Blade Runner: Final Cut

Greg1138

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New record! I posted a rare Blade Runner photo over at the facebook BR group and it already has gotten more then a 1000 likes. I think I'm finally getting the love I deserve! ;)

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

New record! I posted a rare Blade Runner photo over at the facebook BR group and it already has gotten more then a 1000 likes. I think I'm finally getting the love I deserve! ;)

Link, please?

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who are members of the private Vangelis Facebook group, here's a pleasant surprise that I stumbled upon: conductor Guy Protheroe originally recorded 20 minutes of choral material to accompany the Blade Runner score.

For those who aren't members, here is what he wrote:

Bladerunner: here’s rather a long note from me. I arranged and recorded about 20 minutes of music for chorus for the sound track. I have always been frustrated that there is very little chorus actually on the final film sound track. Sorting through my archives, I have just found a box full of chorus scores I wrote for many Vangelis tracks – the whole of Heaven And Hell and several other albums, and including the chorus score I wrote for Bladerunner. (There are more boxes of scores somewhere – 1492 etc.) I had a 40-piece professional chorus for the sessions, and I had said we would need (as normal for such sessions) single-sided headphones for each singer. There was no click (I conducted the beats) but they needed them to keep the pitch – it was all long notes and chords in all four pieces. Any singer needs a “reference pitch” to stay in tune in long pieces like that – in this case it was singing to Vangelis’ pre-recorded track. But it was decided instead, for convenience, just to have monitor speakers playing Vangelis’ tracks in front of the singers. Of course, as I had predicted, for the singers to hear the monitors while they were singing, the track had to be turned up loud, so was picked up on the choir microphones. So they were turned down again, and the choir could not hear them. Hence all the recordings lost pitch, and very little was usable – just a short passage at the end of Tyrell’s death scene – in the video here from 2:42 to the end. Such a shame!

What I would give to hear those 20 minutes of unused choir...perhaps it can be eventually released as part of the complete score...and we know that there is at least one alternate version of "Dr. Tyrell's Death", heard in the deleted scene of Roy leaving the Tyrell building with Sebastian's jacket

On 29/05/2006 at 2:30 AM, Greg1138 said:

Not sure if this is old news or not - apologies if it is - but yet another version of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner appears to be heading for a theatre/DVD shelf near you soon.....

More details courtesy of Scifi.com.

:P

Can't wait!

2 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

For those of you who are members of the private Vangelis Facebook group, here's a pleasant surprise that I stumbled upon: conductor Guy Protheroe originally recorded 20 minutes of choral material to accompany the Blade Runner score.

For those who aren't members, here is what he wrote:

What I would give to hear those 20 minutes of unused choir...perhaps it can be eventually released as part of the complete score...and we know that there is at least one alternate version of "Dr. Tyrell's Death", heard in the deleted scene of Roy leaving the Tyrell building with Sebastian's jacket

Did not know any of this, but often wondered what the deal was with the real choir, since it only appears in one track.

44 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Probably; that may be why synth choir is used in its place. 

roland-vp-330-full-3b.jpg

44 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Probably; that may be why synth choir is used in its place. We do know that "Rachel's Song" was originally composed for the scene where Roy returns and discovers Pris' corpse

Didn't know that either. Maybe I should read the booklets? I always felt Rachel's Song sounded too different from the rest of the score. I even suspected it wasn't even composed for Blade Runner (I still do, BTW).

8 hours ago, AC1 said:

Didn't know that either. Maybe I should read the booklets? I always felt Rachel's Song sounded too different from the rest of the score. I even suspected it wasn't even composed for Blade Runner (I still do, BTW).

It's not mentioned on any liner notes, but score mixer Raine Shine mentioned in a Google group years ago that it was originally designated for that scene. And fan Bentley Ousley confirmed in this outdated but otherwise great article that the cue's vocalist Mary Hopkin did record her contribution for Blade Runner in 1982

6 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

It's not mentioned on any liner notes, but score mixer Raine Shine mentioned in a Google group years ago that it was originally designated for that scene. And fan Bentley Ousley confirmed in this outdated but otherwise great article that the cue's vocalist Mary Hopkin did record her contribution for Blade Runner in 1982

It's just that it doesn't sound like the Vangelis of 1982 or of that period at all. I think it was an older composition, perhaps composed for a Frédéric Rossif documentary? Musically and emotionally, it feels like the Vangelis of the mid-seventies.  Anyway, I'm glad it didn't end up in the movie.

