Hidden themes

I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning but I've noticed that a lot of times in the more filler like segments, sometimes in the background you'll hear something that sounds like a theme from another williams piece.

Like, there was something in Episode I that was very much a partial theme from Munich I think it was... I'll have to find it again...

And even the beginning of a track from "Goodbye Mr. Chips" sounds like Memoirs of a Geisha...

Disk 2, Track 7... Pompeii (alt.) first few seconds

Even in "Escape from Naboo" in Episode I, there is a similar sound to the main title from Towering Inferno... I didn't really make the connection until I did the complete version edit which has more percussion in the mix near the end of the track....

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even in "Escape from Naboo" in Episode I, there is a similar sound to the main title from Towering Inferno... I didn't really make the connection until I did the complete version edit which has more percussion in the mix near the end of the track....

Mmm you may have mixxed two version of escape from naboo.

There are two recordings of escape from naboo:

TPM (and ROTS version, sadly) without drums in most of its length

Alternate version with drums throughout the cue.

Nobody has mentioned what KM found: Death of Yoda contains Dark side beckons.

Also in this same vein, i think that in 'Shuttle Tydirium approaches Endor' at 3:15 to 3:20 it sounds similar to mos espa folk song...

Uh yeah....... :mrgreen:

That damn 5 seconds of music.

I think we're going off of the subject with Williams' style being recognized not hidden themes.

Also in this same vein, i think that in 'Shuttle Tydirium approaches Endor' at 3:15 to 3:20 it sounds similar to mos espa folk song...

Uh yeah....... :mrgreen:

That damn 5 seconds of music.

I think we're going off of the subject with Williams' style being recognized not hidden themes.

i meant this as just similar purely coincidentical without any connection...

I just noticed that there is a Nazi March played by brass section in Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra from 1:23 to 1:28 on the soundtrack.

Has anyone else notice that?

I just noticed that there is a Nazi March played by brass section in Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra from 1:23 to 1:28 on the soundtrack.  

Has anyone else notice that?

Yes, that one was a bit more obvious.

Another is Princess Leia's theme appearing in a couple pieces:

1) the concert version of "Han Solo and the Princess"

2) measures 5 and 6 of the flute intro to "Luke and Leia" features a modified statement of Leia's theme that is rhythmically the same, but the notes are slightly different.

Here's a few more -

-The source music as Qui-Gon confronts Watto after the pod race seems to be rather "Anakin's Theme"-esque

-The unreleased cue that plays when Anakin and Padme see Watto again in Ep 2 sounds like an oblique quote of Qui-Gon's theme to me

-Everyone knows this, but a quote from Psycho is "hidden" in the score to Ep 4

- Luke's Theme (Main SW Theme) is heard twice in TPM - once when Qui-Gon leaps onto the Queen's ship after fighting Maul and again in the Hangar Battle at the end on Naboo

-i don't think it's intentional, but on the Superman The Movie cd during the opening trial of Zod, a solo clarinet plays the Force theme, only the last note goes up to the note instead of down - this section was dialed out in the movie, IIRC

- Luke's Theme (Main SW Theme) is heard twice in TPM - once when Qui-Gon leaps onto the Queen's ship after fighting Maul and again in the Hangar Battle at the end on Naboo

Isnt it also inside the trade federation ship, when qui gon and obi wan are fighting the droids?

2) measures 5 and 6 of the flute intro to "Luke and Leia" features a modified statement of Leia's theme that is rhythmically the same, but the notes are slightly different.

Also, Princess Leia's theme (or is it just notes that sound like her theme?) in The Battle of Hoth.

There was an earlier thread where people tried to figure out if the main theme from "Into the Trap" was hidden in "Approaching The Death Star" and "Faking The Code". I don't know if anyone came to any definitive conclusions, but it's a good excuse to listen to the ROTJ soundtrack again.

Also—and this isn't as much as "hidden" as it is "blatant"—the music played in TESB when Vader talks to the Emperor* is pretty close to SW's "The Last Battle" (about 2 minutes in and playing for about 40 seconds).

