Youtube clips

KingPin

The percussion was fine.

It wasn't bad for their age, but there was a lot of room for improvement. I've been a percussionist, drumline captain, and conductor at various points, so I can't help noticing these things.

Don't see you memorising and performing a 7 and a half minute piece of Williams music.

That's true, although you can certainly listen to me memorizing and performing a 9-minute one if you'd like. :)

Apologies for the mistakes and out-of-tune piano...I can play it a lot better now than I could when I recorded that. Kind of weird to listen to an old version of my arrangement, actually...

Anyway, I also play the end credits suite, but I've never uploaded it because it seemed a little superfluous after "Journey to the Island."

Tall poppy syndrome...had to look that one up. I might have to add that to my vocabulary! :D But no, I'm not a fan of it either. Far too prevalent a phenomenon, especially among kids, and it's probably why as an adult, I'm still rather reluctant to share the things I'm good at...and typically self-deprecating when I do. Apologies if I gave the wrong impression with my post, but I did say "I enjoyed it. :D". It's a very fun and unique arrangement that obviously took a lot of talent to put together, especially for kids their age. My comment about the percussion and the final chord wasn't intended as a scathing denouncement of their hard work.

No worries. I saw your use of the word 'poor' and misinterpreted. Apologies if I seemed harsh in my response, I teach kids as young as this with nowhere near that level of skill, and the most important thing to communicate to them is positive feedback, not words like 'poor' and 'bad'. Feel very strongly about that, though obviously you're not saying to the kids directly. :)

I agree completely, and I definitely wouldn't talk to kids (or any musicians, really) this way about their music. Perhaps I shouldn't do so behind their back, as it were, either. Positive, constructive, enthusiastic feedback is the way to go. :)

I don't know if this has come up before but I found these yesterday:

3 piano studies in the John Williams style!

I don't get the purpose of theses pieces - the parts that sound like Williams are clear rip-offs - and the others don't even sound close to his style...

Does anybody(of us old farts) remember this series from 70's. How amazing is the human brain; I can

remember this note to note and every chord after (almost) forty years!!

Mysterious Island theme by Gianni Ferrio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUY6KdrT3OA&feature=related

http://vimeo.com/19496187

Varese posted this on their FB page. Great performance of an incredible work.

Brilliant. Absof***inglutely brilliant!!!!! Jerry himself would be proud. There were tears, I am not ashamed to say. It's performances like that of music of that calibre that makes you glad to be alive.

Grimethorpe Colliery Band 'Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom'

2:50 onwards sounds quite lovely. Freshly made bread delivered to cobble laned villages by small boys on bikes, wearing flat caps and faces blackened by coal dust :P

A fitting tribute to one of the greats.

88 years and still going. Mentally sharp but it appears father time is catching up physically and sometimes that's hard to watch. I hope he can appear in The Hobbit

Thanks, I never got around to listing that one, it was added to the FSM thread the first one appeared in.

It's amazing I never knew the Trek one existed, I recall seeing the Poltergiest one in 1983.

That is flipping brilliant. It helps that I haven't seen any of the films the source material was taken from, which makes it all the more half-believable. What were the Henry Thomas clips from?

I saw a spot taken from "The Sum Of All Fears" which is actually a really good film, I think you'd like it.

I just saw this over at Topless Robot. I didn't think an E.T. sequel would be a good idea until I saw this, and now I wish they would make it more than damn near anything. Awesome!