And the new Joker (for Batman 2) is...

robthehand

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be a mistake............that came way out of left field. Can't picture Brokeback Heath following up Jack Nicholson's performance.............can't even hear him pulling off a good maniacal laugh..........what a crock of $#@!

I love Jack, and he (to me) is the Joker, so I think Nolan would be wise to try and create a very different type of Joker - perhaps more like the comic book Joker, and the one voiced by Mark Hamill. I think Ledger's an interesting choice, and risky enough that he probably wouldn't have been chosen unless he really could play the part (if that makes sense), so I'd like to see what he makes of the role.

- Rob, who thinks BB2 might well be the best superhero film of all time... :D

I can see it working. I don't know anything about Heath Ledger's acting ability (only seen two of his movies, and neither recently), but the look isn't that far off. I just hope the boy can cackle.

/desperately hoping for a Hamill-esque performance.

It's already been made, and it's called Superman- The Movie. :)

I'm with robthehand on this one. Batman Begins is better movie in almost every way, not that they can really be compared. But in a very basic sense, Superman: the Movie is very good entertainment, fun and campy, but it lacks the cohesiveness of Batman Begins, which accomplishes so much in its 140 minute running time. It explores its hero, tells a complex story, juggles many plotlines and characters, and does it all seemingly easily and remains incredibly focused. It's a finely assembled movie and a brilliantly told story with depth, emotion, and resonance.

Ted

I actually like Superman more than Batman Begins. But I just have this feeling that Batman Begins + The Joker will be the best a comic-book film can be.

I actually like Superman more than Batman Begins. But I just have this feeling that Batman Begins + The Joker will be the best a comic-book film can be.

Ah. My apologies. I misread your comments above.

Ted

I'm with Ted on this one, Batman Begins set a new standard for quality in this type of movies. Although Superman really has to be more campy than Batman, Batman Begins had a way of taking itself seriously without ever being presumptuous. Great acting, great cinematography, great pace and great dialogue.

As for Heath Ledger, it's a choice I would find really apropriate. I do think he has genuine talent. If Nolan has indeed chosen him, I will trust his istintcs. I really like when they cast these actors agains type.

I cant see how a 'cuteface' could become joker...

As i said Mark Hamill should have the honor of personificating him, since he is the voice of the cartoons.

mark_joker.jpg

I concur with Mister Skywalker. I'm not saying this as a Star Wars or superhero fan (Haven't seen Batman Begins or Superman Returns and don't plan on it) but if Hamill were cast as Joker, I'd see the film just for the sake of seeing Mark Hamill as the Joker!

Mark Hamill has himself said that he is much better with voice acting than with physycal acting and he would suck as Joker. I think he could pull it off, thouugh.

The critique of ledger being too pretty makes no sense whatsoever to me. First of all, it's a role that envolves lots of make up...secondly, the Joker doesn't have to be ugly, just disturbing.

As good as Sky... I mean Hamill's Joker voice was, it was just his voice. He's just not physically right for the part.

I just think they are pulling a 'lets get the new cool famous star' for this movie.

I doubt it. They only did that with one actress in Batman Begins (Holmes) and they now publically regret doing that, so I doubt they'd sink to that level again. If Ledger is the pick, it was because they felt he would bring the most to the table. Look at what they did with Batman Begins, with a magnificent ensemble cast. They took Batman Begins seriously and I doubt they'd decide to make the sequel some hunk-o-rama. I doubt Ledger is their pick, but if he is, I'm shocked to admit that this is the first movie I'm actually going to feel confident the makers made the right choice.

I think they are pulling a 'Let's get a good actor' for this movie, as they have done for every role except Katie Holmes, which Vaderbait1 already commented on.

Ted

It's already been made, and it's called Superman- The Movie. :wave:

I'm with robthehand on this one. Batman Begins is better movie in almost every way, not that they can really be compared. But in a very basic sense, Superman: the Movie is very good entertainment, fun and campy, but it lacks the cohesiveness of Batman Begins, which accomplishes so much in its 140 minute running time. It explores its hero, tells a complex story, juggles many plotlines and characters, and does it all seemingly easily and remains incredibly focused. It's a finely assembled movie and a brilliantly told story with depth, emotion, and resonance.

