Official Signature Editions Mistakes Log (+ mystrious # pi)

pi

I was just reading through Summon the Heroes with the old headphones on discovered:

1. Bar 2 - Snare Drum's Snare is not off as it says to be, in the next hit you can hear he turned it off.

2. Bar 118 - Flute Dissapears (JW must have changed this on the stand); harp and piano also

3. Bar 130 and so on, snare drum and bass drum dissapear until 138

i am sure there are more, i just noticed them. What a brilliant piece. this is my favorite.

lets keep it to mistakes in the score, not so much faulty notes

a good place for a log of corrections.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey 3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679

why did you post twice.

This was such a good thread, I had to read it twice...

And Joe, I do believe 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105*snip!*1989

is more accurate.

perhaps,

PI is an interesting individual, and I've been trying to figure him out, but it keeps causing my computer to crash

I was just reading through Summon the Heroes with the old headphones on discovered:

2.  Bar 118 - Flute Dissapears (JW must have changed this on the stand); harp and piano also

Are you sure you aren't just noticing the "subito p" dynamic marking there? Could be just a balance issue when they recorded it.

And just because you do or don't hear something doesn't necessarily make it a mistake. Don't forget that JW is known to modify his concert versions from time to time (Excerpts from Close Encounters, for example, has gone through a few revisions; or in Duel of the Fates, the added percussion and the removal of the high trumpet finish). There are various percussion parts in Viktor's Tale score that don't appear on the soundtrack. Simply added later by the composer. Everyone should note that the Signature Editions are designed primarily for professional orchestras that don't have access to JW's personal collection but wish to perform his music. In fact, I have sat in the balcony of Symphony Hall at Boston Pops concerts, directly over the orchestra, and from time to time have noticed discrepancies between the SE score and what the musicians are playing, even when Williams himself conducted it. For example, I saw him conduct Fawkes the Phoenix, and in the beginning, I saw the celeste playing arpeggios with the strings. This can be heard on the soundtrack, but does not appear in the SE sheet music. I have witnessed other examples too, I think in the clarinet section during Raiders' March (I think the 3rd clarinet had an extended part).

Enough of that. I did find a mistake earlier today in Viktor's Tale from The Terminal. In measure 67, there is a low G (below middle C) in the Oboe 3 part. The lowest note on a standard oboe is B-flat below middle C.

And speaking of Duel of the Fates, measures 45-48 in the flutepart are incorrect. The score shows these measures as four identical measures, but beats 3 and 4 of measures 46 and 48 differ from the ones in measures 45 and 47.

There's a mistake in The Chamber of Secrets, one I noticed when I listened to the Cincinnati Pops recording of it(Great Film Fantasies). Measure 66 of the bass trombone part shows a B-natural, but it should be a B-flat. Kunzel didn't pick upon this and the error is very audible (no thanks to the trombonist apparently wanting to be loudest person to be heard) on the CD.

And Joe, I do believe 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105*snip!*1989

is more accurate.

Only writing that in full would totally screw up the layout here.

well there is music written in the harp, flute and piano and it goes tacet when there is another 5 bars or so to play.

i just thought of something since pi is infinite decimel, can i pick any number and somewhere on the strain it will inevitbely have those numbers even though these are specific number ratios?

......5684236874255984123 for example

you should know more about yourself than most of us.

well the olympic spirit is also off from the recording in the summon the heroes cd. for the cd JW added a snare and changed the opening rhythm a bit. also Star wars finale throne room, the skywalker symphony CD is off for the first Boomtsss.

i just thought of something since pi is infinite decimel,  can i pick any number and somewhere on the strain it will inevitbely have those numbers even though these are specific number ratios?

yes you can, its infinite

I didn't understand the concept of pi in high school and I still don't understand it. What method of measurement did they use to come up with 3.1 ... ... forever? It seems so damn random, especially when applied to a simple circle.

I didn't understand the concept of pi in high school and I still don't understand it.  What method of measurement did they use to come up with 3.1 ... ... forever?  It seems so damn random, especially when applied to a simple circle.