* "Han Solo And The Princess" about 2:30 into the track

Nobody has mentioned what KM found: Death of Yoda contains Dark side beckons.

Oh God did I really? I was going by the editing information in the other thread ..--damn it-- The drum part I was talking about was at the very end. with the strings and percussion. I don't remember hearing that in ROTS but if they added the drums to the whole thing then I guess that's where it's from...

Eaither way it reminded me of Towering Inferno in it's... furiosity... and echoing drums...

Luke's Theme (Main SW Theme) is heard twice in TPM - once when Qui-Gon leaps onto the Queen's ship after fighting Maul and again in the Hangar Battle at the end on Naboo

What I like about the Qui-Gon vs. Maul scene is that, briefly after Williams quotes Luke's Theme, he subtly quotes Vader's Theme (TPM UE: Disc 2, "Qui-Gon and Darth Maul Meet," 1:06-1:10).

Oh God did I really? I was going by the editing information in the other thread ..--damn it-- The drum part I was talking about was at the very end. with the strings and percussion. I don't remember hearing that in ROTS but if they added the drums to the whole thing then I guess that's where it's from...

Eaither way it reminded me of Towering Inferno in it's... furiosity... and echoing drums...

Well, i checked the list on the other thread and the two versions are mixed, i think, ask cerrabore, he knows better. But none has drum overdubs like rots. They are different recordings. The drum version i was told to be the first version recorded, and then they decided the drums were too much and recorded it again (this is the version heard in the movie)

Analysis of Luke and Leia suggests a possible relation to the SW Main Theme.

SW Main Theme:

[5th-5th-5th]-[tonic]-[5th(8va)]-[4th]-[3rd]-[2nd]-[tonic(8va)]-[5th]

Luke and Leia:

[5th]-[tonic]-[5th(8va)]-[4th]-[3rd], [5th]-[tonic]-[5th(8va)]-[4th]-[3rd]-[2nd]-[tonic(loco)]-[3rd]....

Anyone else happen to pick up on this?

Kudos to you, KingPin! Wonderful observation! I'm completely convinced it was conscious on the maestro's part. :mrgreen:

I think JW is a more careful theme writer then we give him credit. He says he spends alot of time writing the themes and then the music just flows like as fast as he can write. He propably spends a great deal of time trying to get into the listener/viewers subconsiouse.

We need a spell check feature.

kingpin does luke and leia have any relation like that with Leia's theme or han solo and the princess? Would make sense...

As far as a distinct musical connection between "Luke and Leia" and "Han Solo and the Princess" is concerned, I haven't yet stumbled upon one. Since they express two very different relationships, I personally wouldn't have necessarily expected all that much of a connection. I'll keep looking into it...

Isnt it also inside the trade federation ship, when qui gon and obi wan are fighting the droids?

Yes. And the B theme appears in "Anakin Is Free."

Well, i checked the list on the other thread and the two versions are mixed, i think, ask cerrabore, he knows better. But none has drum overdubs like rots. They are different recordings. The drum version i was told to be the first version recorded, and then they decided the drums were too much and recorded it again (this is the version heard in the movie)

Yes, that's pretty much it.

I don't know the exact source, but I'm pretty sure it's a reference to the Imperial March.

Yes, it's definitely the imperial march. It lasts for a few seconds in the Naboo battle (not in the movie or any soundtrack). I noticed that when I listened to the 'complete' score that was assembled from video game music/etc and thought it was awesome.

Thanks,

~Sky

kingpin does luke and leia have any relation like that with Leia's theme or han solo and the princess? Would make sense...

As far as a distinct musical connection between "Luke and Leia" and "Han Solo and the Princess" is concerned, I haven't yet stumbled upon one. Since they express two very different relationships, I personally wouldn't have necessarily expected all that much of a connection. I'll keep looking into it...

There doens need to be a Han solo-princess connection now. If Leia's is, it perfect :pukeface:

I just suggested than in case williams thought as an evolution princess leia->han solo and the princess->luke and leia.

In battle Over coruscant there is some music resemblind 'the arena' just before the scene with the buzz droids.

