James Horner

Morn

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horner USED to be absolutely incredible.

His Glory score is gorgeous. His Rocketeer theme is incredibly exciting. His Willow is very adventurous and sometimes chilling. His Apollo 13 theme is subtley heroic.

However, with the good comes the bad.

Examples:

His "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids," score includes a LOT of Goonies inspired music.

The storm theme from "Perfect Storm" is the EXACT same theme for that skull dude from Willow.

He goes kinda overboard with copying his Braveheart score.

If you've heard Enya's Book of Days, then you hear Titanic, you'd be prone to think, "Hey, Enya did the soundtrack! Neat!"

He was incredible. I'm just disappointed in him. I hope he decides that he should start being original.

I love Bicentennial Man, though...it's very light and airy. I like it.

Dan - wondering what Windtalkers will be like.

:roll:

:music: "A Goodbye to Friends" from The Legend Of 1900 (Morricone)

Yes, I know -- that's what I'm fearing. But I'll still buy it and listen to it.

Dan - who had a dream/nightmare where Horner triumphed in a bad way

:music: "Main Title" from The Cowboys

Producers rejected Johnny's score and used Horner's!!

Dan - who "heard" both scores and like Horner's better, believe it or not, but still ---- it's the principle of the matter

:music: "Wild Horses" from The Cowboys

I have heard very little of Horner's work. But of what I heard, I haven't been really too impressed with. His music just doesn't seem to go anywhere. But perhaps I am making an opinion without hearing enough of his stuff.

-Jason

Eh? I thought Zimmer was doing Windtalkers!

Horner, eh? Should be interesting...what are the chances we'll hear a bagpipe?

LOL!

The movie was delayed because of post-Sept. 11th concerns of violent films.

Dan - who doesn't really care for Nicolas Cage, but likes some of John Woo's work.

:music: Episode I (DVD playing in the b.g.)

Windtalkers, do you like Braveheart? If so, you'll just love this one! :sarcasm:

Morn - Who thinks Horner is very talented and just lazy

Morn - Who thinks Horner is very talented and just lazy

I agree with you Morn. That really is the problem with Horner.

Brainstorm and Wrath of Khan were masterpieces. But later on

he got scared of experimenting like he did in his earlier scores.

Braveheart was a return to good form. His early scores made full

use of orchestra. I agree that he is full of potential. But for some

reason he chooses not to experiment as much as he used to.

My favorite Horner scores are:

Battle Beyond the Stars

Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek III - The Search for Spock

Brainstorm

Krull

Aliens

Willow

The Rocketeer

I find everything else to be too derivative. Even these scores sound a lot a like in instances, and sometimes it's clearly not even music by Horner. :(

Neil

I have no idea what possesed me to get the Enemy at the Gates soundtrack, but I regret it every time a track pops up on iTunes. I didn't even consider getting A Beautiful Mind.

I've heard some parts of Iris that sound good, can anyone comment on that score?

Neej- who thinks Horner will have to be very creative for him to even think about Windtalkers

I don't have Iris. But A Beautiful Mind has a great (but simple) theme and a few other nice parts. I don't think it's worth buying though.

Iris was much better than A Beautiful Mind, I thought. The latter isn't really worth getting, unless you're die hard collector (like me). I initially loved Enemy At The Gates until I discovered the horrendous variation. But the orchestrations are masterful, I think.

Dan - who heard the main theme to Enemy At The Gates years before...........in Apollo 13 (not to mention Schindler's List)

Really?

I almost bought it so many times on eBay but then either lost it or decided against it.

Dan - who's definitely getting it now so he can be annoyed all over again

Dan - who heard the main theme to Enemy At The Gates years before...........in Apollo 13 (not to mention Schindler's List)

I noticed this some in the theater, but I had know idea how prominent it was in the score until I had it on disc.

I guess I'll pick-up Iris some time, but I'm not in any hurry.

Yeah, there are some "Horner elements" as I call them, but, over all, it's a delightful score with nice solos by the incredibly-talented Joshua Bell.

If it weren't for the fact that Kate Winslet is trying hard to be a subdued diva for the end track, I'd say the score was as good as the film.

But, c'mon ---- it's Horner.

Dan - knowing that's hardly possible these days.

