What do composers and directors fall out over?

APBez

I mean specifically. What, for example, might "creative differences" mean in reality?

Of the break-ups we know about, what's been cited?

Interested.

APBez

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's usually an issue of trust. When a director refuses to allow the composer to be creative, they do not trust the composer enough. When the composer will not follow the wishes of the director, they don't trust the director enough.

Usually it is that the director or studio is not willing to trust the composer because they want exactly what's on the temp track, though... Its a rare composer that won't try his hardest to please the director based on the conversations they have. Artistic integrity comes into play when a director asks a composer to copy a temp track. The composer could throw away his credibility as an artist if he obeys such wishes. Imagine if someone hired Anthony Hopkins and asked him to do an impression of Jim Carrey, just because they wanted that Jim Carrey style that was so popular in his last movie. No self respecting actor would go along with it unless there was some artistic reason to do so.

But for the original Star Wars, didn't John Williams imitate a lot of the music used in the temp tracks? I've read somewhere that Lucas used Dvorak, Holst, and other composers' music as the original SW temp track, and you can definitely hear the influence in the score. But I'd say that that was GOOD thing (I also tend to think that Williams is an extremely cooperative, humble artist).

The reason for music in movies is because _it's what the director wants_ , let's never forget that ROTFLMAO

Sometimes what the director wants is not always what he hears during the recording, and being artists, those musicians will fight for their ideology and sometimes just aren't able or willing to give the director what he requires.

Case in point: Danny Elfman and Sam Raimi.

Tim

Raimi reportedly called Elfman a big old bed-wetting doody head. Elfman responded with "how appropriate, you fight like a cow."

But imagine, a director gives a composer free hand. He composes something what he finds appropriate for the movie and this is approved by the director. Then we - the fans - start bashing the music, the composer and the director for not going along the lines or for not sounding like typical Hollywood score and so on. "Brockeback Mountain" is one of such examples ROTFLMAO .

PS. I am still pissed that "MoaG" didn't win the Oscar.

Don't forget the PRODUCER(s). So sometimes the composer not only has to please the director - but also one or more producers - who might not even agree with the director. It's a tough business of compromise, often...

Tim

Case in point: Bernard Herrmann and myself. :P

But imagine, a director gives a composer free hand. He composes something what he finds appropriate for the movie and this is approved by the director. Then we - the fans - start bashing the music, the composer and the director for not going along the lines or for not sounding like typical Hollywood score and so on. "Brockeback Mountain" is one of such examples  :P .

PS. I am still pissed that "MoaG" didn't win the Oscar.

I don't think anybody bashed that movie for it's different kind of music, just that it wasn't appropriate for an award in that category.

Bennie was smart to jump ship when he did.

Herrmann didn't jump ship. Hitch wanted a more modern sound.

After which Herrmann jumped ship, refusing to "deface his music".

Why you ask?

Stupidity on both parts, A director refusing to stand up fo his film, neither person will give in insisting their way is the right way, someone else on the production team thinks they know more about film music, the composer doesn't get it right, the director is musically deaf and finally studio interference.

Peter Jackson and Howard shore for King Kong?

They didn't have a falling-out. They just mutually agreed on King Kong.

Tim

Just thought I'd put this information on this thread. At the San Diego Comic Con, on the Spider-man 3 panel, Raimi was asked about the music, and Raimi said that he would love for Elfman to come back...that he wants Elfman to come back because he's part of the universe of Spider-man now, and since Christopher Young is attached, perhaps they will team up.

I doubt that that will happen, due to Elfman's animosity right now because of his experience on the second film.

Tim

I think Elfman once replied to the question "will you ever work with Sam Raimi again" with "not if I can help it."

I believe it was the interview he did with the Suicide Girls website.

Tim