It's not a random number, it's Circumference of a circle/diameter of the circle.

Concepts similar fractions existed long before decimals and 0's.

Ancient Mathematicians discovered that the ratio of the distance around a circle to its diameter is about 3:1 and eventually approximately 256/81...to 22/7...etc. etc.

Basically, at those times, there was no algebra, no trig, no "higher maths" per se, it was derived purely using geometry. If I were to give you a straight edge (with no measurements) and a compass, you could get an approximation of pi as well...though not as accurately obviously. That's all you need in geometry.

Around the renaissance, following the development of algebra and the likes, mathematicians began developing formulae to find the digits of pi. By hand...some got pretty close to the 1000th digit. If I remember my classes correctly, one got close to 1000 after a few years, only to discover he had made an error in calculation a few hundred digits before...making everything after it wrong. LOL

i just thought of something since pi is infinite decimel, can i pick any number and somewhere on the strain it will inevitbely have those numbers even though these are specific number ratios?  

In theory (and theory only because we can't know infinity)you can find...ANYTHING in the digits of pi. Your name, your address, my name, my address, the 2050 stock quotes, the 1906 stock quotes, your future grandchild's name, John Williams' date of death, the script to Indiana Jones IV...etc.

Of course, given we're limited to only about 400 billion digits of it so far...you may not find everything and anything just yet.

In theory (and theory only because we can't know infinity)you can find...ANYTHING in the digits of pi.  Your name, your address, my name, my address,  the 2050 stock quotes, the 1906 stock quotes, your future grandchild's name, John Williams' date of death, the script to Indiana Jones IV...etc.  

Of course, given we're limited to only about 400 billion digits of it so far...you may not find everything and anything just yet.

Sounds like the Bible code.

But isn't 1/3 also an infinite number? 0.33333333etc.

yes but we know all the numbers of this number, infinite 3s. its a rational irrational number. pi is irrational.

also Star wars finale throne room, the skywalker symphony CD is off for the first Boomtsss.

This is a misconception. In the Star Wars Suite published back in the 70's, the cymbal crash is notated where it falls in the Skywalker symphony recordings. I don't know about the Signature edition of the Throne Room because I don't have it. But the Skywalker symphony version was done before the Signature Edition.

Speaking of mistakes, in Adventures on Earth in the Tpt. 3 part, m.305, there is a mysterious 'G' that appears. Any ideas?

OMG, someone made a mistake! It sure wasnt Williams though.

Someone needs to be fired, immediately.

OMG, someone made a mistake! It sure wasnt Williams though.  

Someone needs to be fired, immediately.

That's what the thread is for, is it not?

Funny this thread came up as just today I saw one. Fawkes the Phoenix signature edition is lacking dynamics after some crescendoes. Clearly the strings playing the melody are supposed to be f or ff, but the most recent dynamic is a few pages back and is p

E.T. Adventures on Earth, page 40 bar 232, first violins have a D# on the 2nd 8th note of beat 1, but it is supposed to be an F#.

Funny. My copy shows an F#, and measure 232 appears on page 42. :?

E.T. Adventures on Earth, page 40 bar 232, first violins have a D# on the 2nd 8th note of beat 1, but it is supposed to be an F#.

Funny. My copy shows an F#, and measure 232 appears on page 42. :?

Heh? Isn't my copy your copy? {{{insert Twilight Zone music here}}}

:)

Pi is amazing because it is the worlds most complex naturally occuring number. Phi is not necassarily a naturally ocurring number. The sun is a circle, therefore pi exists, as if by no other means at least. The earth is an oblate spheroid so pi must be altered.

Think about it is quite amazing. The sun feels the gravity of only itself, so far that we know, and therefore it's gravitational pull is determined just by the displacement of its own mass within its core. It therefore must be considered a perfect circle? Dependant upon the placement of the heavy masses. Yet the earth has two gravatational pulls, 1 is the pull of the sun, 2 is the pull of its own body. It is quite amazing that the sun has a strong enough pull to alter the shape of our planet while it spins in its orbit. I wonder how much of our internal gravity is reliant upon the sun and how much is reliant upon the earth.

