The OFFICIAL World Cup Football thread

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Portugal has to get through the first stage. After that anything can happen and that aplies to all the teams. I think Spain may finally live up to their potential, as well as England. Argentina will dissapoint as they've lately. Brazil, Italy, France, Spain, England, Portugal, Holland and Germany are the top 8 teams in my book.

Ronaldo, overwheight or not, will be the tournament's top scorer.

It's funny, I have seen more Football commercials this spring then all other years combined. They're simple and quiet spots that are trying to encourage enthusiasm and patriotism for the USA team. This sport isn't all that big here, and other then the impressive women's team over the last 10 years, we haven't had much to cheer about. The American Women's league, which was created after the sudden populary, failed after only a few years, and basically just died out. I personally don't care too much about this brand of Football, as I have far too much love for other sports, like Baseball, Ice Hockey, etc...

But lately, it has certainly felt as though the organization is trying to promote the sport a little more and get the public involved in the World Cup. We're playing Czech Republic in the first round.....what are our chances to do well? ;)

Tim

They're simple and quiet spots that are trying to encourage enthusiasm and patriotism for the USA team

thats because the majority of sports fans in America don't care, and probably don't even know the US has a team. I can tell you that there are 88 days until football, but I can't tell you who plays on the USA team, but they probably need a haircut.

So while I won't root or cheer for any team in particular, including the USA's, I do hope my friend Stefan's choice does well.

I guess Ladon Donavon is the United States Star, and Brain McBride has one of the best headers in the game. Solid old Eddie Pope on fullback with really old Claudia Rena up in Center Mid.

thats because the majority of sports fans in America don't care, and probably don't even know the US has a team.

For the monthly FIFA ranking, U.S.A. is one of the best team in the world (I only remember Brazil at #1 and Czech Republic at #2, but the US should be in the top-5).

Which obviously means that the FIFA ranking doesn't really reflects the truth... :roll:

but I can't tell you who plays on the USA team, but they probably need a haircut.

I think you should stop envying people with hair. Being bald ain't a tragedy. Or you could use a toupee, like Elton John. :spiny:

I really don't see a team other than Brazil that could win this competition, once again. Italy had a better team in 2002 (where it get eliminated thanks to a goddamn corrupted referee), so we won't win (unless huge surprises as in 1982 - when we almost got eliminated in the first round, then "woke up" and started to play really greatly).

Brazil is always a great team, always young. They won 4 years ago. This year they have most the same great players they had 4 years ago, plus a certain Ronaldinho... ;)

Once again they are trying to cram Soccer down our throats and as always, as it has been, a majority of Americans don't care.

But hey it's good to see people have something to cheer about these days.

Great idea for a thread, Stefan! I reckon most neutral football fans (if such things exist) would like to see the Dutch do well, if only because they were dicked over twice by the gods of football in the 1970s. However, the Netherlands really need to practise taking penalties - they're nearly as bad as England from 12 yards!

Italy and USA both find themselves in the so-called 'group of death'. Italy usually do well in the World Cup but they often start poorly (as in 1982) and that may be their undoing on this occasion, with three other strong teams in their group. Should they get through the group stage, I think they will do well. I also put some money on at the bookies for Luca Toni to finish top scorer in the tournament. :music:

As for England's chances, I am worried that the team is a little over-confident. They should get through the group stage, barring a disaster, but will be desperate to avoid the hosts and arch rivals Germany in the second round. If Germany don't win their group, the game between England and Sweden on 20th June could be very interesting; I can see both teams trying to LOSE to make sure they don't top the group and thus avoid Germany in the next round!

By the way, Pi, has Brad Friedel (no Terminator jokes, please) retired from international football? He is a much better keeper than Keller or Tim Howard.

Damien

Keller is a good keeper...but the best in the world????

I think the best nowadays is Dida (despite this last not-so-great season).

And Ronaldo being the top-scorer? Probably, or maybe Ronaldinho (even if I see him more as an assist player rather than a goal player).

Overweight or not, Ronaldo is still one of thebest players in the world, and I think it's near to his Barcellona/first year in Inter days, before the long injuries series (damn, from 1998 to 2002 and more, poor guy). He may not be faster as when he was younger, but that's just something that happens to everyone...after all, already 9 years are passed since he left Barcellona, so he's not that young anymore...

Mirko - who still want him back to Inter. :music:

Ronaldo is still one of thebest players in the world, and I think it's near to his Barcellona/first year in Inter days, before the long injuries series (damn, from 1998 to 2002 and more, poor guy). He may not be faster as when he was younger, but that's just something that happens to everyone...after all, already 9 years are passed since he left Barcellona, so he's not that young anymore...

Ronaldo is overweight, and spend most of this year in Madrid keeping a bench warm.

I don't expect much from him.

Ronaldinho on the other hand....

This is his chance to make himself truly immortal, in the way that only Pelé and Maradonna have been.

JoeinAr wrote:

but I can't tell you who plays on the USA team, but they probably need a haircut.

I think you should stop envying people with hair. Being bald ain't a tragedy. Or you could use a toupee, like Elton John.  

