Which film composers have you seen in real life?

Omen II

Just some 10 years ago, I had not met a single film composer, nor had I any hope that I would see or meet one in my life.

But then circumstances led to me being in a position where I could not only travel around to places where they hold concerts, but also being able to interview them personally. I could never have dreamt of that those 10 years ago.

Anyways, it feels a bit awkward to list all those I've seen and/or talked to here. A bit like bragging. If you follow me on facebook or my Celluloid Tunes webcast, you should know some of them.

But there are still some gaps that I would really like to fill at some point:

* I was never able to see guys like Goldsmith, Bernstein, Kamen or Poledouris while they were still alive. (this is a gap that is hard to fill, I agree!)

* While I've seen Williams live twice, I've never been in a position to meet him personally -- like many of you. These days, he's more shielded than the Pope anyway.

* I haven't been able to land an interview with Danny Elfman

* While I've talked to Zimmer on several occasions (both in real life and cyberspace), I haven't yet been able to land a 1-on-1 interview

* I haven't been able to attend a concert with Alan Silvestri yet (and as such no interview)

Only two. Harry Gregson-Williams in concert.

And Kevin Kaska (someone who hasn't been mentioned here yet, I think—so there's that). But that's 'cause he's my cousin 'n' all.

That's a mighty fine list, Karelm. More Newmans than you can shake a stick at.

Drunken stalking on the golf course does not count, I fear.

Au contraire, Pilgrim, au contraire! Drunken stalking gains you bonus points.

Then I suppose E.T. and Elliot wins this one! As long as I keep my intimate encounters with these guys undisclosed....

James Horner

Steve Bramson

David Newman

Elliot Goldenthal (with Julie Taymor)

Randy Newman

Danny Elfman

I hope to extend that list in the future :) The number of opportunities seems to rise, especially here in Europe.

I think I once saw John Williams leaving through a backstage door of a theater, stepping into the cab, where he sat down next to a much younger lady. The smile on his face led me to believe that he could take on the whole world. The next day he performed at the Barbican Centre and suddenly he didn't look so energetic any more. In fact, he had a cold.

Alex

I think I once saw John Williams leaving through a backstage door of a theater, stepping into the cab, where he sat down next to a much younger lady. The smile on his face led me to believe that he could take on the whole world. The next day he performed at the Barbican Centre and suddenly he didn't look so energetic any more. In fact, he had a cold.

Alex

Were you there at the four 1998 concerts?

• 6 months later...

James Horner

Howard Shore (3 times)

James Newton Howard (2 times)

Michael Giacchino (2 times)

Ludovico Einaudi (4 times)

Patrick Doyle

Alexandre Desplat (3 times)

Thomas Newman

David Arnold (3 times)

Hans Zimmer (2 times)

Elliot Goldenthal

Ramin Djawadi

Trevor Morris - Partied with these 5 at an after-party

Atli Ovarsson

Daniel Licht

Dario Marianelli

Ludovic Bource

Johan Soderqvist

Stephen Warbeck

John Powell

Harry Gregson Williams

Rupert Gregson Williams

Debbie Wiseman

Jocelyn Pook

I've probably forgotten someone.

In no particular order, and probably not exhaustive...

Jerry Goldsmith (with the LSO in concert, 2001 and 2003)

John Williams (at various concerts from 2005 onwards, met him twice in 2007 in LA and Chicago)

James Horner (at the preview performances of Titanic Live in Luzern, had a good chat with him afterwards and saw him again in London at the premiere of Charades)

Howard Shore (too many to count)

Trevor Jones (at an LSO concert, didn't want to talk about film music but was very keen to discuss the tie he was wearing)

Patrick Doyle (various concerts, London, Belfast)

David Arnold (various concerts, had a conversation about breadsticks)

Michael Giacchino (at various Hollywood Bowl concerts, also in Luzern several times. Went out for drinks with the orchestra after the premiere of Star Trek Live. It was a very late night)

George Fenton (at an LSO concert, have also bumped into him wandering around London)

Alan Silvestri (bumped into him in Oxford Street with his wife while he was recording The Avengers, also at Back to the Future Live in Luzern)

David Julyan (in Ghent. He was drunk, as was everyone else. I fell asleep in the bar)

James Newton Howard (in Ghent. Possibly not drunk)

John Powell (at the Concert for Care in London. His family were in the box next to me and were rather...raucous)

John Ottman (at the Concert for Care in London. Had a conversation about jetlag remedies)

Christopher Gunning (confused him with Nigel Hess)

Nigel Hess (confused him with Christopher Gunning)

Alex Heffes (at a Tommy Pearson discussion thing in Golders Green in 2008)

Ludovic Bource (The Artist Live at the Royal Albert Hall)

Hans Zimmer (Interstellar Live at the Royal Albert Hall)

Michael Price (honestly can't remember - the David Arnold gig at the Royal Festival Hall last year perhaps?)

David Newman (Back to the Future Live in Luzern. Had a brief conversation after the concert - enthusiastic guy!)

Danny Elfman (Elfman/Burton concert at the Royal Albert Hall)

Chris Tilton (at a Hollywood Bowl rehearsal. Seemed somewhat surprised that someone recognised him)

Philip Glass (all over the place)

Debbie Wiseman (at the Royal Albert Hall. Lives just around the corner from me)

Lalo Schifrin (at a Barbican concert of his work)

Alberto Iglesias (Ghent. You know the rest)

Jon & Al Kaplan (an interesting experience)

Alexandre Desplat (LSO concert last year and the post-concert bash. He's tall!)

Clint Mansell (concert at the Barbican)

Dirk Brossé

He's been the music director of the Chamber Orchestra of Philadelphia for 5 years and I had no idea he composed for film. I saw him conduct a chamber concert last year, so I guess that counts!

I just read that he conducted Goldenthal's score for Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. I had no idea! One of my favorite scores!

I will now try to hunt him down and ask him about it endlessly!

I've been fortunate to meet a lot of composers over the last 10 years -- some I've just seen in concert, some I've met and taken a photo with, some I've sat down and interviewed -- but it doesn't feel quite right to list them. Feels like bragging.