Blade Runner: Final Cut

Greg1138

Not sure if this is old news or not - apologies if it is - but yet another version of Ridley Scott's Blade Runner appears to be heading for a theatre/DVD shelf near you soon.....

More details courtesy of Scifi.com.

:P

This great news broke last Friday. Finally, after all these years, Warner has regained the rights. The best thing about it is the upcoming super duper box which will contain The Theatrical Version, The International Cut, The Director's Cut and The Final Cut and a disc with extras. All versions will be restored, remastered and in anamorphic widescreen. Are you reading this, Lucas?

Alex

I've seen an ending where Deckard and Rachel fly north to Canada, someplace cold. Hence why she wears the big snow coat at the end.

I believe that's the theatrical release? I've seen that one and the Director's Cut.

The Director's Cut shows the story that Scott intended to tell: Deckerd himself is a replica (how else could one of his colleges know about his dream of a unicorn?), and at the end the elevatordoors simply close and the endtitles start to roll - the hero's heading to an unknown future.

In the theatrical version, the dreamsequence was deleted. Ford admitted that he never liked the idea of Deckerd being a replicant himself by the way. Anyway, the studio wanted a happy ending, with the main stars flying to some bright future, so they took left-over footage from Kubrick's The Shining, and combined it with images featuring Ford and his love (note that you never see the ship flying over the mountains).

I don't know anything about a new version. Hopefully it will stay close to the Director's Cut...

For fun, watch the scene in Deckard's apartment after Rachel shoots Leon. When she asks if he would hunt her. When he replies, "But someone would" Deckards eyes have the orange glow of a replicant. This is most easily scene on a large theater screen.

Neil

The film would be in trouble if people like you (and their Prequel obsessions) would actually like it.

;)

For fun, watch the scene in Deckard's apartment after Rachel shoots Leon.  When she asks if he would hunt her.  When he replies, "But someone would" Deckards eyes have the orange glow of a replicant.  This is most easily scene on a large theater screen.

Personally, I prefer these type of hints much more than the rather blatant unicorn scene of the Director's Cut.

The film is good the first time though, but it does kind of drag, not to mention unless you have a kickass sound system that yuo can crank up really loud, you can hardly hear what is being said. Haven't seen it in a few years, maybe I'll catch it again.

This film is probably one (if not the best) of the best science fiction films have ever seen. I'm glad that it is finally getting a complete DVD with every version.

• 1 year later...

That's right, Neil, and a third official release in theaters. After that, a super duper DVD box (Deckard's briefcase) with five discs containing all known versions (that's five (!) with the workprint included), all in super quality, plus bonus material. I've never seen anything like it. Warner calls it their most important DVD release of the year. The same content will also be released on Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. All I need now is a big HD Ready Plasma screen! The new Samsung models are great!

Alex

Yes it is fantastic, five versions, so everyone can have the version ofd the film that he wants. You don't like it that Decker is a replicant, watch one version. You think he is one, it's no problem, since you can just watch another version.

They have really catered to everyones needs here, no one needs to feel left out.

And no one needs to think for himself.

You sound so uninformed and frustrated. What's your point?

I can't speak for Stefan, but I think that it shows a remarkable lack of confidence in the film. 5 different version? It implies that at least five people who had a hand in making the film saw the film in five different ways. It shows that the screenplay is not uniform, to include these possiblities, but can only be solved by alternate versions. In short, it shows that these people were not all making the same film.

Like Stefan implied- you alter the film to cater to the audience? Isn't this film supposed to be about challenging the audience, asking questions?

Strikes me as deplorable commerical thinking coupled with no clear notion of what the film really is, only what it's place in fandom is.

Morlock- who would love a great looking version of the film with the docs, but is a bit put-off by this ploy

Eh? So why make a final cut? Who makes this cut?

And what are those five versions?

I only know and have seen two: the original with the voice-over and the special edition (in theatre and on DVD)...

I just see that every director can make countless of versions of his movies and be praised for it...except George Lucas.

And that the only original cuts that matter that OT...

And yes i know this makes available what version you want and so and so.

but 5 different cuts its alittle to much if you ask me.

This is the same as mr George: Money money money. Period.

Like the countles re-releases of the LOTR trilogy in just 5 years.

I just see that every director can make countless of versions of his movies and be praised for it...except George Lucas.

