Which film composers have you seen in real life?

Omen II

How many film composers have you seen in the flesh, whether at a concert or passing them in the street? I've seen a fair few, but I suspect others will have encountered many more. Here is my list of 'spots':

John Williams

Jerry Goldsmith

Elmer Bernstein

Ennio Morricone

Howard Shore

Billy Goldenberg

Joel McNeely

James Bernard

John Cameron

Philip Glass

That's ten. Do I hear eleven or more? Have you spotted any 'rare' ones (a lesser spotted Manfredini perhaps, a marsh Cacavas or a great northern Safan)?

Howard Shore.

From very far away. :)

Howard Shore also. I even got to talk with him albeit briefly.

How many film composers have you seen in the flesh, whether at a concert or passing them in the street?  I've seen a fair few, but I suspect others will have encountered many more.  Here is my list of 'spots':

John Williams

Jerry Goldsmith

Elmer Bernstein

Ennio Morricone

Howard Shore

Billy Goldenberg

Joel McNeely

James Bernard

John Cameron

Philip Glass

That's ten.  Do I hear eleven or more?  Have you spotted any 'rare' ones (a lesser spotted Manfredini perhaps, a marsh Cacavas or a great northern Safan)?

You lucky bastard. You got to see three of the greatest. Goldsmith, Bernstein and Williams

Unfortunately, the only one I have seen is John Williams, whom I got to talk to after his lecture at the Berkshire Museum last summer. I'm hoping I'll get to see Howard Shore, John Debney, and Michael Giacchino in the near future.

Robert Summers Potterton III S.P.C.

Composer, Keyboardist, Conductor

www.rsp3.com

None. The one Boston Pops concert I went to, John Williams was too busy to make it (working on War of the Worlds), so Bruce Hangen conducted the whole thing.

Sadly I have not seen a single film composer :cry:

10 sounds amazing amount that few of us here can't even dream of attaining.

"Only" John Williams a couple of times.

Perhaps I'll get to see Elliot Goldenthal at the premiere of Grendel next month.

I saw Goldsmith conducting three of his own concerts and Brosse conducting a fourth. I always attended a (pretty bad) Nyman concert... apparently he got a similar impression, because he hasn't given a single concert here since (and I think he came here regularly before that).

You get the feeling that someone started this thread just to do a little shameless bragging.  :(

Just for that remark, John, I'll add another to my list that I had forgotten about:

Andre Previn

:spiny:

I've seen Williams on five occasions, and met and talked with him twice. And I saw and talked with Jerry Goldsmith once. I have of course met John Corigliano several times, as I've studied with him.

I saw John Barry from afar in Avery Fisher Hall last year.

I saw Goldsmith conducting three of his own concerts and Brosse conducting a fourth. I always attended a (pretty bad) Nyman concert... apparently he got a similar impression, because he hasn't given a single concert here since (and I think he came here regularly before that).

Man, I envy anyone who got to see Jerry Goldsmith. I've seen Williams, soon to be twice :spiny:

None, unless you count Paul McCartney since he scored a movie called "The Family Way" in 1966

I've had the opportunity to see Jerry Goldsmith, at the one (and only) NY Filmharmonic concert in NYC back in ... '98 was it?

That was a fantastic concert, and being that I had very good (and expensive) seats, I got to see him from up close. That was the first film music concert that I ever attended.

I've also met:

Howard Shore - at the NJPAC Lord of the Rings Symphony concert here in NJ last year

John Williams - in Pittsburgh '99

John Williams - in Boston '02 (see attached pic) :spiny:

John Williams - in Pittsburgh '04 or '05

John Williams - in NYC last year.

The Boston trip was particularly memorable.

For this reason:

MeandWilliams.jpg

I've had the opportunity to see Jerry Goldsmith, at the one (and only) NY Filmharmonic concert in NYC back in ... '98 was it?

For this reason:

MeandWilliams.jpg

Ok first I want to point out something kind of spooky, the words "Never Forget" in your signature for some reason popped out at me and then I scrolled up to hit quote and I saw that this was your 911th post. Weird.

Anyway

How come in most JW pics Williams has his mouth open and in almost all pics his head is tilted to our left?

Also where did you get the chance to meet him? Did he host a meet and greet at one of his concerts or something like that or did you stalk him for three hours and scared him into getting your picture with him?

Ok first I want to point out something kind of spooky, the words "Never Forget" in your signature for some reason popped out at me and then I scrolled up to hit quote and I saw that this was your 911th post. Weird.

Anyway

How come in most JW pics Williams has his mouth open and in almost all pics his head is tilted to our left?  

Also where did you get the chance to meet him? Did he host a meet and greet at one of his concerts or something like that or did you stalk him for three hours and scared him into getting your picture with him?

Eek. That is creepy. Okay, here's 912.

My girth scared him.

He shouted in mid-concert...

"Hey big-boy with scary shaven mug-shot head, come see me after the show"

Actually, through some clever thinking, I was able to get my name on his 'guest list' for a meet and greet, privately, after the show. I can't go into the details, but it isn't that hard to figure out. If you're going to school for this sort of stuff, and all.

Seen the maestro 5 or 6 times Hollywood bowl since 1999, most memorable his birthday concert at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Feb a few years back, also I recommend if in Los Angeles visit the Henry Mancini Institute summer concert at UCLA's Royce HAll--where MOAG had recordings, last year I saw Giacchino, Newton Howard, and Alan Silvestri. Also at Masters of horror signing in Burbank met Brian Tyler, Christopher Young and Nathan Barr. There's another singing in several weeks John Powell is supposed to attend.--Check out www.soundtrack.net

John Williams (twice). Once at Berkshire Muesum and at one of his recent concerts in Boston.

John Williams 3 times ( which regognize me after six years we first met, with his jaw dropping looks !!!! )

Jerry Goldsmith twice , and Ennio Morricone at Cannes festival years ago !!!

John Williams (talked with him for a minute or so)

Jerry Goldsmith

John Adams doesn't really count but I had a great lengthy chat with him...mostly about film scoring actually.

• 1 year later...

Ennio Morricone,

Jan A.P. Kaczmarek

and this year's conference in Úbeda guests:

Bruce Broughton,

David Arnold,

John Debney,

John Scott,

John Powell,

Roque Baños,

Pascal Gaigne,

Marc Vaillo,

Christopher Slaski.

Only Carl Davis (autographed my cd).

How tall is John Williams? It looks like he is taller than most people who are in a photo with him :cool: