Performing SOS!!!

Ok I have a piano recital tuesday and I am barely prepared. Well I am prepared and I have my piece memorized and everything but I lost a month of preparing because I was preparing for a scholarship but since I lost that month I am not as confident in it and then when I play it I get really nervous which normally I dont so does anyone have any tips to help. Btw I'm performing Across the Stars.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let yourself fall into the piece. Do not be concerned as much with the tempo and what people are thinking, hear what you play and just feel the music. Imagine John Williams conducting the piece, and try to make it sound like that. I have played this piece in recital as well (and will be in two weeks in NYC), and it is the kind of work which just has to flow. Bring out the emotions in the film through the melody. And have fun with it! Good luck...

Robert

Robert Summers Potterton III S.P.C.

www.rsp3.com

My best piece of advice, get into a zone. Completely block out any noise or images with the exception of the piano, yet relax at the same time, don't stiffen up your fingers, and make sure that before the recital you warm up your fingers with simple scales, and other exercises. Its worked everytime for me so far.

"I never thought it was humanly possible, but this both sucks and blows."

Are you still practicing? Just be sure that you're going to pull it off, and you'll be fine. Don't let the nerves in. And to make sure you absolutely have it memorized in your fingers, keep practicing, even if you can already play it.

Well I am prepared and I have my piece memorized and everything

Oh, I remember when I could memorise pieces. How far those days have gone. I'm like an old man with a (rocket) walking stick with my sheet music. With is, I can go leaps and bounds. Without it I fall flat.

Ok i just got back, everyone said I did very well...i thought i sucked! Ok for future people who may be looking to this thread for advice the only thing that I realized a little to late while I was playing was Do NOT focus on your nerves focus on getting into the piece what ever it is you are playing and just let it flow.

No its not gonna be in stores but the father of my teacher (who ran the recital) recorded it and is sending it to be made into dvd's and vhs. Maybe if I can I'll post it on you tube or something.