The Best Scores No One's Ever Heard

BLUMENKOHL

In this thread you post all the scores you believe are great, but most people have probably never heard them because they just werent that popular, weren't marketed right, from the archaic ages of Hollywood, were latched on to poor performing films, etc. etc.

I'll have to think about this for a bit...

But off the top of my head....

1. Thirteen Days (Trevor Jones)

One of the best drama/thriller scores ever written, for an equally compelling movie about the Cuban Missile Crisis. The theme presented in the first track is truly beautiful, and the suspense and action material is amazing, and never boring. Unfortunately, I know of very few who've actually heard this score.

2. The Gospel of John (Jeff Danna)

The same year that Passion came out, came out this movie and score, and Jeff Danna's effort is truly mezmerizing, it captures the feel of the time period it's set in and still has that modern touch. If only Danna did more of this kind of work, than Resident Evil and Silent Hill and horror etc.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tourist Trap by Pino Donaggio, a really creepy score to a forgotten, but creepy little movie. Goldsmith & Williams wasn't the only 2 to have their gold period during the late 70's and early 80's.

Oh, I never expected Joe to post on this thread. :mrgreen:

I'll recommend "Avalon" by Kenji Kawaii. Apart from typical Kawai electronic sounds and synthesized stuff, there are some nice choral passages and an oniric climatic piece for orchestra, soprano and choir, "Voyage to Avalon". Really beautiful.

why would you say that Peio, I'm actually puzzled by your remarks.

I suppose I've idealized you as someone reluctant to hear more alternative works. But hey, Donaggio is a good one. Never heard "Tourist Trap". I'll give it a listen :mrgreen:

I've heard more scores than most of the people here. There are advantages to being the oldest member on the board.

I don't live and die by my childhood nearly as much as you might think. And you ignorantly think I reject most of the stuff being done today, why don't you post something that pertains to the thread, instead of attacking me with your ignorance.

Joe, who listened to his favorite score of 2005, today, by James Horner.

1. Thirteen Days (Trevor Jones)

One of the best drama/thriller scores ever written, for an equally compelling movie about the Cuban Missile Crisis.  The theme presented in the first track is truly beautiful, and the suspense and action material is amazing, and never boring.   Unfortunately, I know of very few who've actually heard this score.

I agree. Thirteen Days is a wonderful score and very engaging from the beginning to the end.

Another favourite of mine is Skycaptain and the World of Tomorrow by Edward Shearmur. A very entertaining thematic adventure score with old fashioned spirit.

Joe, who listened to his favorite score of 2005, today, by James Horner.

So, you werent frig**' sarcastic in the other thread.

Very dissapointing, pal.

About this thread...can it be videogames?

Jurassic Park Operation Genesis has a very wonderful orchestral score. It has never been spoken about here.

If we are including video games, all the Myst games (Mysts I and II for their synthesised creepiness, Mysts III, IV and V for their outstanding orchestral cues) are definitely worth a listen.

I would go so far as to say that Gehn's theme (Myst II) and the End Credits from Myst III are among the best game music ever.

Airport 77 has cool "Williamesque" End Credits,I even recorded them off the TV.I've never seen a score album of this.

K.M.

The Tailor of Panama.

I don't remember the music, but I remember liking it.

Here's a great one: The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down A Mountain, by Stephen Endelman.

I add It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World by Ernest Gold.

However it was even Academy Award nominated, I believe it is soooooooo underrated nowadays. A great score

Airport 77 has cool "Williamesque"  End Credits,I even recorded them off the TV.I've never seen a score album of this.

K.M.

I have the record of it.

as for you Luke, what the hell are you now talking about.

Why is everyone pissing on Joe in this thread? :?

But my choices: Nostromo by Ennio Morricone and Watership Down (television series) by Mike Batt.

Because The Silver Of Mine track from that soundtrack is possibly the best thing nobody's ever heard?

Why did I knew you were gonna say something about me mentioning the Nostromo soundtrack again? :)

David Newman's Galaxy Quest is a wonderfully fun score that was never released officialy, although there's a complete (I think) promo floating around if you know where to look.

Dennis McCarthy's final cue from the Enterprise finale combining all the major Trek themes needs to be released.

David Newman's Galaxy Quest is a wonderfully fun score that was never released officialy, although there's a complete (I think) promo floating around if you know where to look.

Dennis McCarthy's final cue from the Enterprise finale combining all the major Trek themes needs to be released.

I agree on both counts!

You mentioned in other thread that your Favorite score from 2005 was The Legend of Zorro, I asked if you were sacastic, and one person said that of course it was obvious that you were.

With your reply yesterday i just saw that you were not joking.

And I cannot believe anyone who considers himself a John Williams fan or enthusiast, can think Legend of Zorro, mostly a rehash of old material, a little danger motif, some action cue resembling ROTS, be better than Memoirs of a Geisha, for example.

You may be dissapointed with Williams last output, you think its derivative and rehased, but since that is the definiton of James Horner music, i cannot believe you looking for 'relief' in another composer who suffers greatly the same illness you think Williams has.

PS: even if it is another score by James horner from 2005, the argument is still valid.

Since some people are mentionning TV scores...

The Bionic Woman ,Pilot episode(aired as Six Million Dollar Man episode)

K.M.

Not sure if no one's ever heard it, but Shirley Walker's score for Batman Mask of the Phantasm is quite good, and since it's a score for a mostly unknown animated movie (still the best Batman movie IMO though) I'm guessing a lot of people haven't heard it.

You mentioned in other thread that your Favorite score from 2005 was The Legend of Zorro, I asked if you were sacastic, and one person said that of course it was obvious that you were.