Ted

Batman Begins is the better movie if you look at it that way but I feel there is a certain magic captured in Superman: The Movie which no other superhero movie has quite managed yet (except for maybe Superman II). Yes its far more flawed than BB but somehow, the lovable performances, the reverential tone, the way it treats its story as a legend, the iconic images (by this i mean binary sunset iconic ;)) and of course the awesome music more than papers over any cracks and somehow elevates the movie above every other contender in its genre. :P

It's nostalgia. Superman: The Movie really isn't that good when stacked against films such as the original Batman, X2, or Batman Begins, but like you said, there is that magic of having grown up with it that keeps it levels above where it should be.

I didn't grow up with Superman - The Movie - so there's no nostalgia factor for me. I still like it more than any of the others you mentioned. 8O

Same here. You cant break down Superman: The Movie into its elements and criticize it or make a one to one comparison with others. Superman: The Movie is a movie that should have never worked...on paper that is.

I totally agree. The film up until Lois' rescue is simply great. From that moment on, it just becomes silly, pointless, cheesy and full of plot holes.

With Superman - The Movie (for me, at least), it's that the first half is pretty-much perfect, while the second half is merely very, very, very god.

Superman is a really fun, campy entertainment. And when it comes to that kind of film, Raiders of the Lost Ark beats it into the ground.

Ted

Yeah, it was one of those few times when the climax of a film is actually worse than the beginning.

I have to disagree with that. I often see movies which start out great and end in a mess. I consider the whole "exposition=bad" business a myth. For me, well-done expositions are fabulous, often most interesting and charming part of a movie. The problem is that many movies combine well-done expositions which drag you into the plot with over-the-top finales.

With Superman - The Movie (for me, at least), it's that the first half is pretty-much perfect, while the second half is merely very, very, very god.

So god is imperfect? *ducksandruns*

:) Gremlins 2 (Jerry Goldsmith)

See, I love over the top finales. In everything. From music to books to movies, I love a powerful (though not necessarily epic) finale. Even most bad movies have decent endings. In Superman, it's like they made this great movie and then someone on drugs came in and in a day or two just smashed together an ending.

You mean the turning back the world scene? The point of that wasn't the story as such, or the fact that he was saving Lois particularly, the point was that he was disobeying his father's instructions - his purpose, if you like. Well that's what I thought, anyway. 8O

That is the 1 thing I never liked about Superman: TM. If he could turn back time, then why not do it every time the bad guys did something REALLY bad? All the Superman: The Movie worshippers have seemed to just look ove that plothole. Othe than that, it's one of the best comic book movies of all time (thanks to, ehem, our JTW's score).

Plus, I'm curious how the Donner cut of Superman 2 is gonna' be. I always liked 2 better than 1 (in most regards) so I can't wait to see what the original version was going to be like (er, what they can sort of, kinda' get it to what they were intending). :)

That is the 1 thing I never liked about Superman: TM. If he could turn back time, then why not do it every time the bad guys did something REALLY bad? All the Superman: The Movie worshippers have seemed to just look ove that plothole. Othe than that, it's one of the best comic book movies of all time (thanks to, ehem, our JTW's score).

Well, I think most of us who like it find it overlook-able because of the sheer amount of goodwill built up in the viewer by the film in the run up to that sequence. :)

• 2 years later...

I've never seen Nicholson play the Joker...but Ledger was outstanding! I was thinking it all throughout the movie how impressive he was. I've never really heard of Ledger before he died except as one of those gay fellas in brokeback. However, I was insanely impressed but Ledger he really captured that maniacal quality and that insanity of the Joker.

Must be a mistake............that came way out of left field. Can't picture Brokeback Heath following up Jack Nicholson's performance.............can't even hear him pulling off a good maniacal laugh..........what a crock of $#@!

I'm sure this guy is embarrassed.

I'm sure this guy is embarrassed.

I was just laughing my butt off as well.

So what? He made his opinion. I'm sure if I looked I could find plenty of silly/idiotic statements by most of you, to include myself.

Tim Burton's Batman was a different style and required a different Joker. I think Nicholson was great in his film just as Ledger appears to be in this film.

So what? He made his opinion. I'm sure if I looked I could find plenty of silly/idiotic statements by most of you, to include myself.

Tim Burton's Batman was a different style and required a different Joker. I think Nicholson was great in his film just as Ledger appears to be in this film.

Agreed.

I would even go so far as to say that there are certain small nuances that are reminiscent of Nicholson's Joker, and I say that not to down Ledger, who absolutely nailed the role, but to applaud Nicholson's performance, because for that film, he nailed the Joker, I think, and there are certain elements of both performances that are shared simply because there is a certain "Essence of Joker" which both actors wisely tapped into.