storing your cd collection

MagicRat75

Obviously CD's should be protected from humidity ( esp away from radiator and window ) and dust as well as possible, but does it matter whether they are stored vertically or horizontally?

I am sure I read somewhere that for more than 5 years CD's should be stored vertically - like books.. how correct is this?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea. My guess is that gravity might cause the CD casing or something to clump at the bottom, making it unbalanced and such, but you won't have that problem until the material itself starts to deterierate after like, 100 years. I would say it doesn't matter. Just make sure you have a copy of anything you really want to keep on tape, because there have been questions as to the longevity of digital material on CD's. Most of them have been worked out, but just in case.

~JW

I've always stored my discs vertically. Rarely have I come across one that was damaged over time (cd rot). I prefer them vertical, they just look better and are easier to handle/categorize (alphabatize).

I store mine hermetically in mayonaise jars. :)

Vertically,in a cabinet that has glass doors.I'm thinking of putting the c.d.'s in boxes since I hardly use them.I use my MP3 rips.

K.M.

i got mine on a shelf (quite near a window frankly, and weather is humid and hot here all year round. but the window is usually closed with curtains and more than half the day the air con is on.), arranged vertically like books, in composer>series>chronological order.

I really store mine flat like a platter, that is the best way to store them. Best way to read the label too.

But surely if they are stored vertically then it is much more likely that they will scratch each other when you move them?

But surely if they are stored vertically then it is much more likely that they will scratch each other when you move them?

Uh, store them inside their cases and it will prevent that.

Hey marty just make sure that your shelf doesn't break and your CD's go bye bye onto the floor scratching them all.

LOL Sorry Johnnyecks but I had to say that... :angry:

I store mine in my cats stomach.

Vertically.

yeah we know the truth on that, you store them in your cats ass vertically, and you can believe it only takes one cat, its got a tardis for an ass. But getting them out can be a bitch.

Here's a picture of your cat all bloated from too many cd's

Angry_Shaved_Cat.jpg

here's a picture of your cat when you mistakenly pull out AOTC, now thats one nasty turd.

10003836182_s.jpg

Vertically, and from time to time there are size gaps between composers/types, so they end up diagonally :( I'm filling the spaces with Williams-related bookends

Vertically, and from time to time there are size gaps between composers/types, so they end up diagonally :(    I'm filling the spaces with Williams-related bookends

Which bookends? I'm having the same problems with diagonal cds. It's very irritating. I've been looking for some kind of bookends to use, can you tell me where you get them?

It's curious how John is interested in this subject... :)

Really, that has been a really important period for the board, I remember you uploading a lot of photos, it must have been a very baaad moment.

I still wonder how tragic must have been the very moment you saw your whole collection as it is in the pic in your signature.

They are just various stuff connected to the work of movies John has scored. There's such stuff possible, from figurines to books to movie-props.

They are just various stuff connected to the work of movies John has scored.  There's such stuff possible, from figurines to books to movie-props.

Ahh I see what you mean. Not exactally "John Williams" Props but more like 'John Willams Movies'" Probs.

Understood you wrong.

Thanks for the clarification.

TJ,

My pic in my sig is not so much so that I remember what happened, but that everyone else remembers. It's important that everyone keeps this tragedy in the back of their minds, so that it dosen't happen again.

My pic in my sig is not so much so that I remember what happened, but that everyone else remembers. It's important that everyone keeps this tragedy in the back of their minds, so that it dosen't happen again.

I put it right up there with the collapse of the WTC, the Challenger explosion, and the debacles that were the final episodes of Mash and Seinfeld.

John, I'd link the "Never forget 9/19/04" line to the thread of the tragedy, so that all the members who joined this board since then can be informed about that dramatic period, and all the steps to trying to go back to what it used to be before the C-Day (Collapse-Day). ;)

I went ahead and searched Johnny's postings and found that old thread he started of that incident. All I can say is......DAMN. I hope that would never happen to me. I have since pmed Johnny and apologized about poking at him in regarding the incident...

I didn't realize how disasterous it was until I saw the before and after pictures. Glad you were able to re-build it Johnny.

Johnny, not to be negative, but it seriously looks like that type of storage unit is about to topple over at any minute. The fact that the picture was taken on an angle doesn't help either :sigh:

Tim

Here is a great way to store your cd's.

Vertically.

This is what I now use.

27182070.jpg

that picture is so familiar, I can't quite place it, but lets hope a pair of 767's hijacked by muslim terrorist doesn't crash into them, or that a 70's style gorilla doesn't climb them.

Jesus Christ Joe!!

Anyhow, they are actually very sturdy and stable. I haven't had any .. uh .. issues with them.

one tiny spark becomes a night of blazing suspense.

Joe who wishes he could do photo shop, because this just screams from one.

Oh the ideas floating in my mind, but some would definately offend people.

But damn I could have fun with that image.

Mark, you dastardly man.

foiled by technological inability. damn.

Anyhow, they are actually very sturdy and stable. I haven't had any .. uh ..  issues with them.

...yet... :music:

However, didn't you rebuilt the CD storage as it was before? I remember pictures of the "after" being almost identical of the "before", I mean before that day, I thought you rebuilt everything. I'm referring to this photo.

And I remember those spinning twin towers, if I recall correctly you already had some of them (from the thread where everyone posted pics of their CD collection), like this. This was posted before the c-day.

Anyhow, they are actually very sturdy and stable. I haven't had any .. uh ..  issues with them.

...yet... :P

However, didn't you rebuilt the CD storage as it was before? I remember pictures of the "after" being almost identical of the "before", I mean before that day, I thought you rebuilt everything. I'm referring to this photo.

And I remember those spinning twin towers, if I recall correctly you already had some of them (from the thread where everyone posted pics of their CD collection), like this. This was posted before the c-day.

Yes, I owned one of this spinners for quite a number of years before the wall. I dissassembled it when the wall was built, and put it into storage.

I moved since that day, and while I can build another one where I am living now, I decided against it for the sole reason of not wanting to go through with building it yet once again. So I bought extra spinners, and they now hold everything quite nicely.

Say what you will, but these are very sturdy and very stable. They are wider than what they look like in those pictures, they're about a foot and 1/2 wide on each side. They aint' toppling anywhere unless one gets pushed. Which, there is not a soul in the this house that will do that.

Right now my actual physical CD collection is a bit small, only 30 CD's so they're stacked up some what close to my monitor on my computer desk.

However after I've really built up my collection with physical CD's and CD-R scores I'll be buying this here for both my CD and DVD collection. Of course I'll be getting the deal in black since I hate most furniture stuff like this in red...yuck.

John, so you rebuilt the whole wall, and then after a short time you changed house?

I posted pics of part of my CD collection in the photo thread some time ago.