With your reply yesterday i just saw that you were not joking.

And I cannot believe anyone who considers himself a John Williams fan or enthusiast, can think Legend of Zorro, mostly a rehash of old material, a little danger motif, some action cue resembling ROTS, be better than Memoirs of a Geisha, for example.

You may be dissapointed with Williams last output, you think its derivative and rehased, but since that is the definiton of James Horner music, i cannot believe you looking for 'relief' in another composer who suffers greatly the same illness you think Williams has.

PS: even if it is another score by James horner from 2005, the argument is still valid.

BULLSHIT LUKE,

the ever present hatred of Horner gets old. He's better than Jwfan's lovechild Giacchino will ever be. He has his signature moments, but he steals from himself no more than did Goldsmith, or even John, whose whole ROTS score is nothing more than Star Wars Redux, with one new and very overrated theme.

Airport and Airport 75 are worth mentioning because I doubt many here have heard them. I'd include Airport 79, but I can't remember the score.

BULLSHIT LUKE,

the ever present hatred of Horner gets old.  He's better than Jwfan's lovechild Giacchino will ever be.  He has his signature moments, but he steals from himself no more than did Goldsmith, or even John, whose whole ROTS score is nothing more than Star Wars Redux, with one new and very overrated theme.

I think the sound of Star Wars is pretty unique to Star Wars.

And I can count at least three new themes in RotS off the top of my head.

I'd include Airport 79, but I can't remember the score.

If the title is "The Concorde: Airport 79" then the original composer for the music is Lalo Schifrin. Just looked it up on IMDB.

By the way guys quit jumpin' on Joe here. Let's get back to what this thread is about please. All this 5th grade childishness most of you are displaying towards Joe is stupid.

Edit: Oops my mistake you said you couldn't remember the score not the composer. Should have read it a bit more clearly, sorry.

Joe; I agree that the Horner-stealing-from-himself-all-the-time belief is quite lame.

I do not agree that ROTS is as "shitty" as you believe it is.

I didn't mean to "jump on Joe," btw. I apologize if it came across as such.

As for The Legend of Zorro, I can't judge it, because I haven't heard it. But The Train sounds like a cue I should check out.

I checked out The Legend Of Zorro in Mp3 form a couple of months ago and I thought it was a very good score. It is one I've added to my 'to get' list of scores.

For the record there are quite a few of scores from Horner I like a lot.

Joe; I agree that the Horner-stealing-from-himself-all-the-time belief is quite lame.  

I do not agree that ROTS is as "shitty" as you believe it is.

I don't realy think ROTS is shitty, afterall the best parts of it are from Star Wars itself, which reign supreme among the 6 scores.

Exodus is a really good score, people should check it out, its one of the few pieces I was actually excited to learning to play growing up.

This is all very silly. Just because Joe likes Horner?!?!?!?!?

For me, I put on the table:

The Little Drummer Girl by David Grusin.

I don't know of any actuall release of this music other than the two tracks on "Cinemagic". While "PLO Camp Entrance" is an ok track, that tends to get annoying, the track "Epilogue" is a very moving and nice piece of music.

Way Of The Gun - By Joe Kramer.

It's a shame this never found a release other than an Academy Promo, because it is a great listen.

But I think my favorite of this group has to be this:

15 Minutes - by Anthony Marianelli (Don't think it's a relation to Dario)

This has got the craziest main titles, and is just a fun FUN score. Again, it's a shame it never got a legit release besides an Academy Promo cd.

May I add Arsène Lupin by Debbie Wiseman...great gothic score for a French film by a British composer.

Also On the Beach by Christopher Gordon. I believe it was for an Australian TV film

Tim

With the previous TV mentions I'll add, in my opinion, Christophe Beck's best work from his very successful time on Buffy: season 2's Innocence and Becoming (parts 1 and 2). There is a promo out there of Beck's Buffy music, but it's all from season 3.

Some releases from the later Dominion War years of DS9 would be really good too.

If the new Trek movie does happen besides an OST from that, don't count on any more music from Trek being released. I think releases for future Trek music isn't gonna happen. Paraborg is too greedy and really hates having a lot of Trek related stuff released.

Exodus is a really good score' date=' people should check it out, its one of the few pieces I was actually excited to learning to play growing up.[/quote']

Yes it is. But is it really such a unkown score? It won an oscar in a particular amazing year (Spartacus, The Magnificent Seven, The Alamo) and the main theme was featured on Williams' oscar suite.

AS for Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, I agree 100% (except for the fact it's the best batman movie: it is great, but I stand with BB). I'll add that all of Walker's work in the animated series is top notch. The leitmotif aproach is very very interesting.

BULLSHIT LUKE,

the ever present hatred of Horner gets old.  He's better than Jwfan's lovechild Giacchino will ever be.  He has his signature moments, but he steals from himself no more than did Goldsmith, or even John, whose whole ROTS score is nothing more than Star Wars Redux, with one new and very overrated theme.

Thanks remembering me that you are allowed to have an ever present hatred of Giacchino. Or Lucas.

But anyway, if you think Horner writes original music (you mentioned stealing from himself, but what about doing it from others? that's the bad thing) as Goldsmith or Williams, im not going to argue.

I think that, though I've seen it discussed here, The Shadow certainly has not had the widespread appreciation that I think it deserves.

~Conor

I agree, but the presentation of the Arista album is pretty poor. And as for Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, it's not bad, but the choral work makes my ears bleed.

Kamen's The Iron Giant

For a film that did well I'm suprised Horner's score to Cocoon doesn't get a lot of talk. It is a very beautiful and moving score.