Morricone's "Orca"

nicholas

Is anyone familiar with this score? I remember the film was pretty risible - apart from a few nice shots of a whale jumping out of the sea - but the music was very haunting. I notice it has recently be re-released.

WHat is the general view on Morricone? He seems almost laughably prolific but I like everything I have heard by him, particularly "The Mission" and "Cinema Paradiso", of course.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Ennio Morricone get an Honorary Oscar next year much the same way Alex North got one in 1986? He's way long overdue an Oscar.

Will Ennio Morricone get an Honorary Oscar next year much the same way Alex North got one in 1986?  He's way long overdue an Oscar.

No he'll probably have to die first.

Morricone once said that film and film music written in a symphonic style don't go well together. And I believe he said that after Williams successfully had re-introduced the grand orchestral film scoring style in the 70s (Star Wars, Superman, etc). Suddenly, each movie, even if it was about a man going all day to the toilet, was overscored with symphonic violence.

Alex

I only remember the main theme, it does sound haunting at times.

Morricone is hit or miss with me.

I know what you mean

I got Wolf (crap movie) and I nearly threw it away

Another Morricone score I love is "Days of Heaven" - full of rapturous string writing which perfectly complements the imagery of the film (although I haven't seen it for many years). However, the CD must be the worst sub-bootleg sound quality I have ever heard. Twinned with the extraordinary score for "Two Mules for Sister Sara", which is charming but has to be heard to be believed.

At the moment you can't turn on "Classic FM TV" (or whatever it's called) without seeing an intense Morricone conducting something very sad and introverted from "Once Upon a Time in America." Is it the main theme? Quite beautiful.

I love the main theme from Unce Upon a Time in America,the versions on the OST that is.I have a Morricone compilation that has "Cockney's Song" and"Deborah"s theme",but these concert versions do not contain an essential transitionnal section of the theme that I love.I also don"t have the OST c.d. anymore and only a few tracks on Minidisk.I'd like to find it again.

And I've said it a few times,my favourite Morricone theme is the love theme from Lolita(Love in the Morning track)

K.M.

And I've said it a few times,my favourite Morricone theme is the love theme from Lolita(Love in the Morning track)

K.M.

Excellent theme and score! Good taste there Mark!

'Sacrifice of a Hero' from MISSION TO MARS also stands as one of his finest achievements.