Steinberg HALion Symphonic Orchestra

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to some of their demos, and I think that if you are just starting out, it's great! However, I've been getting a lot of practice in with Gigastudio and my hodgepodge sample library, so I think I'm going to go for something a bit pricier but a little more "natural" sounding. Probably VSL Horizon or something.

Sure thing. But Gigastudio doesn't have samples (actually it has 2 or 3 complimentary samples) it's just a sequencer. The samples I have just come from all over, but I'd be happy to send you some stuff I've done. PM me your email address!

I will agree with you though. It definately does blow away the competition in its own price range. I've just grown a little beyond that and need to start considering carefully, my next purchases in giga.

I am intrigued about this as well. I've been using EWQL Symphony Orchestra for the last couple years and I love it, but I am ready for a change.

I noticed the new Halion has an academic version that is about half the cost as the regular. Anyone know if there is any difference?

I am intrigued about this as well. I've been using EWQL Symphony Orchestra for the last couple years and I love it, but I am ready for a change.  

I noticed the new Halion has an academic version that is about half the cost as the regular. Anyone know if there is any difference?

Which one are you using? Silver, Gold or Platinum? If you are using the basic versions, there are always the Pro XP versions that add more sounds. I have both Silver and Gold Pro XP and like them a lot. I also have HALion Strings (ver 1) and never use them because I find HALion buggy on my PCs.

Then again, I've mostly been writing using Notion these days. The samples aren't perfectly real but I like not having to search for ideal samples for hours on end and just stick with composing.

Which one are you using? Silver, Gold or Platinum? If you are using the basic versions, there are always the Pro XP versions that add more sounds. I have both Silver and Gold Pro XP and like them a lot.

I have only the silver edition unfortunately. Is the gold that much better? I don't think I have the money or the CPU (more like CPUs) to handle platinum.

Then again, I've mostly been writing using Notion these days.  The samples aren't perfectly real but I like not having to search for ideal samples for hours on end and just stick with composing.

I hear ya... I find myself using my Reason 2.5 to compose most of the time. No loading time and almost no crashing. I usually only use EWQLSO if I am preparing a near-final draft.

Which one are you using? Silver, Gold or Platinum? If you are using the basic versions, there are always the Pro XP versions that add more sounds. I have both Silver and Gold Pro XP and like them a lot.

I have only the silver edition unfortunately. Is the gold that much better? I don't think I have the money or the CPU (more like CPUs) to handle platinum.

Gold XP Pro I do find much better to be honest. While it is harder on the CPU and memory (I have 1.5 gigs of RAM in my PC and 1.25 gigs of ram in my MacBook) the sound quality is much better.

I do like the sound of the HALion string samples in the Symphonic Edition at least for tight arco but don't like the winds nor brass all that much based on the demos online.

Sure thing.  But Gigastudio doesn't have samples (actually it has 2 or 3 complimentary samples) it's just a sequencer.  The samples I have just come from all over, but I'd be happy to send you some stuff I've done.  PM me your email address!

I will agree with you though.  It definately does blow away the competition in its own price range.  I've just grown a little beyond that and need to start considering carefully, my next purchases in giga.

Actually, GigaStudio is a sampler, not a sequencer. Cubase, Logic, Sonar etc. are sequencers. GigaStudio "just" plays samples. But it works so great I still use it on 4 machines:)

John Williams and I think that this is still the best and cheapest way to create music....

To write music, yes. But if you actually want to *create* the music, you won't get much more than some basic percussion functionality out of that device.

:angry: Hook