Read this...and tremble

Read this and marvel at the sheer stupidity of mankind.

I'm not usually one to complain about every person who dislikes Williams or at every tiny bit of misinformation. But the amount of insanity in these few posts is truly mindboggling.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harry Potter?

by - slthomas1 (Sat Apr 15 2006 09:51:17 )

Ignore this User | Report Abuse Reply

Is it just me, or does the music in Hook remaing anyone else of the music in Harry Potter? I swear there are some parts that sound absolutely identical to the HP theme

Re: Harry Potter?

by - 501legion (Sat Apr 15 2006 10:30:54 )

It could be possible, i mean i havent heard anything similar to the HP theme but the music was made by John Williams, of Star Wars,Hook, and Harry Potter fame.

by - Starlit1111 (Sat Apr 15 2006 11:58:19 )

It does remind me a bit of Harry Potter. That's because (like 501legion said) John Williams wrote the music for both movies. You will find that that is common with a lot of composers. Hans Zimmer also has a lot of similar sounding films, Listen to pirates of the caribbean, the Rock, and parts of The Gladiator soundtracks they're almost identical.

by - slthomas1 (Sat Apr 15 2006 16:51:55 )

Thanks! :thumbup:

by - BANG-A-RANG (Mon Apr 17 2006 03:08:29 )

john williams rules.

he did hook, jaws, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Back to the Future, Godfather, Jurassic Park, etc

mostly all spielberg movies he did

by - vdiddy123 (Mon May 29 2006 14:40:54 )

loove john williams.. to me the hook songs sounded more like star wars and jurassic park and a mixutre of the 3 is stuck in my head and i cant stop humming lol

by - sweetvalley138 (Sun Jun 4 2006 20:26:26 )

Thats because John Williams scored both movies. I read somewhere (probably from imdb). That when Williams scored the newest Star Wars movie, in the ending scene when Obi-Wan gives baby Luke to his uncle and aunt Williams used the same music he used in the scene in Harry Potter when Hagrid drops of baby Harry and puts him on the Dursleys doorstep. So it is very possible he used music from Hook in Harry Potter.

by - blackfilmfan05 (Wed Jun 7 2006 12:51:35 )

Alan Silvestri actually did back to the future but it is a common misconception

Nino Rota did Godfather.

by - BANG-A-RANG (Wed Jun 21 2006 09:06:25 )

i got told that john williams helped out on the godfather?

by - spam-136 (Sat Jul 1 2006 09:56:31 )

John Williams did not score Back to the Future nor The Godfather. Those were Alan Silvestri and Nino Rota, respectively.

by - passionate_dumbass (Tue Jun 27 2006 09:17:53 )

Actually, Pirates was scored by Klaus Badelt. Just so you know.

And yes John Williams rocks, but no one's mentioned my favourite score of his yet... Indiana Jones people! :)

by - enstar (Thu Jun 29 2006 07:23:14 )

My favourite John Williams score: Amistad.

by - tennisgurl714655 (Sat Jul 1 2006 11:25:53 )

that is so funny that you say that! The movie was just playing on TNT, and since i havent seen the movie in years I decided to watch it, as soon as some of the background music started playing I was instantly reminded of Harry Potter.

by - primusoneil (Fri Jul 7 2006 14:02:30 )

man i thought i was the only one who thought that

harry potter did ripp off some of the music i thought that the second i heard it

by - clauderouges75 6 days ago (Sat Jul 8 2006 15:16:41 )

In fact the music from Harry Potter reminds me Tchaikovsky...

by - Pranksta 4 days ago (Sun Jul 9 2006 19:08:57 )

Huh?

=)You've Been Punk'd=)

Wow, I like saying that!

by - alohapigeon 2 days ago (Wed Jul 12 2006 07:14:16 )

There are some exact melodies from the Star Wars love theme in this movie. Then I was like, "Oh, its probably John Williams!" Because he re-uses a lot of random themes in different movies

Thanks for the copy and paste Indiana_Fett.

Hmm, a tremble Marian? More like have a damn siezure.

People actually though Williams wrote Back To The Future? That's laughable.

