Pirates of the Caribbean 2 score news

Bruckheimer would be on my list of people not to ask for ochestral advice.

Really? Isn't it foolproof? Ask him, get as much detailed an answer as possible, and do the exact opposite of it. The result has to be the best score ever.

And, sadly, the most rejected score ever.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, he seems to have no problem rejecting a score if its not what he wants, but then again maybe Silvestri's PotC was just that bad. And if its only because of the sequence that was supposed to lighthearted he could have just had Silvestri rescore that section.

And Klaus Badelt seems to have been grouped among the worst of MV, and taking a lot of flak simply because of his role as overproducer of Pirates.

Mmm Music by Klaus badelt. Score overproduced by Hans Zimmer.

POTC is Badelt's fault, by bruckheimer request i suppose.

'Twas the other way around. Zimmer wrote the themes, Klaus Badelt was told to set the guidelines for the music within those themes, and the cronies wrote away. :P

Basically it was Zimmer and Klaus overseeing.

yes, he seems to have no problem rejecting a score if its not what he wants, but then again maybe Silvestri's PotC was just that bad.  And if its only because of the sequence that was supposed to lighthearted he could have just had Silvestri rescore that section.

It's been said many times - Silvestri didn't record anything. He never got past some original demos which were rejected, largely for using 'forbidden' woodwinds, as far as I know.

As I posted earlier isn't it odd that Zimmer is now reportedly using woodwinds considering what happened on the first film?

And Klaus Badelt seems to have been grouped among the worst of MV, and taking a lot of flak simply because of his role as overproducer of Pirates.

Mmm Music by Klaus badelt. Score overproduced by Hans Zimmer.

POTC is Badelt's fault, by bruckheimer request i suppose.

'Twas the other way around. Zimmer wrote the themes, Klaus Badelt was told to set the guidelines for the music within those themes, and the cronies wrote away. :P

Basically it was Zimmer and Klaus overseeing.

No no no

At least in the CD it says Music composed by klaus badelt and score OVERproduced by zimmer.

Zimmer oversaw (and made the themes without orchestration i suppose), Badelt composed the music and the rest of the people involved, composed the additional music.

http://www.cinemusic.net/reviews/2003/pira..._caribbean.html

I don't know why when ever someone comes on here saying they like the original Pirates Of The Caribbean score they get blasted by other members for it...

I for one love the original Pirates Of The Caribbean score all though I doubt I'll be getting the Dead Man's Chest score since I'm not very fond of Zimmer's music.

I guess it all comes down to a matter of opinion but just because a few people that like the original Pirates Of The Caribbean doesn't mean they should get blasted by the other members here who don't like the score. :roll:

Really? Which member got blasted?

Apart from some comments directed to the faceless mob, and a poor iTunes reviewer, I don't remember much. Perhaps I missed it.

Most of this thread has been a critique of the original score, not the people listening to it.

Um no I think not.  Klaus Badelt did the first score...

Um yes I think so. If nothing else, POTC sounds like a cut and paste of Zimmer's most overused themes. It's a :P immer score, through and through.

He may not have been credited, but his fingerprints are all over it. POTC was scored by around about 7 or 8 people AFAIK, and to think that Zimmer wasn't largely involved in it is just plain ridiculous.

Zimmer= music for movies that need to make the most money possible in 1 weekend at the box office then dissapear instantly from public conciousness.

K.M.

The score to POTC is an insult to anyone who treasures the symphonic film score legacy. It's a lazy, lazy, lazy piece of work. We, as John Williams fans (which also means we do love great film music), should be on the frontline against this kind of pre-packaged so-called artistry, not defend it.

The score of POTC stands as one of the most notorious examples of what it is bad in the world of film music today.

And not only it is a cut and paste job from a dozen other scores, but also most of those scores weren't that great to start with.

Um no I think not.  Klaus Badelt did the first score...

Klaus Badelt, Ramin Djawadi, James Dooley, Nick Glennie-Smith, Steve Jablonsky, Blake Neely, James McKee Smith, and Geoff Zanelli did the first score.

Just giving credit (or blame) where it is due.

Really? Isn't it foolproof? Ask him, get as much detailed an answer as possible, and do the exact opposite of it. The result has to be the best score ever.

Who are you? The George Costanza of film music?

For those of you looking forward to the soundtrack, here is the track listing according to the Disney Records website. For those of you not looking forward to it, I'm sure it will be more fuel for the fire. I suppose I should give a possible spoiler alert, although the track tiltles doen't reveal anything that hasn't already been seen in the theatrical trailer.

"Soundtrack features original score by Hans Zimmer plus a Bonus Pirates remix track by world-renown mixer, DJ Tiesto."

1. Jack Sparrow

2. The Kraken

3. Davy Jones

4. I've Got My Eye On You

5. Dinner Is Served

6. Tia Dalma

7. Tortuga (Two Hornpipes)

8. A Family Affair

9. Wheel of Fortune

10. You Look Good Jack

11. Hello Beastie

12. He’s A Pirate – Tiësto Remix

^What's wrong with it? I'm not saying it's good, I genuinely don't know the do's and don'ts of graphic design. I'd like to know what's wrong with it, so I might avoid making those mistakes....

It's not that bad. It didn't ruin the film, and the sequence with Depp's introduction was pretty popcorn movie-esque. Heck, it was a fun night out at the movies. Never considered getting the score though. I do remember my wife and I remarking about the music being tasteless overall as we left the theatre. Still, someone said "servicable". I agree, but I think the movie is better than the score.

I don't have any of Tiesto's albums, so I don't want to sound like a Tiesto fan. But I do know that he travels the world selling out stadiums of people that dance to his music. So he may have some right to be called "world renowned" in that sense. I know I'd much rather hear a remix of "He's A Pirate" then tacky rock songs like the ones they stuck on the end of the HP: Goblet Of Fire album.

The thing I really cant take about Hans Zimmer is that he wrote great music for Lion King and then it all is the very same thing in every movie, ESPECIALLY Pirates. Im thinking specifically of the french horn sound during the stampede that kills Mufasa. Argh.

JMan

Well, he _does_ write great scores from time to time... the most recent Zimmer I really like is Hannibal, although he somehow ripped off Mahler's Adagietto in the final track. Well, Last Samurai also has its moments.

but then again maybe Silvestri's PotC was just that bad.

Unlikely. Have you ever heard a Silvestri score that even registers on the same crappometer as Pirates of the Caribbean? :folder:

I've heard the Tiësto remix.

I dare anyone to listen to it, and still call the first score noise. :folder:

What's sad is that this remix, along with the entire album will probably be heralded by the masses as an "excellent score" and will sell like hotcakes. ;)

I've already heard plenty of negative reactions to this remix by people who liked the first score.

And rightly so.

If people who liked the first score think this remix is crap it must truly be a new definition of crap.

Thank you, Mr. Moderator, for taking the bullet so we don't have to.