Yeah that Schindler-esque melody comes up in one track in Balto, and also one in Titanic. It admit it's rather distracting. I wish he wouldn't do that. By the way, Balto is a superb score (make sure to check it out) and I think everybody already knows how good Titanic is. :-)

You'll never beat me!!!

As you see, we couldn't have a new board and not talk about our favorite composer

and this "other" guy! :)

Hehehe. Just kidding. 8O

~Harry

Ha! I notice you guys talk about him a lot. You just can't get enough! I understand, believe me, I do. By the way...it sucks not having a JHfan.net! The Horner Shrine message board scares me so I guess I'll just have to hang around here once in a while.

I was just kidding because several people here have commented on how strange they are. In reality, there are definitely some strange people there, but also some intelligent ones. But not much posting goes on there. :cry: The site is kinda dead. I think the owner died or something.

Well I'm going to bed..goodnight!!

Concerning A Beautiful Mind: I thought it to be a major disappointment. It was nominated for Best ORIGINAL Score and there's that same motif that he's used ad naseum since Aliens (and probably long before that). And the best part is: it's lifted from the Adagio from The Gayne Ballet Suite by Aram Khatchaturian which was featured in 2001 - A Space Odyssey.

Uh, that was public domain back then (in the mid eighties), but when the Iron Curtain fell, copyright protection was established for all of the items subject to copyright protection (works less than 75 years old-- I worked at a classical radio station at the time and we had to start paying for playing those pieces).

Bruckhorn, who loves Horner's music through The Rocketeer, but after that... yeah I have it, but how often do I listen to it?

I still think Horner is very talented, he's just so freakin' lazy and full of crap, poor guy.

Dan - whose never been to the HornerShrine and finds the mere name of that place just plain "weird" and "icky"

I think the page layout of the Horner shrine does not help at all

Its not user friendly or appealing to have everything squeezed into boxes.

It needs a big layout like this one to attract people to post on it.

I hardly ever visit it because its so semi alive. This place is always active.

And all three of those scores came after Schindler.

Which was composed after Mahler's 8th Symphony.

How does the Hornershrine scare you? Are they weird over there?

VERY! read this quote from it

"The thing is my friend started coming here like 7 months ago.He liked it he only talked about it a bit, but then more, and more!That woz when itb happend he had a nerous brake down! He woz on the floor cring saying to me and my two friends "you don't even come close to my horner shrine friends!" We went mad with his because we've known him for ten years.

Now he go's round all by him self, talking to him self like a sad, pethetic,loney, Loser! My friends don't like him but i feel sorry for him! And you really need to talk to him tell him it's just a little bit of fun and he can't pick you over us!

Plz once more"

In reality, there are definitely some strange people there, but also some intelligent ones.

Hehe, intelligent people are frequently strange :mrgreen:

I think the page layout of the Horner shrine does not help at all  

Its not user friendly or appealing to have everything squeezed into boxes.  

Non-sense, the layout of the message board is perfect. Firstly, you can easily see new posts and messages that you have already read, and secondly you can see the message list when reading posts. It greatly reduces the amount of clicking you have to do.

And all three of those scores came after Schindler.

Which was composed after Mahler's 8th Symphony.

Just what are you saying, Morn?

~Harry

I am saying that Williams took the start of the Schindler's List theme from Mahler's 8th, if you want I can send you the part with it.

About 7, and the next 5 notes or so after that are similar but not the same.

Bah you classical music experts need to stop ruining it for us. Maybe Mahler stole HIS music from Scarlatti or Beethoven! You never know! :)

By the way... I disagree with ALLLL you guys! Horner is still the man! :)

Hehe, intelligent people are frequently strange  

Good point Morn! But the instance you gave...admittedly it came from the board but he was not a Horner fan, so he doesn't count! By the way, can you send me the Mahlers 8th symphony? I'd like it to check it out. My curiosity is piqued. ;)

I still think Horner is very talented, he's just so freakin' lazy and full of crap, poor guy.  

Dan - whose never been to the HornerShrine and finds the mere name of that place just plain "weird" and "icky"

Poor guy? He's a millionaire and one of the most popular composers in Hollywood. Plus he writes the best music. And a shrine is perfectably suitable for the man.