I am hardly envious of people with hair tj, I love being bald, and have for about 15 years. While those of you with hair are busing washing and combing, ok your generation doesn't know what a comb is, but I don't spend a lot of time washing and drying my head. I have a nice suntan on it by now. I find that both men and women find it sexy, moreso than hair. I just don't like long hair, I think it looks nasty and unkempt.

I just don't like long hair, I think it looks nasty and unkempt.

I agree. I cut my hair once or twice a month, and have it very very short. The pics I posted probably doesn't give the idea of how short my hair really is.

I have to say, Stef, I saw the sub-21 final here in Portugal which Holland won, and you have some amazing players in that squad. Holland should have a terrific team by the time of Euro 2008.

However' date=' the Netherlands really need to practise taking penalties - they're nearly as bad as England from 12 yards![/quote']

The last time we had to win a game by a round of penalties' date=' we won....[/color']

True enough. And to be fair, Neeskins scored from the spot against West Germany in the '74 final.

I found some stats on penalty shootouts in major international competitions. It looks like England, Italy and the Netherlands are the teams with the poorest records in shootouts (scroll down to Overall Records):

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/penalties.html#tour

About Italy being bad (it's better to say "unlucky" most of the times...) at penalities. Yes, that's partially true.

We lost the World Cup 1994, after more than 2 hors played at gooddamn summer noon (which means HOT - definitely a temperature Brazilians are more used to). Most players had cramps in the legs. Baresi (a defensive player, so not much expert in shooting penalties) had cramps, and failed his penalty.

Roberto Baggio rarely had failed penalties in his career, that's how that was so painfull. He's not Martin Palermo (that Argentinian idiot able to fail 3 penalties in the same match LOL ). Baggio always had a great touch in assists, crosses, free kicks, corner kicks and penalities. No one really know why he failed, probably he neither. That's life.

That's why I said we were unlucky. Both teams were good, and both deserve the Cup. I honestly think it's not fair to assign a so important Cup after penalties.

Then we lost to France in 1998, in quarterfinals.

I hope that's enough losts. Damn, it's two consecutive World Cups. :thumbup:

If you are gonna miss a penalty at least get it on net and let the goalie save it. I remember running around the kitchen in shock as a child when he missed that. Also in that tournament the United States Sweeper marcelo balboa missed scoring the best goal in soccer history by a mere 5 inches when facing the opposite of the goal he byciled a corner a few inches wide of a helpless keeper.

The USA is the wierd country - in every other country the popularity of soccer is overywhelming. Americans like simple, high scoring games, because we have low attention spans and a dumb president, thats why it never caught on.

pi, football has been popular since anyone of us was born, including the pres. And you're wrong, football doesn't have to be a high scoring game to be exciting. Also just because the rest of the world thinks its great doesn't mean its the best. Hell, its slow and boring, no scoring. Even Baseball scores more than soccer.

As for calling it simple, how stupid.

soccer is simple you run and kick a ball, rarely getting it into a net, so called plays fail the majority of the time. Baseball, Football, Basketball are all more sophisticated than soccer could ever hope to be. Good God you can't even use all four limbs. Its only value in the US is to teach youngsters coordination so they can play a real sport later.

Only in North America.

and thats what counts.

Joe looking forward to seeing this young man. D-Mac, won of America's best college football players.

If only soccer had somebody this fast, it might be more interesting

Try Thiery Henry.

And not one American sport has a moment like the World Cup. It's the type of event only football can generate.

Hell, its slow and boring, no scoring.

Slow? You can't judge worldwide's football just by watching USA's football, Joe. You have a football that can't be compared to Europe or South America. In United States, the first division is techically as the second or third division of countries like Italy, Spain, France, England, Germany...if you say football is ALWAYS slow then you'v never watched any Brazilian player, or even African players.

Every continent (and more specifically, every country) has its own style of playing. In South America (expecially Brazil) football is fast and spectacular, and the score a lot more than Europe, as their most important aspect of the game is to have fun, and makepeople having fun too.

In Europe is different, its more technical, and they don't score a lot because there are great defensive players and goalkeepers (while in Brazil the best are strikers). We tend to think an action before playing, we study the opponent, and the results may end up being a match without goals, which doesn't mean that match sucked. You can have a 0-0 match more spectacular than a match with a couple of goals.

But calling it a slow sport is stupid.

soccer is simple you run and kick a ball

Basketball is just running and throwing a ball into a basket, in Athletics, people just...run, in swimming they just swim, but I never heard anyone calling these sports stupid just because they're simple. Most sports are simple.

rarely getting it into a net, so called plays fail the majority of the time.

See? You're damn incoherent. Just few sentences above you said "football doesn't have to be a high scoring game to be exciting". That's the same for what you call "soccer".

And about failing. In basketball, does players score every shot they attempt? No, the players that shots the most in a game alost always end up having less of 50% of scoring percentage.

In football it can happens that in a match a player (or a team) try 2 shots and score 2 goals. There's no general rule, as every other sport.

But the real point is, don't judge this sport only by watching your players, that sucks.

It's incorrect as much as a Japanese guy that says that NBA is slow and not spectacular, just because he only watches Japanese basketball... :|