CBS News composer rips off JW and Meet The Press

Eric_JWFAN

Anyone notice this? The first 8 notes of CBS News theme are *exactly* the same as the main motif from Meet The Press, both rhythmically and melodically with one exception: Meet The Press is in C minor and CBS's is C major.

Assuming you know what the main melody of Meet The Press sounds like, but here's the CBS one I am talking about. Do the link and underneath the picture and the poll click on "Watch Video: Cursing Caught on Tape". (There's a commercial before it starts)

http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/bush-...S00010000000001

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity... is there like ... an organization that keeps an eye out for this stuff? ...You know? Watching to make sure people don't compose stuff that is exactly the same... there should be...

Just out of curiosity... is there like ... an organization that keeps an eye out for this stuff? ...You know? Watching to make sure people don't compose stuff that is exactly the same... there should be...

I don't know really. But despite the obvious similarities, the difference of major vs minor, as well as the different orchestration and tempo make these two melodies appear more different than they truly are, and this probably helps avoid any copyright infringement. Stylistically they are obviously very different.

With that said, the changing of one single note (C to a C flat) would make these two themes start off musically and rhythmically identical, and no amount of orchestration change would be able to hide that imo.

Funny you bring this topic up. Yesterday I was on iTunes listening to the Main Title from Iron Will, composed by Joel McNeely. It's an entertaining track, but from seconds 0:16 to 0:30 there is a HUGE rip-off of Indy's First Adventure.

Just watched the clip. The CBS one sounds way too similar to be just a coincidence. I never noticed it before, mainly because I don't watch the news, so good catch, Eric!

Just watched the clip. The CBS one sounds way too similar to be just a coincidence. I never noticed it before, mainly because I don't watch the news, so good catch, Eric!

well it can easily be a coincidence. the problem with music is that there is only 11 notes, and so many rhythms. there's been ALOT of music written over the ages so it is VERY easy to write something that sounds like something you've heard before. For instance, i was doing variations on Joy to the World. I used the C B A G motif, but delayed the resolution by putting A on the downbeat. i also added a small echappe on the B before doing the AG. It turned out that these 5 notes were the same idea as Brahm's First, 4th movement with the chorale bit. the rhythm was almost the same. for brahms, half, quart, quart, quart, dot half. i did half, dot quart, eigth, quart, dot half (very sim to Jtotheworld rhythm). so ya.

there's been ALOT of music written over the ages so it is VERY easy to write something that sounds like something you've heard before.

If this 8 note motif was similar to one of the thousands of symphonic works written over the last few hundred years, maybe then it could be considered an accident. Afterall, we can't expect today's composers to be aware of every single piece of music ever composed. But when those 8 notes are just like another news theme, I don't think it can be considered an accident.

the problem with music is that there is only 11 notes

12 notes actually. :P

If this 8 note motif was similar to one of the thousands of symphonic works written over the last few hundred years, maybe then it could be considered an accident. Afterall, we can't expect today's composers to be aware of every single piece of music ever composed.  But when those 8 notes are just like another news theme, I don't think it can be considered an accident.

Thank you. :P

the problem with music is that there is only 11 notes

12 notes actually. :sleepy:

Good point. :D can't count.

Pfft, I'll go to the grave before I recognise Db as a note!

what! how can u diss Db?! that is my favourite note actually. of all notes i love Db the most and hate F#. Db is the most mellow IMO and F# is so sharp and poignant. anyone else notice this?

Pfft, I'll go to the grave before I recognise Db as a note!

what! how can u diss Db?! that is my favourite note actually. of all notes i love Db the most and hate F#. Db is the most mellow IMO and F# is so sharp and poignant. anyone else notice this?

Beyond the joke, I also love Db, although mostly because of its lovely intrinsic dissonance to the familiar C Major. Same with F#

Not to mention that the theme from MEET THE PRESS sounds very much like the Catalunian Christmas classic "Fum, fum, fum"

Not to mention that the theme from MEET THE PRESS sounds very much like the catalunian Christmas classic "Fum, fum, fum"

You know i never knew it was from catalonian origins...

You can learn new things everyday :|

Not to mention that the theme from MEET THE PRESS sounds very much like the Catalunian Christmas classic "Fum, fum, fum"

You know i never knew it was from catalonian origins...

You can learn new things everyday :)

One should always learn about their own country/culture.