John Williams composition team

Obi-Wan Kenobi

This summer i was at music camp. While I was there there was another slight John Williams fan. I was telling him how Shmi's theme was kinda in Minority Report. Then he said "You know why? It's because John Williams has a composition team." I didn't beleve him, though he said he did write a few things like Star Wars and ET. I really don't beleve him but then when I hear music by him that doesn't sound Williams like I get worried. Please help calm my fears.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Relax, Obi. The reason why some of Williams's music has similarities is because it's been composed by the same person (namely, JW). Your friend is not knowledgeable, just cynical.

He has no composition team. He writes his own music and his orchestrators even say that all they do is copy what he has already written down. I know a couple of people who have worked with him, and they say the same thing. Composers like Hans Zimmer do take credit for things they didn't write but as you can see in the case of Harry Potter, instead of him writing 40 minutes and taking all the credit he says that is all he can do because of time constraints and gives the rest up. If he had a composition team he would have gotten them to write it and he just puts his signature on it, as others do. Did I relieve any fears?

It just amazes me how many people love to put him down. Sheesh... Get any one who is famous and people want to demean them somehow. :sleepy: