James Horner

Morn

I guess so, what is your email?

PS Yes, I have noticed Mahler borrowing :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving back to Horner's early works, didn't he write that song "Somewhere Out There" for some Disney film? That was a nice song.

Moving back to Horner's early works, didn't he write that song "Somewhere Out There" for some Disney film? That was a nice song.

Yes, he wrote that (along with Barry Mann) for An American Tail. Great song. How come nobody knows about the Land Before Time? The score is simply superb. Lots of great melodies, a lush full orchestra and a stunning main theme (also a pop song by Diana Ross: If We Hold On Together that just about everybody knows)! I recommend it to all.

I have it. It is quite good.

And btw, I am always right, do not forget that.

The beginning of Mahler's Symphony No.1 sounds to me like the first notes from the Star Trek theme bu Alexander Courage.

Hector - who hopes he still get to hear something new by Courage

Yes, he wrote that (along with Barry Mann) for An American Tail. Great song. How come nobody knows about the Land Before Time? The score is simply superb. Lots of great melodies, a lush full orchestra and a stunning main theme (also a pop song by Diana Ross: If We Hold On Together that just about everybody knows)! I recommend it to all.

Hehehe. I can't remember the main theme.

~Harry

Thanks for the music, Morn.  You are right, it's unmistakably Schindler's List, although in a completely different style.  No composer is perfect...

Well we certainly know that. :thumbup:

I'll have to judge for myself.

~Harry

Hehehe. I can't remember the main theme.

Why not? I remember it ever since I saw the film.

Thanks for the music, Morn.  You are right, it's unmistakably Schindler's List, although in a completely different style.  No composer is perfect...

I have to argue it's different. The rythm is similar, but the notes are off.

~Harry

Williams has done variations of themes that are more different.

Care to elaborate more on that?

Anyway, I, as will Horneristheman, will be stuck in our opinions, so no arguing is going to change that. :)

~Harry

Emperor theme in augie. Anyway, it doesn't have to have exactly the same notes, they can easily be changed, the point is the intervals are very similar.

Yes, they're very similar, but they aren't the same. There's a difference in those two pieces, as well as those two statements.

~Harry

Concerning Horner/Williams borrowing themes:

The theme in Schindler's List is apparently that of tradtional Russian folk music. Horner used (a variation of) this theme in Enemy at the Gates to great effect, and since it has no defined origin, there is no copyright infringement, etc.

Concerning Horner's repeated use of the short theme:

As far as I can see, this is the epitamy of Horner's modern laziness, as the 5 note 'rising/down 1' menacing theme which was used very well in Willow (kick-arse score), has been used for anything conventionally bad in many of his scores since. Try: Enemy at the Gates, Zorro, A Perfect Storm (and Titanic, I think). Infact, I laughed when I saw Zorro on TV because I heard this motif straight away. My family proceded to give me a strange look.

The theme in Schindler's List is apparently that of tradtional Russian folk music. Horner used (a variation of) this theme in Enemy at the Gates to great effect, and since it has no defined origin, there is no copyright infringement, etc.

However, Williams had already used the theme for a movie wonderfully. The theme was known then, but Horner decided "Hey, I'll use this cause it's cool to copy!"

~Harry

I heard it was a jewish folk song. Anyway, wouldn't that be funny, it would mean Mahler, Williams and Horner have all stolen it :)

Is Willow a good score? I can't remember. I should get it soon.

I like Enemy At The Gates and think the orchestration is awesome.....especially in tracks like "Betrayal".... it's pretty cool, I think.

Schindler's List is Johnny's salute to classical.....and then came Angela's Ashes. Those two are incredibly amazing and they both should've won Oscars.

Director - thinking Johnny's string writing has developed substantially in the past 10 years

Willow is one of his best, and probably his best orchestration too.

His Glory score is gorgeous. His Rocketeer theme is incredibly exciting. His Willow is very adventurous and sometimes chilling. His Apollo 13 theme is subtley heroic.  

His "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids," score includes a LOT of Goonies inspired music.  

The storm theme from "Perfect Storm" is the EXACT same theme for that skull dude from Willow.  

He goes kinda overboard with copying his Braveheart score.  

If you've heard Enya's Book of Days, then you hear Titanic, you'd be prone to think, "Hey, Enya did the soundtrack! Neat!"

Interesting....Horner scores you love, followed by the ones you don't care for because of his tendency to return to familiar thematic grounds. Interesting, because one of scores on your "favorites" list is The Rocketeer....which is like a "best hits" list from his scores of the 80's. There are direct quotes from Willow, Cocoon, Field of Dreams, and his Star Trek scores, just to name a few. Not that I consider this a bad thing, necessarily; in fact, The Rocketeer happens to be one of my favorites as well. Just a curiosity....

I haven't yet heard A Beautiful Mind yet, but I'm astonished to hear that he used the Gayne Ballet bit yet again! That's one of the few thieveries of his I've never been able to reconcile with. It's not so bad that he used it in Aliens, mind you....but that he repeated it again in Patriot Games, and then again in Clear and Present Danger....well, that was just inviting criticism. I guess he figured it was time to dust off an ol' standby once again.... :)

Incidentally....Willow is definitely worth the time, one of the best fantasy scores of the decade. Not as good as Krull, but certainly a great one....

- Uni