But Scott has never had final cut on Blade Runner. The work print was just that, a work print. Never intended for release. The preview version was basically the same as the theatrical version (with only a few different shots) - and that theatrical version was nothing like what Scott wanted, it was taken out of his hands, re-edited and a silly voice-over was added. The international version was like the theatrical cut, only with more violence. About 15 seconds difference in all. The so-called "director's cut" was far closer to Scott's original vision, but Scott was NOT involved in the prepration of it. It was put together in a hurry - the narration was dropped, the happy ending cut off, but the extra violence from the international version was still missing.

This will be the first time any version of the film has been released that Scott himself completed.

Unlike Lucas, who as far as I know has had final cut on every version of Star Wars released so far, and has at various times called every one definitive. And besides, Scott is releasing all the versions. If Lucas did that, people would have no need to complain about the revised versions.

Unlike Lucas, who as far as I know has had final cut on every version of Star Wars released so far, and has at various times called every one definitive. And besides, Scott is releasing all the versions. If Lucas did that, people would have no need to complain about the revised versions.

That's right! To the uninformed, five versions seems like much but I can assure you, the fans are all extatic and grateful about it. They are NOT complaining! Most fans are pretty specific about their favorite version of Blade Runner. Some loathe the TC (1982) while others swear by it, and vice versa. Lucas can learn a lot from Scotts' ethics.

Here are the five versions:

The Workprint - As the name suggests, this is raw and unfinished cut that accidentally got released in a theater, but was much talked about afterwards

The American Theatrical Release (1982) - studio-interfered cut - never released on DVD before - The video became one the biggest sellers of the 80s.

The International Cut (1982) - studio-interfered cut with a little more violence or nudity for the non-American markets - never released on DVD before

The Director's Cut (1993) - The only version currently on DVD. A version that closer to Scott's cut before the studio panicked after fairly negative sneaks in 1982. It's not a real Director's Cut because Scott was busy shooting another film at the time.

The Final Cut 2007- Or the so-called real Director's Cut. Scott's very own vision with FX corrections and bits of new footage. Probably very close to the DC but with new editing according to the changes that were made. The DC has never been re-cut. This is the first time Scott can lay his hands on his film without anyone interfering.

Alex

That's right! To the uninformed, five versions seems like much but I can assure you, the fans are all extatic and grateful about it. They are NOT complaining! Most fans are pretty specific about their favorite version of Blade Runner. Some loathe the TC (1982) while others swear by it, and vice versa. Lucas can learn a lot from Scotts' ethics.

:) Ethics?

Care to say how much does this set cost?

Can you buy every version sepparately?

Can you send them your old outdated DVDs - tapes and they refund you?

And anyway, since iknew this was coming i already so that i know Lucas has not released all the versions, neddless to say what really people want...the unaltered OT.

It's a 5-disc set so they won't be giving them away for free. They will also release the Final Cut separately because this is now the true cut and it replace the normal Director's Cut (soon to be discontinued).

Why do you laugh, Luke? Because the fans are happy? Because they can actually get what they want? :huh: It seems all the Lucas bitching has made you an agry and frustrated man (boy).

Alex

It was just for the irony...

I dont think it much 'ethical' to sell the package and not the sepparate versions, because as you said, most people just want one version of the lot. They are making them buy the whole set (for a whole set prize - not just 30 $ , that would be fine)

And they waited like 27-28 years for this releasing countless of versions and re-releases along the way.

Its a market strategy.

Anyway if Lucas was not happy with the OT and wanted to change it (regardless of the great success the OT as they were got) why is not scott critisiced as Lucas? I mean the original theatrical cut is a classic and im sure t has many fans, why people didnt cry when it was changed? It does not just adds SFX, it changes even the point of view of the movie. People cannot stand the milder Han Solo not shooting 1st.

Anyway if Lucas was not happy with the OT and wanted to change it (regardless of the great success the OT as they were got) why is not scott critisiced as Lucas? I mean the original theatrical cut is a classic and im sure t has many fans, why people didnt cry when it was changed? It does not just adds SFX, it changes even the point of view of the movie. People cannot stand the milder Han Solo not shooting 1st.

Simple. Scott is releasing all the versions, to satisfy those people.