5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Possibly, but Alex is right (as per bloody usual ;)); it just doesn't sound like it was composed for BLADE RUNNER. By the same token, "Memories Of Green" shows amazing foresight.

When I heard Rachel's song in 1994 my first reaction was that it felt completely out of place, so Vangelis must have recorded a new track to make the album more 'interesting' as a listening experience. Later I realized it doesn't sound like anything he would have written in 1982 and it doesn't sound like Vangelis in the '90s, so it's possible that it's simply an older idea that he maybe wanted to use for Blade Runner. After all, composers have lots of ideas lying around which they sometimes resort to if time is short. 

Random Blade Runner quote of the day:

"If you see Blade Runner today, it's probably the best sci-fi movie ever made. It still holds up, it's still a very fresh movie. Unbelievably made, with so much talent - everyone involved. And everything's made for real! Can you imagine that? There were no digital effects back then. If you look at Prometheus, for example, there's no comparison. Ridley Scott has all the money and technology in the world to make it, but his handcrafted movie was ten times better. But it depends on who does it." -Ari Folman (Director Waltz With Bashir, The Congress) 

Blade Runner is magnificent, and while it's not my personal favourite, I think there's a legitimate case to be made for calling it the greatest science fiction film of all time. Not sure I'd agree, but I think it's a credible argument to make. 

Personally, I think Alien is a better film, and one I enjoy more. Is it a better science fiction film than Blade Runner? I don't know. Maybe not.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

As great as BLADE RUNNER is (and it is great!), it will always be #2 on the all-time science fiction films list.

Even Ridley Scott admits to that.

58 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Blade Runner is magnificent, and while it's not my personal favourite, I think there's a legitimate case to be made for calling it the greatest science fiction film of all time. Not sure I'd agree, but I think it's a credible argument to make. 

Personally, I think Alien is a better film, and one I enjoy more. Is it a better science fiction film than Blade Runner? I don't know. Maybe not.

Blade Runner is the more cerebral film. It doesn't really work on a purely entertainment level. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/12/2022 at 1:13 AM, AC1 said:

Random Blade Runner quote of the day:

"If you see Blade Runner today, it's probably the best sci-fi movie ever made. It still holds up, it's still a very fresh movie. Unbelievably made, with so much talent - everyone involved. And everything's made for real! Can you imagine that? There were no digital effects back then. If you look at Prometheus, for example, there's no comparison. Ridley Scott has all the money and technology in the world to make it, but his handcrafted movie was ten times better. But it depends on who does it." -Ari Folman (Director Waltz With Bashir, The Congress) 

It is true that Blade Runner holds up incredibly well. The movie is beautiful, visually dense, atmospheric and strikingly artistic. Every set is a work of art.

I find it denser and more rewatchable than 2001. It has a better sequel than Alien, in my opinion (Aliens is fun, but dumb), and is more visually interesting than either of them. Which is saying something. I love them all, though, to be sure.

• 1 month later...

I own all the officially released soundtracks and you really can’t omit one if you’re trying to compile “a complete experience” (even though it’s still incomplete. Frustrating!).

I think the director’s cut is the best one - for obvious reasons (that by no means implies that obvious = right).

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

"The Theatrical Cut is the best version."

(mocking) "The theatrical cut is the best version ".

Eejit.

Which "theatrical cut"? International? American? Director's? Final?

They are all cuts which have been shown in theaters.

Eejit.

22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

(mocking) "The theatrical cut is the best version ".

Eejit.

Which "theatrical cut"? International? American? Director's? Final?

They are all cuts which have been shown in theaters.

Eejit.

I'm sure you know what he's talking about. 

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

do, but does he know?

I was never having a go at @rough cut. I was having a go at Nolan.

When people are talking about The Theatrical Cut of Blade Runner, they are referring to the version that came out in theaters when the film was first released. 

