Which Williams theme makes the best use of musical leaps?

Quintus

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, but because Williams definitely never consciously considers this point when he's composing, it's not a valid discussion I'm afraid. Stop detracting from the beauty of Williams' music.

:P

I'd say the Superman March. I'm talking about the shirt ripping melody.

I can count four. From someone who doesn't understand musical theory mind.

By musical leaps, are you talking about intervals? I am guessing the four are Superman, E.T., Star Wars, and Jurrasic Park? All four of these rely on a 5th as their main ingredient.

The Williams theme that relies most on intervalic leaps is Theme from Schindler's List. I can't think of a Williams theme that has so many leaps back to back. It repeatedly hammers gently back and forth between a higher pitch and a lower pitch.

The Raiders' March, Love Theme from Superman, Luke and Leia, Temple of Doom Love Theme, The Basket Chase, Princess Leia, and Flight to Neverland have some nice leaps in my opinion. I'm more will come to me later since Williams is quite good at using leaps in his compositions.

I always felt For Always was an amazing use of leaps... the whole piece is formed around fourths..

Another amazing one is the Love theme from Episode II (Across the Stars.)

The first interval of the theme is a minor 6th, which represents anguished love amazingly well...

Gotta love those octaves.

For me the best use of an octave leap in a popular song is the chorus of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. We`get this vast octave leap as Dorothy sings "Somewhere over the rainbow" etc. Then gradually the leaps get smaller and the music gets lower and lower until she finishes back on the starting Do, which coincides with Dorothy's lyrics getting sadder and returning back to Earth "why oh why can't I?" Clever songwriting indeed.