As far as the Hook sound like Harry Potter....NOT in the least bit!

Have you been reeding robthehand's signatures? Those are worse.

This is very true! I just laugh at those.

People actually though Williams wrote Back To The Future?  That's laughable.

It's probably the most common miscredit of Williams I've seen.

Either Back to the Future or the Zelda theme.

But that thread's pretty low on the stupid scale. Most of them are just ignorant. This is real stupidity (not like anyone needed a reminder):

Howard Shore copys himself all the time - I mean, in Return of the King, when they go back to Rohan, it's the EXACT SAME SONG playing as in the Two Towers - what the hell?????? It's not even the same film.... come on, come up with something original!!!!!

:thumbup:

I didn't see anything too laughable in the IMDB thread. It's just nice to see people discussing music for a change. Back to the Future theme DOES sound very Williams-esque (that whole lydian mode thing), so that's no big deal IMO. The Godfather, now that's an odd one I'll grant you, but then John Williams ripped off Nino Rota's style himself when he scored Monsignor. It's all apples and oranges.

Yes they are ignorant, but is it really stupidity? Watch your arrogance.

Can anyone tell me who was the cinematographer for The Godfather without looking it up? :thumbup:

Of course, the fact that they're debating who scored what...on the largest database of movie info...does make it quite laughable.

Of course, the fact that they're debating who scored what...on the largest database of movie info...does make it quite laughable.

That's something I always find very odd.

- Marc, who'd have to look up the DP for The Godfather... and would use IMDB

EDIT: Damn, I should have known that. It was Gordon Willis.

- Marc, who had memorized that at some point, mainly because of the cinematography on The Godfather part II.

Howard Shore copys himself all the time - I mean, in Return of the King, when they go back to Rohan, it's the EXACT SAME SONG playing as in the Two Towers - what the hell?????? It's not even the same film.... come on, come up with something original!!!!!

The thing about that IMDb thread that really got was that apparently, *many* people believe that it's a *common* thing for *all* film composers to regularly re-use their exact same cues from older scores for newer movies.

I found that really sad.

The thing about that IMDb thread that really got was that apparently, *many* people believe that it's a *common* thing for *all* film composers to regularly re-use their exact same cues from older scores for newer movies.

They don't even consider the possibility that Peter Jackson might have pulled a George Lucas and tracked music from the previous films into the scene.

As far as the Hook sound like Harry Potter....NOT in the least bit!

And I can honestly say that my first impression of HP was that it sounded similar to Hook (Hook-Napped in particular), but not exact.

People actually though Williams wrote Back To The Future?  That's laughable.

It's probably the most common miscredit of Williams I've seen.

I suppose so.

Yes they are ignorant, but is it really stupidity? Watch your arrogance.  

Well, you know how the old saying goes, "Ignorance is bliss."

I found that really sad.  

Indeed and I agree with you on this.

Can anyone tell me who was the cinematographer for The Godfather without looking it up?  

Why, that's Gordon Willis - or The 'Prince Of Darkness' as they call him.

Wait -- has this been answered already? Crap!!! :oops:

And I can honestly say that my first impression of HP was that it sounded similar to Hook (Hook-Napped in particular), but not exact.

Well, aside from the obvious Kevin-related bits, Hook also has some parts of underscore (pretty much all missing from the CD I think) which already sound very much like TPM. Just like Last Crusade already has plenty of hints to later scores. You can often trace certain approaches through scores from many years apart. :thumbup:

Of course, only in few cases do they actually sound more or less the same (like Desert Chase being reworked into Escape from Venice and later making an appearance in Hook... or that rather annoying zombie called Ludlow).

Not forgetting the celeste-driven Prologue from Harry Potter being similar to the opening of Hook. Williams pulls the same stunt in the earlier Home Alone also. This is to capture the feeling of either magic, or Christmas depending on the context of the images onscreen. Of course this is thanks to Tchaikovsky's Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy. It's even in the same key! E-minor.

