• Alan Silvestri
    • John Powell
    • Danny Elfman
    • other

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing you mean for Superman Returns.

I picked "other". I'd go with either David Arnold or Don Davis. Neither are strangers to adapting the work of others and both are capable of writing quality music. Davis has even adapted Williams and Arnolds score to The Musketeer owes a great debt to Superman. Both would have been good choices for this film.

Neil

Everytime I hear Supergirl and really start to get into it, I keep wondering if that's what Superman would've sounded like had Donner gotten his way and had Jerry not been booked. Was Supergirl really a feminine-sounding theme or is it based off Williams? Think of it...had Jerry done Superman, we'd probably have another great movie theme like Patton or TMP. Think about that for a sec.

As for Returns, I voted for Ed Shearmur. Everybody else has done blockbusters recently and none of them have impressed me much except for Shearmur and Silvestri. I didn't vote for Silvestri because I thought he'd write his own stuff more than Williams' because he can. Shearmur's not got the seniority to do that, and Sky Captain was good, so...he got my vote.

Think of it...had Jerry done Superman, we'd probably have another great movie theme like Patton or TMP.  Think about that for a sec.

Uh, no. Williams' theme is iconic and classic, and I don't want anyone else near that first film. I wouldn't trade that for any Goldsmith score.

Tim

Giacchino. He could have made such an excellent Superman score. With M:I3, even when he added to or modified Schifrin's theme, he still respected it. I feel sure that he would have used Williams' themes properly, and he certainly wouldn't have underestimated them or called them "gagging," "awful," or "stupid." And he might have made new themes that you would actually remember after seeing the film. It's depressing just to think of how great a score he could written, but that it didn't (nor will it ever) happen.

Gah! I wish I could just fly around the world and right this indelible wrong.

I've voted for "Other" here - David Arnold is the composer I would have liked for Superman Returns - but Ottman's score is great....

um he's kinda deceased

Nevertheless, I would have "liked him for Superman". Seriously, if I had to pick a composer of choice, he's the only one I'd consider if he were alive today. I can't see a modern Williams score for this, and I wouldn't even want Goldenthal to handle it.

Well, I would pick John Williams, but since he's not a choice I'll....no, I'll go with Williams. :P

I like the score we have.

Agreed.

Me too. The hypotheticals are all very well, but Ottman's score is outstanding. I am happy to say it is the second best of the series.

Jerry Goldsmith

What? Remember Supergirl? Brrrrrr! The film and the soundtrack deserved each other. Too kitschy for me taste!

You haven't heard Supergirl lately. It's anything but "kitschy". It's a big epic score that on it's own hides the fact that Supergirl is high camp trash.

Neil

Jerry Goldsmith

What? Remember Supergirl? Brrrrrr! The film and the soundtrack deserved each other. Too kitschy for me taste!

I haven't seen the film. I'm sure it's horrid (and I didn't find the original Superman too good, for that matter). I do believe that the score on CD drags somewhat, and I rarely play the CD, but I don't doubt that Goldsmith would have written great stuff if the movie had been interesting enough.

As it stands, the main title/suite is outstanding. I actually prefer it to the Williams march (which I'd rather label "kitschy", or at least cliched, than SG), and for good reason it was Goldsmith's standard encode piece for his last concerts (a tradition thankfully continued by Brosse).

The Trekkies win... not! :P

Jerry Goldsmith

You haven't heard Supergirl lately.

Yes, I have, since I have in my possession the expanded soundtrack. And I have decided not to listen to the score ever again. I truly think the score equals the visuals.

I haven't seen the film. I'm sure it's horrid (and I didn't find the original Superman too good, for that matter).

Compared to Supergirl it's a genuine masterpiece!

Alex

I don't understand what all the fuss is about Giacchino.. His orchestrations are weak and very unsatisfying to listen to... The Incredibles was very good, but it still wasn't that great.

My vote would go to Edward Shearmur or Don Davis.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about Giacchino.. His orchestrations are weak and very unsatisfying to listen to... The Incredibles was very good, but it still wasn't that great.

My vote would go to Edward Shearmur or Don Davis.

IMO Giachinno is the composer that has closest sounded like Williams in some of his scores, while writing original music not based on Williams themes like Williams Ross, Ken Thorne, Don Davis did... . (well ok one or two action cues from Giacchino may sound lifted, but as a whole...)

I like the score we have.

Agreed.

Me too. The hypotheticals are all very well, but Ottman's score is outstanding. I am happy to say it is the second best of the series.

This one has my backing as well.

Bruce Broughton.

He showed several times he could write great themes, great action, in the Williams-Goldsmith tradition of orchestral music but with an undeniably identifiable voice of his own, with excellent orchestration.

Of course, Goldsmith would have been a natural choice.

Supergirl has indeed a feminine touch, and the suite is gorgeous.

I'd like to add another "usual suspect": Basil Poledouris. Same comments as for Broughton.

I ordered my copy Superman Returns two days ago, by the way; I haven't heard a single note, but I trusted Ottman on this one, and the reviews have been particularly good, especially for such daunting a task.

obsupes001a.gif

Only one composer could have pulled off the new Superman score with aplomb...the one, the only....

Philip Glass

My friend, you know me to be neither rash nor impulsive. I'm not given to wild, unsupported statements.

Edward Shearmur is beyond doubt the most capable and old-school up-and-coming composer. His Sky Captain is by FAR one of the most thoroughly well-composed traditional superhero film scores since Williams' Golden Era. It's shocking how disparate the quality is between this and Ottman's effort for Returns, and it makes me appreciate how great the year 2004 was for scores.

I think it would be fun to retrack the film with Shearmur's score.