Youtube clips

KingPin

That's not really a concert arrangement, is it? It's just Sir Francis And The Unicorn and The Adventures Continues played one after the other. Well, at least it sounds like it to me.

It is the same as the radio broadcast (literally the same, I think) from a couple months back. It is a concert arrangment of Sir Francis, which is different, followed by the adventures continues, which is the same as the album.

Oh I just love this. Space exploration, geology, engineering, and John Williams in the same video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAIG1rlovnE

Well, that was freaking brilliant.

Actually, these two alternate videos are possibly the best opportunity we've ever had to make like-for-like comparisons between the two composers very different styles and in fact I think this deserves it own thread.

It's interesting - Williams' version, whilst my favourite of the two, really does sound dated. Zimmer's version is is ultra contemporary and I can see why many would say they personally prefer it.

Well the JW music in the video was composed in the 70's and in the case of Star Wars it was designed to sound dated. But I I don't register the sense of datedness most of the time so I dunno.

It would be interesting to see the animation with modern Williams!

I thought the Williams music fit a lot better though. The Superman music with the shots in space was absolutely sublime in comparison to Zimmer's music which was so "in your face" that it ruins the moment. Perhaps the second half might sound a bit dated, although it isn't obvious. But up until the landing point, Williams' music works wonders.

In contrast, Zimmer's Batman music was just too much and overbearing; consequently ruining the atmosphere. I think a change of Zimmer scores might have been to the video's benefit.

Both those rover videos were made by me. I'd already posted them in this thread the day I uploaded them to Youtube back in August, but it didn't get much attention. It was pretty fun doing it and quite time consuming. So here's some behind the scenes notes.

With both videos, I started with working on finding the right piece of music to accompany the sky crane lowering the rover down and also finding the right music to accompany the wide shot of the rover after it landed. To me, those were the most important shots in the video.

For the Williams' version, using the Jawa Sandcrawler music for the surface operations was a no brainer. It was incredibly lucky some of the sync points I had marked were matched up so well. In fact, I didn't do anything editing for the surface operations, it was just copy and pasting the whole track. The last two minutes worked out quite nicely as well with "The Moisture Farm". Finding the track to close out the last 50s of the video properly was what I worked on the most there.

With the Zimmer version, I was most familiar with his Dark Knight music so I went with that. Quite a bit of editing was needed to get it to match with the sync points I had in mind. Because of Zimmer's different style scoring for his Dark Knight music, it was somewhat harder to find the right pieces of music. For the last 5 minutes though, I already knew I had to use "A Watchful Guardian". My goal was to have the "Watchful Guardian" theme accompany Curiosity as it finished it's work and begins to drive off. It worked out exactly what I had in mind all the way to the end credits.

This was a wonderful exercise in film scoring, even if I didn't write the music.

Edit:

lmao! my account got terminated literally 5 mins ago. no more side by side comparisons anymore. damn you copyrights.

http://www.youtube.c...l?v=MrIxH6DToXQ

anyone watching?!

"Red Bull Stratos is a mission to the edge of space that will try to surpass human limits that have existed for more than 50 years. Supported by a team of experts, Felix Baumgartner will undertake a stratospheric balloon flight to more than 120,000 feet / 36,576 meters and make a record-breaking freefall jump in the attempt to become the first man to break the speed of sound in freefall (an estimated 690 miles / 1,110 kilometers per hour), while delivering valuable data for medical and scientific advancement."

Edit:

lmao! my account got terminated literally 5 mins ago. no more side by side comparisons anymore. damn you copyrights.

Wow. They didn't just remove the videos? What did you do to piss them off that much?

I believe that if someone makes a formal copyright claim and an account gets too many of them, they zap it.

I got one when I put up a scene from Doctor Who with isolated music and the BBC complained. (how many tracks would they have sold if they just put a damn itunes link?). I just deleted it and all was well.

Is there really no other recording of ToD that Copperfield could have used? I find it hard to believe that he'd commission an orchestra to re-record loads of cues, just for TV.

http://www.youtube.c...l?v=MrIxH6DToXQ

anyone watching?!

"Red Bull Stratos is a mission to the edge of space that will try to surpass human limits that have existed for more than 50 years. Supported by a team of experts, Felix Baumgartner will undertake a stratospheric balloon flight to more than 120,000 feet / 36,576 meters and make a record-breaking freefall jump in the attempt to become the first man to break the speed of sound in freefall (an estimated 690 miles / 1,110 kilometers per hour), while delivering valuable data for medical and scientific advancement."

I am! Crazy stuff...

Edit:

Wow. They didn't just remove the videos? What did you do to piss them off that much?

I was already on the hot seat. I had two strikes for a long time. So this wasn't unexpected. I uploaded Williams' Clarinet concerto one time and the producer wanted me to remove it. I refused and got my second strike hahahah. I had tons of John Williams music on there so any one of those could've been the third strike. My War Horse and Tintin videos were the most watched on Youtube. Kinda pissed about that. So I made a new account and I'm gonna re-upload some stuff, but unfortunately I don't have the rover videos on my HDD anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a very nice performance, by the Australian International Symphony Orchestra Institute, of the tone poem Tomorrow from Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score for The Constant Nymph. It has long been a favourite of mine so it is nice to see it on YouTube.

[media=]

These are awesome - A selection of films made by a chap named Herve Attia who visits the locations of his fave movies.

[media=]

[media=]

Yeah, those are nice. Well made. I like how they use various effects (split screen, fade in/out) to show the locations, and match them to the shot in the movie. I wish they would do a full blow Raiders of the Lost Ark one. (i think they have snippets, but not a full one like these). Watching the home alone one reminds me again how great that score is.

• 2 weeks later...

John Williams received the 2012 Classic Brit Life Achievement Award

Skip to 7:30 for John Williams winning "Composer of the Year" beating out Ennio Morricone and that other guy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're like me, you've spent years wondering what the hell the choir singing "O Fortuna" is saying. (Given the passion with which they belt it out, it seems like it must be something important.)

Well, at last we have the answers we've been looking for. I found this video extraordinarily helpful:

- Uni

• 2 weeks later...