Blade Runner: Final Cut

Greg1138

Appart from the unicorn origami, not very explanative, what else is there to say that deckard is a replicant?

Well, the unicorn origami is pretty obvious when you link it to the unicorn dream Deckard has.

Then there's also the eyes thing:

a0cv8l.jpg

And there are a few more hints/clues pointing at Deckard possibly being a Replicant (don't remember them right now, though. I'll let Cremers or someone else list them).

I can recall him being on the piano with a lot of old photos. I think one of the replicants had photos too.

The eyes yes, i remember... but i dont know if it's just a lighting effect. After all normal owls look like that depending on the angle of light and who hasnt had a photo with red eyes.

Also these replicants are robots or they are flesh and bone with just an electronic brain? Which brings the idea... has deckard never got a radio or sonography test?

Deckard seems less strong than the main antagonist (i forgot his name), i think that was because one is a replicant and other is a human...

About the unicorn...well humans also dream of unicorns... and maybe he told about the dream to his co-worker... and that's why he made a paper unicorn...

The eyes thing didn't exist in the TC either

Ahem!

You probably missed it.

Also these replicants are robots or they are flesh and bone with just an electronic brain? Which brings the idea... has deckard never got a radio or sonography test?

They are completely organic, like humans. Think of cloning and genetic engineering.

The eyes yes, i remember... but i dont know if it's just a lighting effect.

Well, technically, it is a lighting effect ... but it's also a hint for the audience to pick up. If replicant eyes glow then Deckard might be a replicant. Of course, the unicorn spells it out. Gaff does to Deckard what Deckard did to Rachael.

Deckard seems less strong than the main antagonist (i forgot his name), i think that was because one is a replicant and other is a human...

Or he's a replicant who has to function as a human. After all, blade runners are nothing more than humans that track down and kill replicants with a gun. Replicants are replacing humans.

I can recall him being on the piano with a lot of old photos. I think one of the replicants had photos too.

Yes. They hold on to photos. It gives them some kind of identity. The panorama shot on the piano in the TC has been exchanged for the unicorn reverie in later versions ... or vice versa, of course.

Well I've never seen the TC in high Def actually. I first saw the movie on the family tube TV when it was on the Sci if channel.

Then I saw the DC on DVD in college

Then I saw the final cut in theaters. That was awesome.

I saw the final cut too, my mistake, i said it was the DC.

If the replicants are fully "clones" or artificially engineered humans, that it makes more sense the things they do and the memory attachments.

One thing that doesnt make sense is the eye thing. if its that easy to spot...the replicant tests should lool it... I

Well I suppose that the issue will be explained/closed in Blade runner 2. If they still leave it ambiguous, then it is for the audience to choose if deckard is a replicant or not...

Almost everyone did ... but almost everybody have changed their mind in the decades that followed and now it's regarded as one of the great pieces of American cinema.

Alex

If the replicants are fully "clones" or artificially engineered humans, that it makes more sense the things they do and the memory attachments.

One thing that doesnt make sense is the eye thing. if its that easy to spot...the replicant tests should lool it... I

Well I suppose that the issue will be explained/closed in Blade runner 2. If they still leave it ambiguous, then it is for the audience to choose if deckard is a replicant or not...

I'd ratheerthey not explain it. I like the mystery in Blade Runner.

Ambiguity has no place in modern cinema! They'll make it really obvious whether Deckard is a replicant or not, and they'll repeat it many times throughout the film to make sure everyone in the audience got it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Seeing this next thursday in my local arthouse cinema.

The screen won't be huge, but their projection quality is usually second to none when it comes to sharpness and clarity.

Consider yourself lucky. The theatre in Antwerp is experimenting with Barco Laser Projection. It sucks, IMO.

• 1 month later...

Excerpt of new interview with Christopher Nolan in Forbes:

"It’s hard to say what was conscious homage, and what was my analysis of why Blade Runner was so convincing in its production design and in the way it uses its sets. From a pragmatic point of view, Blade Runner is actually one of the most successful films of all time in terms of constructing that reality using sets. On Batman Begins, unlike The Dark Knight, we found ourselves having to build the streets of Gotham in large part. So I immediately gravitated toward the visual treatment that Ridley Scott had come up with, in terms of how you shoot these massive sets to make them feel real and not like impressive sets. And immediately we started looking at the rain, the handheld cameras, the longer lenses…

So myself, my designer Nathan Crowley, and my cinematographer Wally Pfister, we started to throw all of that into the mix of how you can help the look of something, how you can create texture, as Ridley Scott has always been the absolute master of. Creating a texture to a shooting style that maximizes the impact of the set, and minimizes the artifice — the feeling that this world has edges to it that you would see at the edge of the frame. Blade Runner is one of the examples of how you can take a camera and get down and dirty… and really envelop your audience in the atmosphere of the world you’re trying to create. We definitely tried to emulate that style, and I think in doing so we actually created homage, particularly where we used the rain very much."

Always nice to hear talented people give their praise.

Alex

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Podcast about Villeneuve's Arrival and then Ridley Scott's Blade Runner:

http://www.cutprintfilm.com/podcast/cut-print-film-podcast-episode-94/

I tried to listen to it but what a bunch of buffoons! They had to watch the 3,5 hour docu before they could appreciate the film somewhat. In fact,  they thought the docu (where things get explained, of course) is much better than the movie. No really, I stopped listening when they said Ford's finest acting moment was with Regarding Henry. However, I did like the comparison they made with Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon where you need to listen 10 times to the album before you can catch all the layers that are going on. They say Blade Runner is the cinematic equivalent but no way they want to watch Blade Runner 10 times: It's too dark, too dreary, the story is too muffled and the villains are more sympathetic than Deckard and Rachael. God ...

Oh, how about this one? Panel: "HBO's Westworld treats similar themes much better but that's only normal because Blade Runner is from 1982."

:lol:

Alex

What an I say, Richard, it's a Nolanized world.

Podcast panel: "I understand that we the audience have to do the work but they gotta throw a bone every now and then!" 

:mellow:

Still, Dunkirk has more chances of being good or less bad than Alien: Covenant. Or do you still have faith in Scott? Scott thinks the audience isn't intelligent (I kid you not) and I think he is making movies while constantly keeping that in mind. Just watch Exodus!

• 1 month later...

Harrison Ford says: "I felt it was important for the audience to have a human representation on the screen that they can identify with."

However, the irony is that many, if not most, people identify with the replicants and not Deckard.

Notice also how, according to Ford, there is only one hint (a little piece of origami) in the movie that suggest Deckard might be a replicant. This goes to show that Ford is still unaware of the more subtle clues in the film. Maybe it's time for him to watch Blade Runner again?

Alex