37Wv7tS_VQkG3j7sm6gFilabfMDsyCyH2OtK7c8jAFtNK6v_-kbfZxa2xANs

dT0Wynk0ia0yxAGHlCYhHtLtFJ0gRO0EHJgFhldUme6pDibCfp6RDZdK-WEL

GF251bxXDXV30PY5cureFzHG1MHGTn-h5OmaKBI8BWgzEKkCSTgqIwvFL01Y

AFwlHYlrUjMpe4OmRV7H9DGMWZvJyMqZtSbJiZ93TK2Ees-Evc30gd_8a1WC

it1dShHgiwOggle9GNM-F6L48aDB0kKtI9ZU7CkukjSWNp38KQYQuYhexLOg

yJDEI_XrnQH51MiewbVOQVs08PXH46x4sIsZ87CQQW6QJEzVJ1rh80iMOg0K

RbrRwLd4B9wMt56wO_rFyZnH67LAQZTTc8yv6quCxYb13P6RP6du8YvRBf74

7jHPhFbIt9tMPG64a4OophcqeXPt3nRn_vUwJHHZ2TF2JSe_r_iyKcl7

they also have one that says: "a team of highly trained monkey's has been dispatched to solve the problem"

The original trailer for Nixon, for which the track The 1960's The Turbulent Years was specificaly composed. Brilliant stuff

Wow, I never realized. That truly highlights the badassery of that piece.

Thanks for posting that Nixon trailer! I had never seen it before... and now I kind of want too. Looks like a great cast!

It's awesome they got Williams to score the trailer with original music, he's actually really good at that (Hook, HP1, HP3). I'm also glad he put the trailer music on the OST as it's a powerful piece.... but why name it "1960's The Turbulent Years"? So odd.

It's been forever since I've listened to the OST; Does any of the music in the trailer re-appear in the film itself (and/or the OST?)

Thanks for posting that Nixon trailer! I had never seen it before... and now I kind of want too. Looks like a great cast!

It's awesome they got Williams to score the trailer with original music, he's actually really good at that (Hook, HP1, HP3). I'm also glad he put the trailer music on the OST as it's a powerful piece.... but why name it "1960's The Turbulent Years"? So odd.

It's been forever since I've listened to the OST; Does any of the music in the trailer re-appear in the film itself (and/or the OST?)

Well the 1960's were quite turbulent in world history and in American history so the name for the trailer music is to me quite fitting.

And the trailer piece is sort of an overture and presents most of the themes used in the film in a 5 minute powerhouse of a cue, highlighting the Power/Dark side of Nixon theme in the middle. The themes are not used in such driving fashion in the film very many times but the score contains some powerful highlights and all of the thematic material heard in the trailer music is presented on the OST itself. Williams really went for the darker side of Nixon with his score which broods in a marvellous fashion, deliberately gothic and melodramatic.

Yeah, I love it when Williams is brought onboard to write music specifically for the trailers. He always does a fantastic job of creating a standalone piece with lots of great melodic material that gets adapted into the score proper. When that music makes it onto the OST, even better.

Well the 1960's were quite turbulent in world history and in American history so the name for the trailer music is to me quite fitting.

And the trailer piece is sort of an overture and presents most of the themes used in the film in a 5 minute powerhouse of a cue, highlighting the Power/Dark side of Nixon theme in the middle. The themes are not used in such driving fashion in the film very many times but the score contains some powerful highlights and all of the thematic material heard in the trailer music is presented on the OST itself. Williams really went for the darker side of Nixon with his score which broods in a marvellous fashion, deliberately gothic and melodramatic.

Nixon still is, imho, one of the most layered and intriguing scores he has ever written. His Nixon theme (the good side of Nixon sort of theme) is an amazing musical representation of the man. So much greatness and yet so many flaws. It's incredible how Williams was able to define that musically. it's one of those scores that really has a sound of its own. I would mistake any portion of music from Nixon as being from any other score. THis score might strike many as boring on the first listens, but just like Sleepers, it can become an incredibly rewarding experience one you start to "get" the score.

Incanus wrote a wonderful analysis on this score a few months ago, I wonder if you could repost it, Mikko?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the Angela's Ashes video. It is one of my favourite JW scores. Great footage and a very interesting interview. ;)

a video that claims to have the zelda theme Conducted by John Williams (though some sources cite that while the BPO played this, this particular recording was done by the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra)

I still don't know the story behind that, but as I've probably mentioned before, the arrangement sounds completely Williams to me.

Blech.

I can live with the voice-over, though it completely removes all dramatic tension from the first two movies (Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back), which ends up happening anyway if you watch them in episodic order.

Too much time was spent idling on the single-frame shot of the title crawl, so that "The Planet Krypton" ended before they were done showing the star destroyer shooting the blockade runner. All musical momentum ended for those dozen seconds or so.

Then they show so many opening credits that the peak of the musical mountain, so to speak, the moment of triumph where the music "speaks" "Superman!" occurs when the Star Wars logo has almost completely traveled into the screen, instead of timing to hit at the same time for greater effect.

Part of the joy of Star Wars was that it had no opening credits and through you straight into the movie. At least Superman Returns took you on a Carl Sagan-less roller coaster ride through space during its credits.

And that "A New Hope"? Get that shit out of there.

Blech.

I can live with the voice-over, though it completely removes all dramatic tension from the first two movies (Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back), which ends up happening anyway if you watch them in episodic order.

Too much time was spent idling on the single-frame shot of the title crawl, so that "The Planet Krypton" ended before they were done showing the star destroyer shooting the blockade runner. All musical momentum ended for those dozen seconds or so.

Then they show so many opening credits that the peak of the musical mountain, so to speak, the moment of triumph where the music "speaks" "Superman!" occurs when the Star Wars logo has almost completely traveled into the screen, instead of timing to hit at the same time for greater effect.

Part of the joy of Star Wars was that it had no opening credits and through you straight into the movie. At least Superman Returns took you on a Carl Sagan-less roller coaster ride through space during its credits.

And that "A New Hope"? Get that shit out of there.

and about the idling crawl backstory text, i timed it so the text would appear and dissapear at the exact same portion of "The Planet Krypton" that its superman returns counterpart did

well the titles were done in After FX following a tutorial so they arent exactly the right speed (and it's the alternate of the credits music, and i had to use A NEW HOPE because it would be redundent to say STAR WARS twice

as for the fact that The Planet Krypton ends and there is silence, well rewatch superman returns, there is a pause between krypton exploding and the title music

and all of this was a mockup done for a radical edit of ANH where changes such as these would be made: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lnD7XSQtQBU ( i did not make this)

Harry Hill has become a bit of a prime time comedy king here in the UK on a Saturday night and this hilarious clip demonstrates why. I had tears in my eyes. It aired just last night and is absolute lunacy:

Harry Hill has become a bit of a prime time comedy king here in the UK on a Saturday night and this hilarious clip demonstrates why. I had tears in my eyes. It aired just last night and is absolute lunacy:

Haha :lol: I've not watched any Harry Hill stuff for ages, I should start checking some of his stuff out again.

Here's a silly but funny clip ....I don't think it's been posted here before??

At 0:36 the narrator uses the phrase "100 miles." Is he referring to standard miles of 5,280 feet apiece? I thought all Brits had switched to kilometers for length. Or is it just poetic license, and he means "kilometers?"

Technically, we're supposed to use metric, but NOBODY does. Imperial measurements are still very much the unofficial standard. I only ever talk in Feet, Yards and Miles.

Five pound of potatoes would cost you about £1.50.