If you could spend a day observing JW work..

AI

what would you like to observe?  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• Composing a score in his office
    • Recording a score in a studio
    • Spotting a new film with Spielberg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably be lounging seductively on his Steinway piano the way Michelle Pffeiffer did on THE FABULOUS BAKER BOYS and studying his finger movements.

I dont want to see JW writing and scribbling notes on paper for hours and watching Spielberg and Williams discuss where to put what in the movie doesnt sound to exciting. Recording sessions however....well, its JW...conducting...live. Nuff said. :)

Watch him composing (at piano presumably). Therefore I could compare those processes to the final product. What goes on in the recording sessions, although fascinating, would be easily deduced by the differences between composition steps and the CD.

Why isn't there a video available of this sort of thing?

Spielberg has taped every recording session he's been to, ask him :)

Recording sessions, obviously. You get moments of Williams composing (when he has to change some bits around) and you get moments of Williams and the director "re-spotting" bits of film. And of course, you get the music.

I dunno... I've seen video clips of his recording sessions, but I haven't really seen him at work at his office. Plus, I think I'd have more of an opportunity to ask him questions/pester him in that setting, heh.

I'm sure Williams would be delighted at the thought of someone sitting there looking over his shoulder while he was composing.

:P

I'm sure Williams would be delighted at the thought of someone sitting there looking over his shoulder while he was composing.   :P

Someone like Zimmer, for example. ;)

All three would be a delight to watch, but my vote goes for composing. I need to see where the music comes from! Recording would be fun to watch as well because I'm a musician and I'd love to see the way he works with some of the best in the field. BUT--there's video of this available for a number of films, and I feel like what I've seen is probably as interesting as it gets. The spotting session would also be interesting to watch, but spotting isn't the tricky part of the creative process. The composition is, I'm sure, by far the most difficult of these three steps and therefore the one I want to know most about. I've tried composing here and there, and it ain't easy to pull music out of thin air. I'd really like to see the way Mr. Williams does it with such consistently enjoyable results.

Well, I've been convinced by everyone's replies that the recording sessions would be the most fun. Still, it'd be amazing to just sit and observe him compose on the piano...it's not quite the same thing, but on the E.T. special features when he plays the piano for Spielberg, I get goosebumps. It's just electrifying.

Ray Barnsbury

Recording sessions for sure! I never get tired of seeing him conduct, and I personally am more interested to see how music and image match up together. And I'd much prefer to listen to an entire orchestra than just a piano.

I'm sure Williams would be delighted at the thought of someone sitting there looking over his shoulder while he was composing.   :)

Someone like Zimmer, for example. :P

The power coming from Williams' composing skills would simply crush Zimmer's mind.

Well, I've been convinced by everyone's replies that the recording sessions would be the most fun.  Still, it'd be amazing to just sit and observe him compose on the piano...it's not quite the same thing, but on the E.T. special features when he plays the piano for Spielberg, I get goosebumps.  It's just electrifying.

Ray Barnsbury

OMG!!! I'm watching the E.T. 20th Anniversary thingie with the John Williams performing live...yea I'm good at explaining, but is that on the two discs collectors edition for the 20th Anniversary.

Anyway I choose D all the above.

Recording sessions for sure! I never get tired of seeing him conduct, and I personally am more interested to see how music and image match up together. And I'd much prefer to listen to an entire orchestra than just a piano.

hmmm how cool would it be to get the recording sessions? i could ask around; i might be able to get it. does anyone know if the people that recorded it are allowed to set up video cameras? i dont know what the contract rules are in the states. But, if they are, i might be able to get you all something:).

Composing. That's what I wanna do, and to learn how to do it from the Maestro... woah! I wouldn't be bored. I'd just watch for however long it took. I'd even go and get him his coffee or beer or whatever he wanted (assuming I were to do this after my next birthday).

~Conor