And i think the main title segue fanfare is a 'fanfare version' of the music that should play at that moment from the familiar SW main title.

Yes, it sounds very much like a fully-orchestrated version of the little flute motif after the main scroll in Episode IV.

Hello everyone!

I would just like to point out that most of the themes from Williams' Harry Potter scores are actually based on Hedwig's theme. Some examples are: Errol's theme, Lockhart's theme, Voldemort's theme, the theme for the Chamber of Secrets and "Double Trouble".

I swear there are times I hear the motif that plays after Yoda's death, during the Final Duel, and in track 2 of RotS, in Attack of the Sand People. The low strings playing under the force theme as we first meet Obi-Wan.

I don't think I ever realized that Errol had a theme.  Where is it on the OST?

Tim

It's less a theme and more just a little motif, and of course it's not on the OST. It's in both the scenes where Errol takes one for our comic amusement, and it is a nice comic send-up of Hedwig's Theme.

Is hedwigs theme more of a general harry potter mysterioso theme then a specific owl's theme?

That's what I always thought. It's generally believed to be the one of the stranger misnomers, in terms of Williams themes. It's often used during establishing shots of the Hogwarts castle as well. Oddly, in the first film, when the focus is on Hegwig during the changing of seasons (fall to winter) Williams used the old "Family" theme during this transition.

Tim

This thread seems to be focusing more on 'Williams Sounding Like Williams" rather than Hidden themes, such as Jabba, or the Wedding March in the Terminal. Although I would like to say that the music that plays for Boba Fett during the Sail Barge Assault does have a striking resemblence to the Kamino music.

That's what I always thought.  It's generally believed to be the one of the stranger misnomers, in terms of Williams themes.  It's often used during establishing shots of the Hogwarts castle as well.  Oddly, in the first film, when the focus is on Hegwig during the changing of seasons (fall to winter) Williams used the old "Family" theme during this transition.

Hedwig's Theme was written before the film was even completed. It's originally trailer music for a large part. Williams has said his inspirations for the theme were the owls in the books, and how they bring magical messages to everyone. Like the owls, the music is to bring the first message of magic to the audience. Hence, Hedwig's Theme.

Notice, though, that Patrick Doyle, apart from employing Hedwig's Theme in the title sequences to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, uses the theme exclusively for scenes with owls.

Hence the term "misnomer", as it is incorrectly titled. I'm sure most people, at this point, realize that the theme represents a larger magical field than just Hedwig.

Tim

This thread seems to be focusing more on 'Williams Sounding Like Williams" rather than Hidden themes, such as Jabba, or the Wedding March in the Terminal. Although I would like to say that the music that plays for Boba Fett during the Sail Barge Assault does have a striking resemblence to the Kamino music.

Sail barge assault or Bespin?

Blumenkhol, at least, Yoda's death and Dark side beckons are connceted musically i think.

I just wanted to emphasize that I didn't mean to address "Williams sounding like Williams" in pointing out that a surprising amount of themes from the Harry Potter films are based on "Hedwig's Theme", but rather to compositional and structural integrity, meaning it was planned and designed this way by Williams.

Also, Errol's theme (which is a theme, not a motif), can be heard on CoS OST, track 1, ca.1'23''.

I don't think that's Errol's theme on track 1, if anything it would be Ron's, and that theme can also be heard in the first movie, when they put the sorting hat on Ron if memory serves. Errol's theme can first be heard when he arrives at the burrow and sounds a lot like Hedwig's theme.

It is the same, actually, but with minor rhythmic alterations, making it resemble Hedwig's theme even more. But you are right, the theme I pointed out is more of a "Weasley's theme". And there is an additional slight "herald" right when Errol comes flying, before the theme I refer to is heard.

I have heard that there is a Psycho inspired moment in Hook, right when the Captain is about to die.

I haven't noticed that in Hook. (But it gives me an excuse to watch the film again!)

And this doesn't have anything to do with Williams, but since we're on the topic of Psycho references, Bernard Herrmann himself hid the 3-note Psycho motif in his score to Taxi Driver. Makes sense to use it there (and he avoids copyright infringement).