Pirates of the Caribbean 2 score news

In case anybody is interested in some news about Hans Zimmer's score for Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Dead Man's Chest:

Interview

Video

At the moment, I'm not exactly certain what to make of this. I really like scores to pirate movies, most notably Cutthroat Island and Hook. I used to like the score to the first PotC film a lot, until my interest dropped after hearing Cutthroat Island. I really want the score to the second film to be good, but what I see, read and hear from these two sources haven't really given me any confidence that it will be good. Seems like Hans Zimmer is having rather oddish ideas. Almost as if he insists on coming up with something truly original, but fails miserably, because thinking of something original isn't always the best choice. Sometimes writing something in the same style as has been done previously for similar films is a better idea and that certainly applies to Pirates. Pirate movie should have swashbuckling orchestral music. So I hope he'll be adding enough swashbuckling orchestra in... :?

The soundtrack is scheduled for release on July 4th.

Apparently, this is what Hans Zimmer said about his work on the first Pirates of the Caribbean:

Well, I thought honesty was a virtue! But seriously, Jerry Bruckheimer quite rightly asked me not to give him "that old-fashioned Pirate music," and Gore Verbinski, who I adore and did The Ring with, said, "Well, it is a pirate movie, so we have to disguise it." In the end, I spent a day and a half writing tunes, Klaus Badelt wrote a lot of stuff, and we rolled up our sleeves, got drunk, behaved in a debauched way, and produced a score!

They're joking, right? :P

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Zimmer is going for ye olde power anthem material. Pity. But judging by the interview, it seems to be what Verbinski wants, so there you go.

No he's not joking, Alan Silvestri was attached to the first film and left because of differences with Bruckheimer over the score.

JB didn't want an old fashioned Pirate score.

If Verbinski wanted Zimmer-like music, why did he hire Alan Silvestri at first? He could've known that Silvestri would come up with something very much not Zimmer-like. It wouldn't surprise me if Verbinski really did want Silvestri to write some genuine pirate music and that the sole reason for Silvestri being fired is Bruckheimer insisting on a Zimmer-score.

Williams needs to step INTO a franchise for once. See if his insurmountable prowess can work the other way round.

Williams scoring a POTC movie would be interesting, but I think it would be a little late at this point. Also, I doubt Jerry Bruckheimer or Verbinski appreciates Williams' style, and he might suffer from his first rejected score, considering their tastes.

This is such a tragedy because the Pirates movies are ones that are ripe for great, memorable scores. The score is the only thing I don't like about the first movie.

Still, if Zimmer is doing most of it himself maybe it'll at least be a little more tolearable than the assault on the ears the Zimmerclones produced for the first one.

Nobody in their right mind would reject a Williams score (at least at this point). Hmm... well, for any other franchise, perhaps... but as long as they released the score on album at least, I wouldn't care. New music is new music. And I'm sure we could have later line up cues with scenes to appreciate the score with visuals if necessary, seeing how the development of "Sparrow's Theme" worked chronologically, or the "Love Theme," or "Davey Jones... The Confrontation."

I don't think you'll see Bruckheimer hiring John Williams any time soon, thank god. Williams can find better films to work on.

I'm absolutely for the idea of using nontraditional music in a pirate film, but there's one problem with Zimmer's take on this:

It sucks.

Why does everyone hate the first POTC score? I thought it was decent enough, no Williams score but still servicable.

I can't remember the movie very well, but I think I remember the scene where the skeleton-pirates are revealed had absurdly awful music...??

It's alright. For the first 20 minutes. Then it just turns to repetitive and inappropriate shite.

You shameless Zimmer-hugging MV fanboy!

First Roald, now you? Truly a dark day for my country!

Next you'll be saying that those Prequels are better then you gave then credit for.

I think I'm gonna be sick now!

I can't remember the movie very well, but I think I remember the scene where the skeleton-pirates are revealed had absurdly awful music...??

It worked well in the movie...hell all of the music did...

But on album...the skeleton-pirate music...is just...ear-killing.

It worked well in the movie...hell all of the music did...

No it didn't.

The film was an lighthearted action comedy starring Johnny Depp in an insanely funny role.

The score captured none of that. Almost every second of it was semi-Apocalyptic noise, which made it sound like the world was gonna be destroyed!

It might have worked on Armageddon, but it's totally out of place in POTC.

I'm absolutely for the idea of using nontraditional music in a pirate film, but there's one problem with Zimmer's take on this:  

It sucks.

LOL

It's the musical equivalent of someone using a beaseball bat to ram an icepick into your brain, and missing and hitting your head half the time.

