Which film composers have you seen in real life?

Omen II

He's pretty tall....I'm 5 feet, 4 inches, and he towered over me. My head is just above his shoulders. I have another picture of myself standing next to him while he is signing my "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" CD, and you can definitely see what I'm talking about.

JohnWilliamsedit1.jpg

JohnWilliamssigning.jpg

PS - Sorry about the original size of the first picture! :cool:

What did he say? I mean anything other than the regular celebrity "thank you" and "sure" "have a nice day"?

What did he say? I mean anything other than the regular celebrity "thank you" and "sure" "have a nice day"?

The concert ended at 10:10 PM (give or take), and we waited until 11:30PM for him to finally come out the stage door. He walked right up to me, and as he was walking up he said "You waited this long for me"? I said "Yes", and told him I was a huge fan of his work, and that the concert was beautiful. He said a few more things about the concert, and then about why he didn't come out for such a long time (he was watching a film that somebody wanted him to watch), and then I left. All in all, I probably talked to him for about 2 or 3 minutes. It was great!

I greatly envy anyone who's actually met the man and/or seen multiple film composers, but I feel very lucky to have seen John Williams in concert once nevertheless. It was last year's Hollywood Bowl performance in September. Our seats were quite far off, so views of the maestro were not at all impressive. Afterwards, we waited with a group of perhaps fifteen people behind the area where he might exit the facility. After a while, we could see him through a window in the door, conversing with someone inside. But he eventually left our view, and we were told a little while later that Maestro Williams was no longer at the Hollywood Bowl. :D Apparently he left via an underground parking garage or something. It was still very cool to be near the eyes, brain, and hands that have created so much of the music I care about. Had I met him, I probably wouldn't have asked for an autograph or photo or anything--I'd simply have thanked him for years of enjoyment and told him the truth, which was that this was the best concert I'd attended. (Then my family would have insisted on me taking a photo with him, knowing how much I enjoy his music...but I wouldn't ask myself. :cool: )

Well, I haven't met any composers yet, but I hope to next year because I will be attending the JW's performance at the Detroit Symphony in Michigan!!

....I know a few people who play in the DSO...maybe they can get me access to the back stage!!

Ya never know :cool:

Basil Poledouris

John Debney

John Frizzell

John Ottman

John Powell

John Scott

Bruce Broughton

David Arnold

Trevor Jones

Gabriel Yared

Shigeru Umebayashi

Christopher Young

Alan Silvestri

Hans Zimmer

Harry Gregson-Williams

Dario Marianelli

Ennio Morricone

John Corigliano

And all of them, in less than 1 year and a half... :cool:

I've met Christian Afonso:afonso.jpg
Chris ALfonso, have you changed :D

John Williams (1 time)

Jerry Goldsmith (3 times). Steef and I spent most of that lovely evening of June 2001 at the Royal Albert Hall, London just looking up Jerry's backside from the front row just under Jerry's podium. And what a cute bum he had too. Jerry's not Steef's!!

C'est tout pour maintenant. Alors....

I've met only Lalo Schifrin (played a concert with him) and John Corigliano(recorded his music and he was listening)

Yeah, nice recording, by the way! One of my favorite Corigliano CDs :cool: He seemed happy about it as well.

Lalo seems a cool guy, I missed the chance to see him live 10 years ago. I hope he comes back for another concert.

Jerry Goldsmith (3 times). Steef and I spent most of that lovely evening of June 2001 at the Royal Albert Hall, London just looking up Jerry's backside from the front row just under Jerry's podium. And what a cute bum he had too. Jerry's not Steef's!!

That doesn't count. You know very well that he didn't come out to meet fans at that concert. And neither did he in 2003.

Philip Glass - Twice. Once after 'Orion' at the Barbican in June 2004 and again the following morning as we were both checking out of the same hotel.

Howard Shore - Vaguely, in the stage door scrum after the 'Lord of the Rings Symphony' at the Royal Albert Hall in September 2004.