Would the earth spin if we had no sun? I am not sure I think it could and also could not. Think of a baseball curve ball and then think of a hard soccer shot from the world cup (where the ball hardly spins at all). I guess it is all dependant upon the initial energy and direction.

All of the signature editions are littered with mistakes. It's a bit astounding actually. While I'm extremely happy that we have these products, I wonder how professional copyists and note-checkers could miss them all.

The most mistake-laden one is for Harry Potter POA. Clearly, it was done in a rush to get it out. But I'd say each and every one has at least 5 mistakes.

However Jeshopk, the lack of dynamics isn't so much a mistake as simply an editorial choice. You don't have to have dynamics for crescendos and decres I'm sure you know. Sure, it would be a good idea, for performers, to put it in. But it's not neccessarily a mistake...more a bit of laziness and time-saving.

All of the signature editions are littered with mistakes.  It's a bit astounding actually.  While I'm extremely happy that we have these products, I wonder how professional copyists and note-checkers could miss them all.

Considering what they charge for these, you'd think they'd do it more carefully.

Pi is amazing because it is the worlds most complex naturally occuring number.  Phi is not necassarily a naturally ocurring number.  The sun is a circle, therefore pi exists, as if by no other means at least.  The earth is an oblate spheroid so pi must be altered.

Think about it is quite amazing. The sun feels the gravity of only itself, so far that we know, and therefore it's gravitational pull is determined just by the displacement of its own mass within its core.  It therefore must be considered a perfect circle? Dependant upon the placement of the heavy masses.  Yet the earth has two gravatational pulls, 1 is the pull of the sun, 2 is the pull of its own body.  It is quite amazing that the sun has a strong enough pull to alter the shape of our planet while it spins in its orbit. I wonder how much of our internal gravity is reliant upon the sun and how much is reliant upon the earth.

Would the earth spin if we had no sun? I am not sure I think it could and also could not. Think of a baseball curve ball and then think of a hard soccer shot from the world cup (where the ball hardly spins at all). I guess it is all dependant upon the initial energy and direction.

I could easily insult right now, but I won't......... for now. :)

bring it tuff guy. I fight with the best on the board, what makes you special? whats so wrong with being amazed by a number. 69 is another one i find amazing. I read books on these topics all the time, i love science, especially micro biology and virology. Did you know russian scientist development a lethal and highly stable virus out of only human cells? This virus does not even impede the no biological weapons treaty signed by the great nations, which we all ignore of course.

anyway what can you bring to the table about signature edition mistakes? huh? yeh.

Pi is amazing because it is the worlds most complex naturally occuring number.  Phi is not necassarily a naturally ocurring number.  The sun is a circle, therefore pi exists, as if by no other means at least.  The earth is an oblate spheroid so pi must be altered.

Think about it is quite amazing. The sun feels the gravity of only itself, so far that we know, and therefore it's gravitational pull is determined just by the displacement of its own mass within its core.  It therefore must be considered a perfect circle? Dependant upon the placement of the heavy masses.  Yet the earth has two gravatational pulls, 1 is the pull of the sun, 2 is the pull of its own body.  It is quite amazing that the sun has a strong enough pull to alter the shape of our planet while it spins in its orbit. I wonder how much of our internal gravity is reliant upon the sun and how much is reliant upon the earth.

I could easily insult right now, but I won't......... for now. :devil:

It's best if you don't.

Seems to me like a lot in a lot of the Harry Potter signature editions, the celeste plays where it isn't supposed to play, like on bar 116 of Hedwig's Theme and throughout a lot of the beginning of Fawkes the Phoenix. In Fawkes, you can barely hear the celeste as it plays the swirling string line and most definitely hear it as you reach bar 30 where the strings take over the melody. It's not written, but it's heard

Also in Fawkes, does it sound like a trumpet echoing the oboe solo in measure 17? It is written to be played by the oboe again, but it sounds like it has the edge of a trumpet

omg. dotdotdot. sigh. well this is a very interesting post. tho i would argue that e is far more valuable than pi. i never have to use pi regularly, but i'm always working with e and ln.