The Joys of Rediscovery

There are few things I enjoy more in music listening than rediscovering a favorite cue or score that I had taken a break from after it had grown stale. I remember last spring ('05) I rediscovered Superman after along layoff, and hardly stopped listening to it for weeks. I'm still in a little bit of that mood for it even today.

But the main reason this is on my mind is because it's just happened again, with Jerry Goldsmith's greatest materpiece, Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Always one of my favorites, but I was concentrating much more the last couple of years on Goldsmith's other Treks, which were still new to me, and I just wasn't enjoing TMP as much anymore. Then, on a whim, I popped in the Director's Edition DVD the other day and watched it. Enjoyed the film as always (still amazed how much better it is with a proper sound mix, finished effects, and especially much more polished editing), but the thing that had my attention the most time and time again was Jerry's score. I could hardly wait to get it into my CD player again and just absorb every single note.

Rediscovery. I love it. It's almost like it's brand new again. :mrgreen:

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreement. I used to listen to Last Crusade all the time. Then, it went on hiatus. But not too long ago I popped it back in and it just blew my mind (again). Truly an amazing piece of work, especially the action cues. And that Grail theme...goosebumps every time.

I have been rediscovering a whole bunch of gems recently. I have not had the money to purchase these new releases that I would like to get (i.e. anything released for the past 6 months), so I have been going through and listening to the scores that I heard only a few times, and shelved. Some of the best rediscoveries, for me, have been:

Land Before Time

Bad Girls

Fury, The (What a great score)

Cure, The

Titus

Ever After

Wide Awake

Paycheck

Quigley Down Under

and

Life is Beautiful

I've done the same thing before John, so you're not alone. ;)

There've been times where I go on hiatus with certain scores and not listen them for several months then I'll suddenly feel like listening to them and be all, "Damn I've forgotten how good this was".

I can't wait to buy some more scores this fall and re-discover some of the ones I used to have but never made it up to Utah with me. :P

:mrgreen:

Edit: My very first score I bought was Star Trek III and that is one I definitely can not wait to re-buy and listen to again.

Happens to me all the time - due to the growth of my collection in just 3 years. So many different styles that entire groups of scores can go ignored for a long time and I suddenly rediscover them when I'm in the right mood.

Just proves how diverse this amazing genre is :mrgreen:

I just listened to Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da for the first time in years (and I mean years). It's great to hear all the little details I forgot or never even noticed.

- Marc, on a Beatles streak.

BRAVEHEART is recently one for me. I never bought the soundtrack, but I've heard it a few times... then I heard it playing at a friend's house yesterday and was like, "I gotta buy that NOW!" That main string melody is amazing.

That main string melody is amazing.

Then you can also go out and buy Bicentennial Man and The Missing, the string theme is in both of those scores too.

Oh really? :| Well, I guess Horner knows when he's got something good...

I agree with you, John.

I think that's the good part in having a lot of CDs. You can't know all of them perfectly, there's always something hidden somewhere, to be (re)discovered.

Or just (pretty much like Marc said) re-listen to what we already know, just to re-joy them or notice other stuff.