Well, aside from the obvious Kevin-related bits, Hook also has some parts of underscore (pretty much all missing from the CD I think) which already sound very much like TPM. Just like Last Crusade already has plenty of hints to later scores. You can often trace certain approaches through scores from many years apart. :thumbup:

Of course, only in few cases do they actually sound more or less the same (like Desert Chase being reworked into Escape from Venice and later making an appearance in Hook... or that rather annoying zombie called Ludlow).

You can read all about Hook's relation to other scores at the filmtracks.com Hook page.

Can anyone tell me who was the cinematographer for The Godfather without looking it up? :)

Gordon Willis. :thumbup: Honest. I didnt look it up. I enjoy good photography. lol:

Burga - who has trouble remembering more exotic names though

Hehe, read this. The first part of it is in my signature.

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0002354/board/nest/45959068

all of his main themes sound the same!!!! superman & indiana jones are the same

it's sad, but true. harry potter and home alone are the same. and i think that he should give more credit to his orchesrators. because the piano, PIANO sheet music that he writes is rather lacking in dept and the normal big sound of his finished scores.

man, you are so right!
glad you agree! most other fans are disgrunteled at my observation
the piano music is arranged by professional arrangers from the orchestral scores... and yes often they suck... however the piano arrangements are not john williams' original writing.
That's an odd comment, as John Williams himself largely orchestrates most of his music himself. His composing sketches are extremely detailed, and he usually leaves very little creative choices to his orchestrators. In many ways (and not to take any credit away from the extremely talented orchestrators that he uses), but when they are working for John Williams, they are often times employed as glorified music copyists, essentially transferring a 12 stave fully detailed orchestration into a full orchestral score page.

As far as the pieces sounding the same, I think I can interpret what you mean in a overall sense, but all of those scores are completely different, and they are all unbelievable scores in their own right. I guess the best way to support that would be to ask, if they all sound the same, then why do each of the themes stand completely distinguished on their own among the most recognizable and distinctive music themes in the history of film music? If you hear the theme for Superman, I'm certain you are not going to think that Indiana Jones is around the corner.

Unbelievable props are due to John Williams. The man is giant in film music, and I feel we are lucky to be alive at a time when he's alive and actively writing for film.

the only piece of music that williams has ever made it easy to transcribe was the schindlers list score. and it went strait from the the piano sheet music to the orchestra. I've had the extream pleasure of meeting Williams in person. it was an assingment for college to arrange a famous piece of film music. I choose to do the 20th century fox logo (also by williams) i had to go to the production companies music filles to find the origonal sheet music. i bumped into him and we started talking. afer i told him what i was there to do, he said something like "don't stray to far from the origonal orchestraion, i like what he did." and when i saw the music that williams actualy wrote himself, i was very disapointed. and when i comes to the themes sounding the same, i was referring to the structure of the score, and more on the music theory side. Listen to the two themes back to back, you will notice a lot of simolarities between them. not necisarily the actualy melody (which is kind of close) but the way that the pice flows, the chords played. every john williams piece startes out with some sort of contiuing fan fair. you'll see.
Actually, the 20th century Fox Logo Fanfare was written by Alfred Newman in the 40´s...
...and maybe before you come on the board and criticize the person that the board is about, you should learn how to spell.

Anyway, I agree with alriviera. And no offence ZachGroom but you should try to do a little research before you write something so offensive.

check your facts, it was williams. and i'm sorry that i cant spell. and im not criticizing him, im just stating an observaion.

p.s. go to hell

Anyone who thinks John Williams wrote the Twentieth Century-Fox Fanfare (by Alfred Newman) is far too ignorant to be banging away on a keyboard. Stop now, before ZachGroom becomes another Thesaurus entry under "idiot."
I HATE YOU. THE THOUGHT OF YOU MAKES ME WANT TO VOMIT AND KILL MYSELF!

p.s. i love you

Well, no one can claim that you're schizo.
oh. cool id like to talk more. you seem really into music =) p.s. im not crazy
I don't feel that Williams scores are the same, beside from that one bit of music in both "Ther Terminal" and Catch me if you can" that is exactly the same. I think it was intentional on his part.
Anyone who thinks all Williams' music is the same has clearly only listened to Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Superman etc. etc.