Michael Giacchino - After the Williams Hollywood Bowl concert in 2005. He seems to be there every year!

Chris Tilton - At the Williams Hollywood Bowl rehearsal in 2006.

John Williams - After the Hollywood Bowl rehearsal this year.

:cool:

Basil Poledouris

John Debney

John Frizzell

John Ottman

John Powell

John Scott

Bruce Broughton

David Arnold

Trevor Jones

Gabriel Yared

Shigeru Umebayashi

Christopher Young

Alan Silvestri

Hans Zimmer

Harry Gregson-Williams

Dario Marianelli

Ennio Morricone

John Corigliano

gee... quite a List! :cool: <envy the half of it>

Howard Shore. From very far away...

Bruce Broughton

John Debney

John Scott

John Powell

David Arnold

Roque Baños

Pascal Gaigne

Christopher Slatki

Marc Vaillo

That list is of course the main guys from Úbeda, though there were more...

Philip Glass - Twice. Once after 'Orion' at the Barbican in June 2004 and again the following morning as we were both checking out of the same hotel.

Now that *is* cool. Next time we're in London, I'll ask you for hotel recommendations. :cool:

... and Peio, of course.

That's so kind of you, although all I've done is a short feature in one night and with almost total freedom. It was a good experience though :cool:

Where did you guys meet Williams and HOW?!!?!?!

Let's see at least 4 times at the back stage door at Tanglewood or Boston. Once just walking briskly by in Boston. I said to him "I'm a composer because of you!" He gave me thumbs up and a nod/smile. Once at the QA in the Berkshires (signed my CE3K sig edition above the strings intro).

Howard Shore - Berklee - Michael Rendish, our filmscoring 101 teacher, surprised us saying we'd be spending the whole class with him. Was a great QA session. Quite a unique person to meet.

-Jesse

John Williams, twice (Cleveland 2002 and Boston 2004), both times to briefly shake hands and get a couple autographs.

Ray Barnsbury - who'd love to meet a few others as well

That doesn't count. You know very well that he didn't come out to meet fans at that concert. And neither did he in 2003.

Marian,

The thread is "which film composers have you seen in real life" and the answer I gave was that I'd seen Jerry Goldsmith 3 times in London and John Williams once in London. I never said anything about meeting Jerry after those concerts only that Steef and I got the closest to Jerry that we were ever going to get.

Pete

Where I am there are few chances for that sort of thing, but hey it's quality vs. quantity. ;)

Only Joel McNeely for me, which was a totally awesome experience that I wrote about here.

We talked for about 20 min after a concert featuring his concert music down here and I made sure I made it count!

He was super funny and friendly, they're just regular people like the rest of us, and sometimes really don't even realize they have big "fans" LOL

Another I met, who isn't a film composer but writes filmic music, is Dutch composer Johan De Meij (who wrote the original LOTR Symphony), when I was in the Netherlands the world premiere of his 3rd Symphony took place in Rotterdam.

I had my LOTR CD booklet (original from 1989) and here I was, this Texas girl among mostly old Dutch men, here in the US he would have been swarmed by band geeks but I was really the only one getting an autograph there, he was delighted and amused. Totally nice guy, and his 3rd Symphony 'Planet Earth' rocked!

I met Richard Rodney Bennet once, and he was a cock.

He said something very derogatory about Goldsmith, in response to a question I asked him.

The thread is "which film composers have you seen in real life" and the answer I gave was that I'd seen Jerry Goldsmith 3 times in London and John Williams once in London. I never said anything about meeting Jerry after those concerts only that Steef and I got the closest to Jerry that we were ever going to get.

That is correct.

• 7 years later...