I think I understand why POTC is so hated. Its because it sucks and I know that now.

That's OK, you don't have to use defeatist reverse psychology or some crap like that.

I just voiced my opinion on Pirates of the Caribbean. It's rather simple, but it's what I think. Did I say you were wrong?

No, you didn't say I was wrong. I've just come to terms with the fact that it sucks. I've changed my opinion, that is all. And for the record, I am sincere.

It's alright. For the first 20 minutes. Then it just turns to repetitive and inappropriate shite.

You shameless Zimmer-hugging MV fanboy!

First Roald, now you? Truly a dark day for my country!

Next you'll be saying that those Prequels are better then you gave then credit for.

I think I'm gonna be sick now!

Well i hope that a high percent of the people here agree that is more worth watching the preqeuls trilogy than hearing POTC score.

If not im the one who's going to be sick...

Williams scoring a POTC  movie would be interesting, but I think it would be a little late at this point.  Also, I doubt Jerry Bruckheimer or Verbinski appreciates Williams' style, and he might suffer from his first rejected score, considering their tastes.

Yeah it would be interesting to hear Williams score for POTC but John Williams isn't interested in this kind of movies anyway. John Williams is with all Steven Spielberg movies and other films that John Williams might be interested in and that where his gonna stay for rest of his film music career.

As soon as the movie started the music sucked. It started off with the typical MV synth crap that I've come to expect from a Bruckheimer film.

But, gentlemen, can this anonymous reviewer on iTunes be wrong? I think not...

"This rivals John Williams Star Wars soundtracks! I listened to one song - 'The Black Pearl,' and that was it for me! I immediately bought it, and haven't stopped listening to it for a while. I worship 'Pirates of the Caribbean,' and I can't believe I haven't thought of buying the soundtrack before! Klaus Badelt really went all-out on this one, and it's worth it. Great album, but if you're still reading this, you have to buy, at least, 'The Black Pearl." You will never tire of it, matey!"

Look at all those exclamation marks! And this guy sounds like he's a pirate himself!

thats how most people are. I've seem to notice that people who are die-hard rock fans also seem to be attracted to the MV style. Also thats just his opinion, and I doubt he's heard any of the great pirate scores.

:music: Rosalie, one of the songs that started to turn me away from North by Northwest

"This rivals John Williams Star Wars soundtracks! I listened to one song - 'The Black Pearl,' and that was it for me! I immediately bought it, and haven't stopped listening to it for a while. I worship 'Pirates of the Caribbean,' and I can't believe I haven't thought of buying the soundtrack before! Klaus Badelt really went all-out on this one, and it's worth it. Great album, but if you're still reading this, you have to buy, at least, 'The Black Pearl." You will never tire of it, matey!"

Look at all those exclamation marks! And this guy sounds like he's a pirate himself!

puke.gif

Nothing make a stinging point more stinging and pointy than a bunch of exclamation marks. It's like looking at the headlines at AICN. ! for "eh", !! for "average", !!! for "big news", !!!! for "off the scale".

No, you didn't say I was wrong. I've just come to terms with the fact that it sucks. I've changed my opinion, that is all. And for the record, I am sincere.

I don't buy that. If you really don't like Pirates of the Caribbean, cool. However, I still think you're subverting your opinion to garner pity. Either that, or you're really impressionable.

Well Cerrabore, I don't know what to tell you. I suppose I am impressionable, since I did not change my opinion to garner pity. Why would I do that? To be honest I have never really liked POTC, but I had just noticed the intense dislike for it here and wanted to ask about it.

Well I will be the odd one then and say that I really enjoy the Pirates Of The Caribbean score and I'm looking forward to hearing the second one. The score was one of the highest rated and most purchased soundtracks when it came out and that many people can't be wrong. High school concert and marching bands were buying the sheet music and playing it in the schools. Also, I noticed that it was tracked in during television broadcast of the Athens 2004 Summer Games, along with John Williams Jurassic Park Theme (not bad company). I will admit that I don't like the way the score was mixed and it does some bad things to my speakers, but as far as the music compositions, I really enjoy them and I have listed to the CD repeatedly while driving or at home. I only wish they had included more then 40 minutes of music, since the movie itself was about 2 1/2 hours long.

I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion- I know that will be impossible given the hatred towards the soundtrack expressed here. But I did want to communicate a different point of view, just for balance.

If you've ever heard Gladiator, Crimson Tide, or Backdraft, you'll know why so many people here dislike it. Also, a lot of people have not seen those films, save for Gladiator, so that's probably why PotC is so popular.