If you had any knowledge of Williams' other, different works, you'd realise just how wrong you are.

i have listened to almos every score that he has done.

schidlers list

star wars (all)

indiana jones

superman

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

jaws

catch me if you can

the patriot

minority report

war of the worlds

memars of a geshia

munich

just to list a few

And you think The Empire Strikes Back is very similar to Memoirs of a Geisha?

and the discussion went on....

Well, aside from the obvious Kevin-related bits, Hook also has some parts of underscore (pretty much all missing from the CD I think) which already sound very much like TPM. Just like Last Crusade already has plenty of hints to later scores. You can often trace certain approaches through scores from many years apart. :)

Of course, only in few cases do they actually sound more or less the same (like Desert Chase being reworked into Escape from Venice

Isnt it Desert chase -> belly of the steel best and/or The pen is mightier than the sword?

Well, some parts do sound similar.

But pish posh, it's still a great score.

Indeed. It's classic Williams through and through. Why that merits such criticism, even from quite a few here, is beyond me.

When I was 10 or 11, I remember hearing the music for Harry Potter and saying 'Doesn't that sound like Home Alone? Maybe it's the same writer or something.' I'm glad I gave composer enough credit to not completely rip themselves off from score to score.

P.S. The guy who said Williams always sounds the same just got majorly owned.

The main critique from many here when The Philosophers Stone was released was that parts sounded very much like Hook.

I guess we are no better.

At least we can spell...

The main critique from many here when The Philosophers Stone was released was that parts sounded very much like Hook.

I guess we are no better.

At least we can spell...

Absollutely.

Has anyone noticed the similarity between The Droid Invasion (Phantom Menace) and Belly of the Steel Beast (The Last Crusade)?

ZachGroom lost any credibility he might have had when he started talking about the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

Re: all the same

by - PMuhs (Tue Jun 20 2006 12:16:53 )

Can you show me, where it says that the fanfare was written by Williams? I am a big Williams and a big Newman fan, and it is a matter of fact, that Newman wrote the fanfare in the forties. As much as I am sorry to be right, but that´s the way it is.

by - rorysa (Tue Jun 20 2006 13:59:51 )

There isn't a debate about this subject. Newman wrote the first half of "Fanfare" about '40 and its Cinemascope Tag about '53. Williams was born in '32.

by - Odnurega-1 (Wed Jun 21 2006 09:33:32 )

A great score by Williams is "Empire of the Sun". I think that it is one of his that sound onthing like his other works.

Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

by - Tsihvola (Wed Jun 21 2006 20:01:51 )

Saying so does not make it so, and saying something this odd makes it just sad to agree

by - Jesensky (Wed Jun 21 2006 21:11:56 )

Guys...he's trying to piss you all off. Have you read his posts? He clearly has never met Williams. He can claim he did till he's blue in the face. Why would he ever bump into Williams at 20th Century Fox? His office is at Universal...when he's not composing at home.

And any person who has LOOKED AT THE SHEET MUSIC for 20th Century Fox would have clearly noted that the composer was Newman...as it is written at the top right of the music......ignore them.

by - rorysa (Wed Jun 21 2006 21:43:11 )

UPDATED Wed Jun 21 2006 21:50:22

I'm waiting for him to tell us about reminiscing with John Williams about one of Williams' early pieces, "Jupiter Symphony."

by - Matt_Mosley (Thu Jun 22 2006 11:49:03 )

Bulls__t! The only thing simular is they're all perfromed with on classical instruments and they all kick-ass (except JAWS)

RHYS IFANS for THE JOKER in BATMAN 2

by - ZachGroom (Thu Jun 22 2006 16:14:08 )

the fact that you know this lets me know that you have no life

by - JurassicFish (Thu Jun 22 2006 16:47:12 )

He reinvents him self. yet retains his trademark sound Only Jerry Goldsmith could've done that and JW

James Horner's good. But he's retained the exact same sound since Braveheart.