There have been so many great film music concerts and events in the last few years that I reckoned it would be nice to have an update on this thread from a few years ago. My list of 'spots' has grown considerably but I am sure plenty of you can add to your lists too. Here is the list of the ones wot I have seen:

Craig ARMSTRONG

David ARNOLD

James BERNARD

Elmer BERNSTEIN

Ludovic BOURCE

Dirk BROSSE

John CAMERON

Alexandre DESPLAT

Patrick DOYLE

Anne DUDLEY

Danny ELFMAN

George FENTON

Philip GLASS

Nick GLENNIE-SMITH

Billy GOLDENBERG

Jerry GOLDSMITH

Harry GREGSON-WILLIAMS

Christopher GUNNING

Richard HARVEY

Nigel HESS

James HORNER

Trevor JONES

Dario MARIANELLI

Joel McNEELY

Ennio MORRICONE

Michael NYMAN

John OTTMAN

Rachel PORTMAN

John POWELL

Zbigniew PREISNER

Andre PREVIN

Michael PRICE

Harry RABINOWITZ

Lalo SCHIFRIN

John SCOTT

Howard SHORE

John WILLIAMS

Debbie WISEMAN

Hans ZIMMER

Remember that you only have to have seen the composer with your own eyes, however fleetingly - you don't have to have got their autograph or slept with them or anything. List away, brethren! The more anecdotes about your close encounters, the better.

Let's see...

David Arnold

Klaus Badelt

Christian Kolonovits

Dirk Brossé

Bruce Broughton (3 times?)

Jerry Goldsmith (twice)

James Horner

Harald Kloser (twice)

Ennio Morricone

David Newman (3 times)

Randy Newman

Michael Nyman (twice)

Lalo Schifrin

Howard Shore

Alan Silvestri

Howard Shore.

Had dinner with him (and Doug Adams) and about a dozen other very fortunate guests a few years back.

Hey me too! Are you talking about New York City, October 2010?

John Williams

Joel Goldsmith

John Adams

John Corigliano

Phillip Glass

Don Davis

Elliot Goldenthal

John Frizzel

Joel McNeely

James Horner

Lalo SCHIFRIN

Marco Beltrami

Aaron Zigman

John Scott

Elia Smiral

Christopher Young

Deborah Lurie

Laura Karpman

Chris Bacon

Chris Lennertz

James Newton Howard

Trevor Jones

Dario Marianelli

Alexander Desplat

Danny Elfman

Hans Zimmer

Alan Menken

Harry Gregson Williams

John Powell

John Debney

Michael Giacchinao

Howard Shore

Bryan Tyler

Tyler Bates

Bear McCreary

Ryan Shore

Lennie Moore

Austin Wintory

Alan Silvestry

Bruce Broughton

Ron Jones

John Ottman

Steve Jablonsky

Klaus Badelt

James Dooley

Randy Edelman

Harry Gregson Williams

Travor Rabin

Stephen Schwartz

Howard Shore

Alan Menken

Trevor Morris

Michael J. Mollo

Nathan Whitehead

Pinar Toprak

Blake Neely

Randy Newman

Thomas Newman

Joey Newman

David Newman

People I regret not seeing/meeting:

Leonard Bernstein

Basil Poladoris

Jerry Goldsmith

Bernard Herrmann

Miklos Rosza

Howard Shore.

Had dinner with him (and Doug Adams) and about a dozen other very fortunate guests a few years back.

Indeed!

8166774856_a57bcc063b_c.jpg

Hey that's awesome! Is there an album of pictures from that dinner somewhere?

I sat with John Takis and Jim Ware!

Howard Shore.

Indeed!

8166774856_a57bcc063b_c.jpg

Hey that's awesome! Is there an album of pictures from that dinner somewhere?

I sat with John Takis and Jim Ware!

Unfortunately, no ... not that I'm aware of. I know I took more photos when I was there, but I can't for the life of me remember what happened to the files (I do have a few others from the B&N book signing that preceded the dinner, but that's the extent of my photos). If a collection exists anywhere, I'm not aware of it.

Still, it was a wonderful experience all-'round. Howard was, as I remember, quiet and unassuming - and yet very accommodating and willing to answer questions and chat. Doug was, of course, quite gregarious. Despite the lack of photos, I have nothing but very fond memories.

Small world, though, eh? Very cool that you were there, too!