Than why release the workprint and the original director's cut? They have no value, as they are not versions that satisfy anyone's vision. And, in a copious release like this, where there are two valid versions to be released, I think the extended European cut could have been left to deleted scenes.

Simple. Scott is releasing all the versions, to satisfy those people.

well ok.

Have these 5 versions all the same quality and cleansing?

Than why release the workprint and the original director's cut? They have no value, as they are not versions that satisfy anyone's vision.

Precisely, I'm glad Scott thinks about the fans and not just about his vision (like Lucas). Nobody is left out in the cold. If it was Lucas I would've been screwed big time because there would be no Theatrical Cut. If they want they can play it Lucas and make us pay many times over. No, we can get what we want and all at once. That's why everyone is happy. And the most important thing, nobody complains except people who have no interest in this masterpiece.

Alex

Have these 5 versions all the same quality and cleansing?

Yes, except for maybe the workprint, I guess. The workprint is more like a bonus. Compare it, if you will, with the latest Star Wars DVD where the original film was featured as a bonus (slick!)

Alex

Precisely, I'm glad Scott thinks about the fans and not just about his vision (like Lucas). Nobody is left out in the cold. If it was Lucas I would've been screwed big time because there would be no Theatrical Cut.

Hasnt it been arround for what, 25 years?

If they want they can play it Lucas and make us pay many times over.

Havent they already done that? How many times have you bought this particular movie?

No, we can get what we want and all at once.

And pay for it. And 'at once', after every release has had its isolated release (except the last one). And do you want ALL of the versions?

Anyway, i hardly think Scott gives a shit of the theatical cut. It must be the Warner Bros.

I have not personally seen the film, but I'm not seeing why it seems so screwed up to release all the versions. To get all the different cuts AND the workprint? That's a fan's DREAM. If nothing else, a release of multiple versions of a film is good for historical value.

I think Scott deserves more credit than that...he might actually care that people want to see the original. This all harkens back to the CE3K new cut.

Besdies, of all the versions, the next time I will be seeing the movie, it will most certainly be Scott's final cut. Kingdom of Heaven convinced me that he knows how to do a DC.

Hasnt it been arround for what, 25 years?

Yes, but it was never released on DVD or Blu-Ray which is the version I intent to buy.

Havent they already done that? How many times have you bought this particular movie?

No, the theatrical cut was only available on video, so I bought it once. I still have it. Terrible version

And pay for it. And 'at once', after every release has had its isolated release (except the last one). And do you want ALL of the versions?

Anyway, i hardly think Scott gives a shit of the theatical cut. It must be the Warner Bros.

No, only the DC of 1992 has been released on DVD. That's it! It was one of the first films to appear on DVD ten years ago. The transfer was appalling. Since then there were some legal issues with one of producers (who bought some rights when the production had financial trouble) and the planned 20th anniversary edition was cancelled. The dispute has recently been resolved. Of course, Warner thinks mainly about the cash (would they still be around if they didn't?), but in the process they are also pleasing everyone, I can't say the same for Lucas LTD.

Really Luke, most fans fear they are just dreaming and that it's all not true. I can't say I ever witnessed the same positive emotions in the Star Wars fanbase, quite the contrary. Are you sure you're not frustrated? The way you're all over this release, as if a criminal wrongdoing has been done. You're not even a fan!

After all the problems Blade Runner has had, it feels like justice has finally been done.

Alex

I like this way. One nice big package that assures you only have to spend your money once to get everything you want, and then Scott's final version released seperately for those who don't want to splurge.

I always like seeing alternate versions anyway, as they can give great insight into editing and storytelling techniques, and sometimes the creative process behind the film as well. I'm pleased that we'll be able to make our pick between the different incarnations of Blade Runner, and am highly interested in this set.

I am a bit worried about the price tag that might be attached, though...

The multi-disc set is probably overwhelming to your typical DVD buyer, but it's nice for the Blade Runner completist.

I don't understand Luke's complaints, but that could be because he seems to like to provoke people without thinking his comments through. Maybe he should change his name to "Voight-Kampff". The fact is this set will cover all of the bases. No one will be able to say their preferred version isn't available in a high quality format. If it sells well it's a win-win scenario for the fans and the studio.

Bravo to Warner Brothers for going through with this ambitious set and thank you to Ridley Scott for the kitchen sink.

Neil