But you know that, Richard.

Why have a go at Nolan? Do you hate him that much? Or do you secretly disagree with him?

Speak up!

For the record, or to be fair, Nolan always prefers the original version. He doesn't believe in Director's cuts. Put out the movie and then leave it alone. 

I wonder what he thinks about Kingdom Of Heaven. Is the Theatrical Cut the best? I don't think so!

10 hours ago, AC1 said:

When people are talking about The Theatrical Cut of Blade Runner, they are referring to the version that came out in theaters when the film was first released.

But you know that, Richard.

Why have a go at Nolan? Do you hate him that much? Or do you secretly disagree with him?

For the record, or to be fair, Nolan always prefers the original version. He doesn't believe in Director's cuts. Put out the movie and then leave it alone. 

I wonder what he thinks about Kingdom Of Heaven. Is the Theatrical Cut the best? I don't think so!

This is rumour control, here are the facts.

I do not hate Nolan. In fact it might surprise people to know that there are Nolan films which I like a lot (INTERSTELLAR; INSOMNIA; THE PRESTIGE; MEMENTO). It's the ones that people seem to think are classics that I regard as excrement, and, because of this, JWfan seems to think that I do not like Nolan.

Regarding BLADE RUNNER, Nolan knows (or, at least, he should) that there are at least 4 commercially-released versions of the film. The version seen in America is not the same as the version seen in Europe. The DC is different to those two versions, and the FC is different still.

All I want Nolan to do is to clarify which version of the film he prefers. To say "I prefer the theatrical version" doesn't cut it (no pun intended).

Now, I wouldn't mind if Nolan was some 20 year-old spotty, four-eyed, geek, doing some kind of media studies course at Solihull Uni., or somesuch place, when he said this. If he did, I'd pay him on the head, and tell him to read "Future Noir". He isn't, of course. He's a very successful, and much respected film director. Because of this, he really should have a broader knowledge-base. My goodness; from his remarks about BLADE RUNNER, it would appear that the average JWfan (if there is one :)) knows more about the film than him.

If he'd said "I prefer the original European cut", that would suffice, but he didn't.

Nolan works in the film business, and, because of this, he should know better.

17 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

All I want Nolan to do is to clarify which version of the film he prefers. To say "I prefer the theatrical version" doesn't cut it (no pun intended).

You're being difficult. Blade Runner fans know what Nolan means with "The Theatrical Cut". The first version that came out with narration so not the DC or the FC. Nolan is a Brit so he's not talking about the American Theatrical Cut either. 

For the record, Nolan never saw the theatrical cut in theaters (he was too young) but he watched it hundreds of times on ...

s-l500.jpg

Only £90.75 on ebay!

• 4 weeks later...

I did it again! Almost 2000 likes (and counting)!

tumblr-lf4995s8xz1qdkmano1-1280.jpg

Vangelis composing Blade Runner while looking at a film scene displayed on a video screen (Nemo Studios, London 1982).

On 05/02/2023 at 1:13 AM, AC1 said:

Since I don't think Nolan has a single film better than the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven, I don't really care what he thinks. Thinking that the theatrical cut of Blade Runner is the superior version only confirms my opinion on Nolan (fwiw, I like Batman Begins, and Inception is a fine piece of editing and film-craft, even if the story isn't as deep as it thinks it is. I couldn't stand Interstellar or Dunkirk. The Batman sequels decrease in quality)

But I rank KoH as a top 3-5 Ridley Scott film. I love it.

18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Oh, come on, Alex.

That photograph is a phony as the one with Jerry at the Yamaha piano.

Jealous of my insane amount of 'likes', Richard? 

At least over there I'm getting the respect I deserve! ;)

Not at all, Alex. The "likes" are nice, but they are not my priority for posting.

I just think that it's all a bit artificial, and stagey. It's as fake as the photographs of the newly-installed POTUS, sitting at his desk in the Oval Office, pretending to write, or worse, looking up and smiling at the camera, pen in hand. I'd prefer not to see these intrinsically dishonest pictures.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

At least over there I'm getting the respect I deserve! ;)

"... over there..."

Over where?