Are you still bitter . . .?

Josh500

Are you still bitter about JW not winning the Oscar for Memoirs?  

59 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes.
    • No.

. . . about John Williams losing his sixth Oscar to Brokeback Mountain?

Personally, I am -- a little. But I think now it's time to move on. LOL

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched only that portion of the Academy Awards for the score part and was just pissed when he didnt win. They have been screwing him for a number of years now. When CMIYC lost to Frida, that was it for me.

JMan

I've known for a couple of years now that the oscars get more political every second, so despite a couple of right choices (including LotR), I don't really care that much either.

I feel more sorry for the non-score community; they're being seriously misled ;)

. . . about John Williams losing his sixth Oscar to Brokeback Mountain?

Personally, I am -- a little. But I think now it's time to move on.  LOL

no,

John didn't lose his sixth Oscar, since he hasn't won it yet,

I've stopped caring.

Indeed.

Actually I was more pissed off that the score for Revenge Of The Sith didn't even get put into nomination at all.

Maybe JW is in a deep depression,that's why he's not scoring anything.He keeps hearing the Brokeback theme in his head over and over again.

K.M.

I think it's more annoying that Goldsmith only ever won a single Oscar and not even for his best score....Papillon, Patton, Hoosiers, Basic Instinct, any one of them could have garnered Best Score.. Star Trek The Motion Picture...Alien...the list goes on.

then again, Alex North never won a single Oscar although he received a Lifetime Achievement B.S. award for being ignored all those years.

I don't care. Williams has been ridiculously honored throughout his life; six Oscars versus five is no big deal.

Its sad to see these young-one-hit (or sometimes not even hits..) composers win when so many great composers didnt got their deserved share of awards.

At least Williams gets some recognition.

There really is no point being bitter about it, I mean, its been three months. Sure Williams might have deserved it, but whats done is done.

I have to admit that I still am. This is the Oscar race that I've folloed more intensely, and, even I'm never a postive person, below that appearance of not expecting Williams to win, I hoped he did. Every time I listen to Memoirs I remember this, and I think the only way I will forget is if I see Williams getting another oscar.

On the other hand, Williams being overawarded if compared to other composers, is just a fact, but will never be a good excuse for him not getting more Oscars. But I guess that's the way it is.

Nobody should be bitter about JW missing out on an Oscar afterall it's not like he hasn't got an Oscar or that he hasn't been recognised for his work in the film industry.

Last year was a chance for the Academy to redeem itself; alas, it didn't. Until they rename their categories from "Best" to "Favorite," I'm going to be irritated every time the best score of the year loses (or is not even nominated) because ignorant people will consider it inferior. Bad for the industry.

John didn't lose his sixth Oscar, since he hasn't won it yet

no,

John Williams, as far as I'm aware, lost the race for the Best Original Score Oscar. In other words he lost the Oscar. In other words he lost an additional Oscar to his five. In other words he lost his sixth. (To lose = To fail to win, according to most dictionaries in the English language. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Yes my life has been in complete shambles since the Oscars. My wife won't even talk to me because of it and my kids are scared to death their dad will go into one of his nighly drunken Oscar rages.

I don't know how I can go on.

I'm not as p***ed about Williams' loss as I am about Santaolalla's win.

Same here. That piece that played for The Constant Gardener had me interested. Not Brokeback, Never Brokeback.

Oh I am still bitter but I am slowly getting over it. I do not need to see Williams getting an Academy Award to tell me that Memoirs of a Geisha is a beautiful score. I think that wishing for appreciation and recognition for your favourite composer is a good thing and it may disappoint you when larger audience does not recognize Williams efforts (even though Geisha won every other price besides the Oscar) but life goes on and in the end awards are not the thing that is important but my own appreciation of the composer.

No, it was a nice score but by no means a great one. It's certainly nowhere near as good a score as Superman, ESB, Raiders, Harry Potter (1 and 3), and a whole host of other Williams scores that didn't win either.

True (to what Steef said), but the five oscars Williams holds are all for exceptional scores IMO. It would spoil the list a little if an average Williams score contaminated them. Personally I don't care which score wins the oscar any more. There have been so many poor choices for winner in the past that another Williams loss doesn't really bother me. I only rate Williams scores against other Williams scores now as he's really in a category of his own for me. I would have loved Philosopher's/Sorcerer's stone to win an oscar because I truly think it's an outstanding score, and one of Williams' best of recent years. IMO it belongs (with Superman, Raiders, Empire) alongside the five oscar winners. Not because they were better than the actual winners from those years (which they clearly were!) but just because they are among the cream of Williams' achievements.

Am I rambling? Sorry, I'll stop now.

HP and POA are better than Geisha,but Geisha is miles ahead of the Santaollala crap that won.

And Now Harry Potter and the Half Bood Prince will be scored by famed Oscar Winner Gustavo Santaollala .

K.M.

No, not at all.

I stop being about a week before the Oscar show! I just came to my senses at that point, and understood that Williams didn't had a chance against one of the worst scores ever.

In the end, it's just life, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't, and other times you get robbed.

Williams should be including 'Towner' onto his name and add a little oddness...

BTW gimme Geisha over HP anytime...

He did that for the year he was nominated for "Nixon" and "Sabrina." He added his middle initial for "Nixon." Or at least that's the way I remember Quincy Jones announcing it, with Sharon Stone next to him.

It didn't help.

I guess I'm still bitter, because I did this: :roll: when I saw this in the library today:

11t21iq.jpg

In the article, he says: "I never really learned how to read or write music."

I am more bitter that he did not score HP Goblet Of Fire and that Doyle did not use Voldemort's theme during the graveyard scene.

In the article, he says: "I never really learned how to read or write music."

You're not helping Lisa ;)

Hey, misery loves company :spiny:

(I just found the article online in case anyone's feeling in a particularly masochistic mood ;)Hispanic Magazine)