The Lord of the Rings Symphony - San Francisco - July 14&15 2006

Two things:

First, is anyone here going to this? I'm not the biggest fan of the soundtrack but the trilogy was so good, I can't miss this.

Second, I was fiddling around on my synthesizer and I noticed that the main Ring theme is essentially the same as the Urukhai theme (I think that's the one, real heavy). They use the same notes, just a slightly different order, and octaves apart. Anyone else notice this?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the Des Moines Symphony performance. It was better than on the soundtrack simply because of the clearness and crispness of the sound... and the experience of hearing music you know (of this caliber) performed by amazing professionals is just awesome.

Second, I was fiddling around on my synthesizer and I noticed that the main Ring theme is essentially the same as the Urukhai theme (I think that's the one, real heavy).  They use the same notes, just a slightly different order, and octaves apart.  Anyone else notice this?

Well, Shore's LOTR themes are all related, to a degree that's closer to Wagner's Ring des Nibelungen than most things you'll find. That's one of the great strengths of the scores, and a major achievement, though one many here choose to ignore. It's not Williams-type themes - they're big, easily recogniseable, and wonderful in their own way, but Shore's thematic complex has a different dimension to it that in this way is mostly absent from Williams' scores. Which is why Williams was great for Star Wars, and Shore was great for LOTR. 8O

God, I wish I could have gone, but I didn't hear about the LotR Symphony until after it was performed in Atlanta.

Second, I was fiddling around on my synthesizer and I noticed that the main Ring theme is essentially the same as the Urukhai theme (I think that's the one, real heavy). They use the same notes, just a slightly different order, and octaves apart. Anyone else notice this?

After thinking about it, I think you mean the Mordor theme (not sure if that's the official name). I never noticed the similarity before.

fsb

After thinking about it, I think you mean the Mordor theme (not sure if that's the official name). I never noticed the similarity before.

Maybe...On the Two Towers soundtrack, at 2:24 on track 5 The Uruk-hai you can hear it. I absolutely love both those themes. The Rohan theme is great too.

BTW I really want to hear Gollum's song live. Like, really, really bad.

Okay, I listened to it, and at 2:24 is the Uruk-hai theme, so you were right :thumbup: . But I still think the Mordor theme (which is right before the Uruk-hai on that track) sounds more like the One Ring. Oh well, maybe all the evil/badguy themes are related.

The Rohan theme is awesome. I feel like I've been ripped off since it's not on "The Fields of the Pelennor" from RotK.

fsb

Okay, I listened to it, and at 2:24 is the Uruk-hai theme, so you were right  :thumbup: .  But I still think the Mordor theme (which is right before the Uruk-hai on that track) sounds more like the One Ring.  Oh well, maybe all the evil/badguy themes are related.

The Rohan theme is awesome.  I feel like I've been ripped off since it's not on "The Fields of the Pelennor" from RotK.

fsb

Good call! I never even thought about the Mordor theme, but you're right. Cool.

The Rohan theme is awesome.  I feel like I've been ripped off since it's not on "The Fields of the Pelennor" from RotK.

It's popped up in a video game, and some fans have edited the full version of that track, I believe.

But all you need is a little patience until the Complete Recordings come out.

Okay, I listened to it, and at 2:24 is the Uruk-hai theme, so you were right  :joy: .  But I still think the Mordor theme (which is right before the Uruk-hai on that track) sounds more like the One Ring.  Oh well, maybe all the evil/badguy themes are related.

I noticed the Mordor theme after fiddling around on my piano with Chris Afonso's transcriptions of RotK. I was so excited at the thought. The melody is almost identical, yet the rhythm, harmony and orchestration paint an entirely different picture. It's this dimension of Shore's music that is the most rewarding, as it's not apparent straight away.

I saw it twice with the Philadelphia Orchestra. The soloist, whose name escapes me at the moment, was mic'd very low, and she was difficult to hear when the full orchestra and choir was behind her. My favorite moment durning "Forth Eorlingas", which was originally scored for a solo boy's voice, was almost inaudible :P

The second time around was better, though. I guess they learned from their mistake ;)

Tim

We went down to Atlanta for the concert a couple years back. Shore himself conducted it, and it was great! He doesn't use a baton to conduct, just hands. Sissel was our soloist. Hearing the "Beacon Scene" (track 4 from RotK) played live was amazing. I waited around over an hour after the concert to meet Howard Shore, so that made the night even better.