Three Years Since Jerry Died

Lurker

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be sure to listen to some Goldsmith today.

Neil

Actually a tough thing to do, since there's hardly a day without Goldsmith music for me, and I couldn't really think up something "original" to listen to (long unplayed scores), so I'm keeping it "simple".

next: Under Fire

Thinking back, there really has been an obvious decline in the number of interesting/anticipated scores since Goldsmith's death. Fortunately, we still have all that great music, and every now and again a new classy release comes out. And I can't wait for that biography.

8O Night Crossing

We celebrated it yesterday with Carol Heather Goldsmith in Úbeda. It was a really moving moment, she spoke about Jerry for half an hour answering our questions, and she was very pleased to see Jerry's music has yet that much impact in people.

A 20 minutes long video with Jerry's music in the background, and a final piano concert performing some arrangements from some of his themes ended the first day of this Film Music Festival.

Best regards,

Peio

Look at it this way, he has left us the greatest inheritance any inheritor could ever hope for.

Composers like Goldsmith and John Williams have not and will not only leave us their bodies of work, but also they've molded and shaped the newer generations of composers we have.

Wow, that's funny...not more than an hour ago I was sitting around, thinking about The Wind and the Lion, and how the first time I saw the film and heard the music was on Turner Classic Movies. I'm pretty sure it was right after Jerry died, and they were paying tribute to him. Before the film, Robert Osbourne said that The Wind and the Lion was his favorite Goldsmith score.

And now it's one of my favorties, too. Needless to say, I'll certainly be giving the score a listen later.

But the good thing is that there is so much of his music to choose from.

That's what actually held me off for a long time. I just didn't know where to start. I loved Gremlins, but of course, that was unreleased (still is, actually). :|

I listened to Star Trek: The Motion Picture today. One of the best scores you can find.

- Marc, listening to Gremlins now. :)

Damn...been two years all ready since the great Goldsmith died? Sure doesn't seem that long...

"He's not really dead, as long as we remember him."

I think I'll do a little contrabution for him today to.

:| - Star Trek The Motion Picture full score.

today is an all JW for me today, no JG available to listen too.

• 11 months later...

Three years today, I just read at FSM.

Today I'll listen to Star Trek - The Motion Picture, the Omen trilogy, The Last Run and The Sand Pebbles. Maybe some others too, if I have the time.

I've been loading my iPod and last night The Wind And The lion, Star Trek The Motion Picture and Studs Lonigan were among the albums I was putting into iTunes.

I had to stop and listen to them.

I'm such a friggin' newbie :D ; I have yet to hear any Goldsmith.

You're missing out! Here is some recommended listeing...

LEGEND -- a gorgeously lush fantasy score for orchestra and chorus. There are occassioanal brief songs within some of the cues which are not to everyone's taste, but this is certainly Goldsmith's best score in the fantasy genre.

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE -- a trumphant, Williams-esque main theme, along with a beautiful love theme and some of Goldsmith's most interesting use of abstract sounds, all forming one of his most epic and expansive scores.

UNDER FIRE -- a passionate, Latin-flavored score featuring solo guitar and South American pan-pipes, along with synthesizers and full orchestra. Arguably his best ethnic score.

TOTAL RECALL -- a big, imposing science-fiction / action score, with some of Goldsmith's most adrenal action music ever. This is a score of both otherwordly beauty and sheer rage.

PLANET OF THE APES -- one of his more abstract scores, but absolutely captivating, and it teleports the listener to a truly alien world. Some excellent (at times frightening) chase music as well.

These are just a few. I'm sure others have more Goldsmith scores to reccomend.

It seems a bit in poor taste to deviate from the subject just slightly, but I wanted to ask.

I've heard something about a little surprise at the end of Jerry's Alien Nation CD? What was it? Or am I confusing it with something else?

Some of my earliest film music memories are from Goldsmith, long before I even knew who he was.

My family had Medicine Man on cassette for the longest time. On some of our home movies you can hear it in the background. I remember playing with medieval themed Legos while listening to Night Battle from First Knight. Patton is another early one, introduced to me by an older brother.

My horizons have expanded since, but I've still got much more Goldsmith to experience. Thanks for all the recommendations.

What I'm familiar with:

Medicine Man

First Knight

Patton

Small Soldiers

Mulan

The Mummy

The 13th Warrior

Air Force One (Main Theme)

Star Trek: TMP (Main Theme and Klingon Attack)

Rio Lobo

A word about Rio Lobo. I caught it on TCM a few months ago. Another John Wayne western in the same vein as El Dorado and Rio Bravo. I was very pleasantly surprised to see Goldsmith come up on the opening credits. I had to get the score after the movie. It features a beautiful, almost melancholy, main theme on guitar. I'm not very good at describing music, but as I listen to it now it kinda gives the feeling of a great old cowboy whose time has come. Very appropriate for remembering Jerrald King Goldsmith.

:D Rio Lobo

I ordered the expanded "Burbs" today. Can't wait! Jerry is still alive in all of our hearts and ears.

It's an answering machine message left by Jerry.

Neil

Is he chewing out Lukas Kendall for giving him another bad review?

Fascinating. I must hear this - can someone send me the track, please?

R.I.P. Jerry Goldsmith, one of (if not the) most inventive composers of all time. :D

Love his music,

The Legend, Star Trek The Motion Picture, The Russian House loved his efforts @ the Mummy too

I am missing him from the scene. Big time