Next Oscar!!!

Sobky

Ok we are half way through the Academy Year, the oscar is in February this year.

So any scores worthy to be nominated yet??

Mr Williams hasnot given anything but still we have 6 more months.

So what do you guys think are eligible nominees that have been released or yet to be released??

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It hasn't been a very good score-year so far (a great year for releases of old scores, but that's beside the point). I think probably United 93 is the best in terms of how it carries the film.

Best score of the year so far was Powell's X3, and that's a very, very solid score, but it'll be a really bad year if it ends up one of the five best. Not that I see much potential for the rest of the year, but between Horner, Elfman, JNH and HGW (among others) we could get a couple of nifty scores.

Best score of the year so far was Powell's X3, and that's a very, very solid score, but it'll be a really bad year if it ends up one of the five best. Not that I see much potential for the rest of the year, but between Horner, Elfman, JNH and HGW (among others) we could get a couple of nifty scores.

This has gotta be the year Elfman wins. :mrgreen: What's he doing this year?

This has gotta be the year Elfman wins. :mrgreen: What's he doing this year?

Charlotte's Web

The Real is very much exemplified by the rear screen projections in Hitchcock films.

Now there's an intelligent response. :mrgreen:

I remember Elfman saying once that if there was an Oscar category for "Best Elfman Score", he'd still lose.

well, he was true. That is somewhat a paradox, since he would be nominated several times for tha award, and only win for one of the scores, the others will lose.

Charlotte's Web

I hope the music is good because the previews for the film were some of the blandest I've seen in ages.

Just a tip: Almodovar's new film (Volver) got really good welcome outside Spain (Cannes mainly). I bet it will get good reviews in the States too, and taking into account the score is by Alberto Iglesias, one of last year weird names, it's not that crazy to assume he could get a nod.

On the other hand, I can't wait to Alatriste: Roque Baños is a really good composer, and I'm sure he will deliver a good swashbuckling score. But I don't think the movie will draw so much attention to itself as to get any nods (especially when Almodovar will be there as the Spanish/Hispanic rep).

Just a tip: Almodovar's new film (Volver) got really good welcome outside Spain (Cannes mainly). I bet it will get good reviews in the States too

If it is, expect the remake to arrive in 2008. ;)

I bet this is the year Williams doesn't score anything,and nobody else scores anything even remotely memorable or catchy from an Oscar favourite film.

k.M.

um superman returns. it has gotten rave reviews so far. plus the new stuff like the jumping in the cornfield was very well done.

X3 is my favorite score of the year so far, but I don't see it receiving an academy award nomination.

As for Superman Returns getting a nomination . . . isn't there some rule against nominating a score that does not contain original music, or music previously scored?

X3 is my favorite score of the year so far, but I don't see it receiving an academy award nomination.

As for Superman Returns getting a nomination . . . isn't there some rule against nominating a score that does not contain original music, or music previously scored?

They set that up in 2003, then in 2004, they gave it up and nominated Return of the King.

They set that up in 2003, then in 2004, they gave it up and nominated Return of the King.

Figures. Fuckin' academy . . .

*is still fumed over Geisha's defeat to Brokeback*

We've already discussed this. it seems it depends on the scores of the year, they use this rule to drop those ones they want with an official excuse.