"Welcome to Jurassic Park"

by - Jesensky (Thu Jun 22 2006 22:01:41 )

Or I have an IQ above that of a toaster. ALL music has the composer clearly listed at the top right. I would know as I'm...drumroll please for stupid people...a COMPOSER.

Secondly, all it takes is one interview seen with Williams to know he works at Universal. And that is all the arguing I will do on this one...simply because you are just a troll. Tata

by - ZachGroom (Fri Jun 23 2006 18:01:58 )

don't insult my intellegence. i am also a composer. i have rescored over 18 features and also write and direct. so before you start throwing around insults, i suggest you learn the pearson who you are insulting.

by - fearofamoose900-1 (Sat Jun 24 2006 21:39:03 )

screw you, why should we learn about your sad ass. i am also a composer and have written and transcribed many many musical scores, so we shouldn't have to learn about you, maybe everyone on this board is a composer, you don't know that they aren't! If you come on this board and say dumb stuff, and then yell at us for insulting your intelligence, if you don't want to be called stupid then don't write stupid stuff. Perhaps you should do a little more research about music if you are a "composer"!

by - ZachGroom (Sun Jun 25 2006 14:30:29 )

well. thats not very nice. my intelegance is none of your concern. if you think that my *sorry* ass needs to learn more about music, then in some aspects you are saddy mistaken. i know enough to out-compose you. but there is no one who can know all in music. even the great john williams. so maybe you should do a little more research. and since your are such a great composer who has written many many scores, tell me, what is tempo maping? or how about the minor triad of c natural? if i went from g to d what is that called? and if we shouldn't have to learn about me, then we most certianly should not have to learn about you. so go ahead, answer my questions, i dare you. :joy:

by - ZachGroom (Sun Jun 25 2006 14:43:24 )

p.s. thanks alot, i just burned my dinner writing this message.

by - rorysa (Sun Jun 25 2006 17:53:47 )

Were you making humble pie?

by - ZachGroom (Sun Jun 25 2006 17:57:56 )

nope. top raman. i'm very . =)

by - Jesensky (Mon Jun 26 2006 10:17:46 )

LOL...ok enough of this. It's like watching a circus now. Can we please just all ignore him and forget about this thread? It's like watching someone try to stump a math teacher by asking what 2+2 is.

:joy:

Man this ZachGroom is majorly mis-informed. He obviously knows very little about film score music if he truely believes that John Williams wrote the 20th Century Fox Fanfare. Everyone who knows something about film score music knows that Alfred Newman wrote it.

Hell even on the OT SE scores it says the composer of the 20th Century Fox Fanfare is Alfred Newman. The mentality of this guy though...whooo..he should get a darwin award for being very stupid.

Has anyone noticed the similarity between The Droid Invasion (Phantom Menace) and Belly of the Steel Beast (The Last Crusade)?

Very much so! I noticed it when I first heard the Phantom Menace music.

he should get a darwin award for being very stupid.

Darwin was far from a stupid man, he changed the very fabric of society and single handidly pulled us out of the darkness.

Remember that, next time you utter his name.

Actually, Steef... The Darwin Awards. It's a site that catalogues notoriously stupid/comical deaths. "We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it. Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously."

Isnt it Desert chase -> belly of the steel best and/or The pen is mightier than the sword?

I'm talking about the music for the fight on the motor boat. Sounds pretty much like it was composed with that propeller in mind, but of course it's originally from Raiders. :joy:

And "me too" about that blue something?

Yes they are ignorant, but is it really stupidity?  Watch your arrogance.  

Can anyone tell me who was the cinematographer for The Godfather without looking it up? :P

Gordon Williis, the prince of darkness himself...

The weird thing in my avatar...is...shewt I dunno what it is. It was just the next evolution in my personal logo. And now it's changed again.

ok I admit it. I posted that there to see what those freakin idiots would say.

and they bought the whole Hook sounds like HP except that Hook came first.

I knew I'd never get away with it here.

ok I admit it. I posted that there to see what those freakin idiots would say.

and they bought the whole Hook sounds like HP except that Hook came first.

I knew I'd never get away with it here.

Well, I guess you've further proved their stupidity.