had the required 'weight' to carry such a picture too. is that somehow fixed with the DC?

There is a small (around 10 mins) feature on the score with Harry, it's on the main Post Production featurette though.

does the extended edition involve any sex scenes with Eva Green?

K.M.

No. But after The Dreamers, what else can she possibly show?

On second thought, don't answer that question :)

Tim

Iso scores are very rare, though.

Marc, I know, and that's my whole point - I think DVD producers are missing out on a huge creative opportunity to make great, unreleased music available for a fraction of a CD cost.

Take the Gladiator extended DVD for example. They took the cheap route with the anniversary CD and the 3-disc DVD (as far as I'm aware) makes no mention of the music. Stuff Zimmer's wildly popular score :roll:

It's happening way too much for my liking. Apart from possible costs, give me one good reason for not putting iso's on Back to the future and the Indy trilogy. When they do include one (it seems to be tantalizingly random), it's usually some smaller or less acclaimed score that gets one (such as Erin Brockovich - I like the score, but it's minimalist, there's hardly any in the movie and so the DVD has pretty much impossible to watch iso)

Sorry for hijacking this thread... back to Kingdom :)

I agree with you yes, but then bootlegging was the reason that isolated scores were stopped in the first place and additionally musicians etc. were not getting royalties.

There was a 25 min. feature on Zimmer as part of the initial Gladiator DVD release which was not carried over unfortunately.

The director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven really is superb, ties many loose ends and ellaborates upon characterisation a great deal! I also think I prefer the Hannibal opera's placement here as opposed to in Hannibal itself - matches the scene beautifully!

- Tim.

There was a 25 min. feature on Zimmer as part of the initial Gladiator DVD release which was not carried over unfortunately.

According to the people behind the 3-disc DVD, the new edition should be seen more as an addition to the original release, rather than a replacement. They tried not to be redundant with the original relase, so people who had already bought that wouldn't have to pay for the same extras twice.

Random question, but can anyone tell me if the Kingdom 4-disc set comes with a booklet of any kind in the front pocket?

My friend got an advance copy to review a month or so back and we've been debating ever since whether a purchased copy would come with a booklet or not (as his did not).

Mine did not. I was wondering that myself. Regarding the film, it is definitely much improved over the theatrical release, which I still enjoyed in spite of its glaring flaws. Many of these flaws are not present in this edition, however, and I think the film is much more thought-provoking and layered than Gladiator, which is more of a straightforward epic with a pre-packaged revenge plot, good as it was.

As for the score, I will never understand the use of the temp score near the end of the film, notably Goldsmith's 13th Warrior and Beltrami's Blade II. The cue that Gregson-Williams wrote for the scene in which Valhalla/viking victory shows up is much more appropriate. goldsmith's cue is wildly out of place in relation to the rest of the score, not to mention inspiration overkill for that scene, one of the few in the film I find utterly cliche.

Wonderful film nonetheless, despite these problems.

Ted

Random question, but can anyone tell me if the Kingdom 4-disc set comes with a booklet of any kind in the front pocket?

Mine did, it has an index of the special features and a couple pages (folded) of info on the whole production including some great stuff on the music, most notably the Balian theme.

• 4 months later...
Which track on the CD is for the scene that was scores with Valhalla BTW? I can't seem to place it by the track titles alone...

Coronation?

Sort of.

The coronation scene in the movie plays after the King's death so that would be my best idea for the track that would have played.

Hm, then I guess my memory of the film has become muddy (only seen it in the theater)... I can't remember any kind of coronation in the scene with Goldsmith's music... :|

Yawn.

What an undeserving film for a 4 disc deluxe set. This film was terrible.

Did you see the Director's Cut?

Because the film was butchered pretty badly for the theatrical release.

does the extended edition involve any sex scenes with Eva Green?

K.M.

No. But after The Dreamers, what else can she possibly show?

On second thought, don't answer that question ;)

Tim

:|

Yawn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the whole point of releasing a director's cut of a film is to improve upon it.

No?

- Marc, expecting tales of money grubbing corporate conspiracies...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the whole point of releasing a director's cut of a film is to improve upon it.
Just like the director's cut of Alien? The director's cut of Star Wars? The director's cut of Alien: Resurrection?

Yawn.

No?

The point of director's cuts is to present a film the way the director intended. But like Bondo said, that doesn't mean that it makes a film better.